Why become a member? ×

Digitech Bass Whammy, Any Cheaper Alternatives? For Playing Tool Stuff

Ant_On_Bass

Basically I want to play the song Disposition by Tool, I love the haunting feel to it, however I have a stumbling block being the bass whammy. I don't particularly want to spend £300 on a bass whammy just for playing Tool stuff now and again so I was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative or any clones made? From what ive read he uses a 5th octave up setting, which doesn't appear to be on the guitar version of the digitech.

Any help would be much appreciated.

The XP-100 whammy has the 5th/octave up harmony mode that he uses for Disposition, mine works a treat. The xp-100 has a lot more modes too, apparently the bass whammy sounds better, but to be honest I think that assessment is usually made by people who've spent the equivalent of a half-decent car on a bass whammy. Mine is one of my essential pedals, they can be had for < £100, in fact I think someone's selling one in the classifieds at the moment.

I have a couple complaints with the XP100: Firstly, it sounds really digital. Secondly, it 'lags' a little when you actually play. The note comes out a little bit after you actually play it. This might not bug some people, but for me, I just can't stand playing through something like that. Can't offer an opinion on the M5, however.

[quote name='Ant_On_Bass' timestamp='1363913091' post='2019619']
I don't particularly want to spend £300 on a bass whammy just for playing Tool stuff now and again

[/quote]

Sadly, you'd be pretty lucky to bag a Bass Whammy for £300

• 2 weeks later...