Why become a member? ×

where did the shoddy ebmm thread go, did I miss something?

stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1363904231' post='2019424']
I had been following the thread, at the time, and can confirm that there may have been grounds for protecting BC in some posts by members. I also feel that total deletion is not the best solution (although much easier than others, I'll allow...). Deletion of individual phrases or posts, replacing them with an explanation, would be more satisfactory, I would suggest. More time spent, but better than re-writing history (by deleting any and all in one swoop...).
I'm a mod on another forum, and can understand the time and effort that goes into the admin and mod roles. I also would suggest that there is a deontology which goes with the role.
Just my opinion, no malice intended.
[/quote]
The comments about Ernie Ball had been quoted by others and salvaging the thread would have required modding multiple posts and changing part of the original premise for the thread. There was nothing wrong with the observations being made, the issue was the conclusions reached about Ernie Ball as a result of those observations.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1363904231' post='2019424']

I had been following the thread, at the time, and can confirm that there may have been grounds for protecting BC in some posts by members. I also feel that total deletion is not the best solution (although much easier than others, I'll allow...). Deletion of individual phrases or posts, replacing them with an explanation, would be more satisfactory, I would suggest. More time spent, but better than re-writing history (by deleting any and all in one swoop...).
I'm a mod on another forum, and can understand the time and effort that goes into the admin and mod roles. I also would suggest that there is a deontology which goes with the role.
Just my opinion, no malice intended.
[/quote]

I believe the thread in question is already being looked at to see if we can do that.
The problem with an exercise like this is that it can make a conversational thread totally nonsensical with deleted quotes littered all over the place.

EDIT: Answer above.

As an unbiased neutral with no strong feelings pro or con EBMM, I think the issues raised in the initial premise are probably practiced in pretty much every mass-produced instrument, so probably a little unfair on EBMM. I dare say other makers fill similar gaps up with just the finish, thereby putting LESS apparent effort in.

[quote name='Lynottfan' timestamp='1363904342' post='2019428']
I must say that I have always found EBMM to be a straight as a die bunch, and its not every forum on the net where the CEO does come and chew the fat with you
[/quote]

As long as you're singing from the same hymn sheet and not complaining, otherwise you may find yourself censored! Vote with your feet, and buy basses from manufacturers that don't whitewash their negative press, or indeed, just don't get negative press...

I like EBMM basses on the whole - I am one of their customers , so I must do - but if Basschat is so cowed by their empty threats as to censor and censure perfectly reasonable opinions and observations then that is deplorable . Better not to have Basschat than be bullied by people desperate to control what people say and think . Did we stand up to the Third Reich only to be intimidated by Ernie Ball Music Man . ? Not good enough I'm afraid . Tell them too sue and be damned , or openly admit to the fact that some companies and individuals frighten you so much that posters aren't allowed to express honest views about them .

Edited by Dingus

Dingus - there is no reason for anyone to believe the threats are empty. We're not intimidated, but we are obliged to act within the law and the law is very clear about what constitutes defamation. If you could pop a couple of million quid in a paypal donation, we'll think about testing the water for you though.

Godwin's Law fulfilled in only 34 posts, that's pretty good going :)
"Not good enough I'm afraid, tell them too sue and be damned" is a very easy thing to say when you're not the site owner and you're not the one onto whose doormat a lawyer's letter would drop.