Why become a member? ×

Tobias advice please

sbrag

I'm considering getting a Tobias as we've just had a son and that is now his name so it seems fitting to think about a bass with his name on for whe he is old enough. Only trouble is ive never played one so could do with some advice.
Toby pros or mtd kingstons are more my price range but ive read that post gibson tobias' aren't propper ones so is it worth selling a kidney for a pre gibson one, or are the toby pro basses as good as they look? Thanks for any help.

What a great way of selling the idea of getting a new bass to the wife ! All I need to do now is conceive and push the suggestion that we should call the baby " Alembic Series 2 " to Mrs Dingus .

The more budget - priced MTD s basses are very well designed and good basses for the money . The U.S.A - made ones are some of the best basses money can buy , but are priced accordingly . Bass Direct are agents for both so ideally go there and try them , but failing that have a word with Mark who owns the shop . He's very friendly and helpful .

I've never played the Tobias Toby basses , but I would suspect they have very little to do with Mike Tobias and more to do with Gibson trying to get something out of the Tobias brand name that they bought . The MTD line on the other hand is very much Mike Tobias' brain child and he was instrumental in the designs and oversees the manufacturing . If your finances can stretch to it , something like and Mtd KZ series bass is meant to be a lot of high quality bass for very reasonable money considering what you get for it . Failing that one of the Saratoga basses is a good bet .

Edited by Dingus

The thru necked Toby Pro's are great value. They didn't skimp on the wood, just the electronics and hardware. Replace the bridge and preamp with upmarket versions and you'll have a great gigging bass. I was very impressed by how comfortable they were.

I like the MTD Grendel. Probably not many around, Czech made.

I also have a Tobias Growler. This is a Gibson era instrument, light, very powerful sound. TBF they don't have the best press but if it's the worst bass with Tobias written on it I'm well keen for a go on a decent one.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1364131716' post='2022183']
The thru necked Toby Pro's are great value. They didn't skimp on the wood, just the electronics and hardware. Replace the bridge and preamp with upmarket versions and you'll have a great gigging bass. I was very impressed by how comfortable they were.
[/quote]

But for that sort of money you could afford an 80's Aria SB through neck bass with great quality electronics and hardware.
Maybe rednecks with children called Jackson were angling for a guitar to play their Skynyrd tunes on?

Hi. Thanks for the comments. I just wish I lived nearer bass direct to try some mtds as they look bloody good basses. However as my boy is called tobias it seems more fitting to try and find abass of the same name.
Options at the moment seem to be a couple of Toby pros at £3to 400 , a jap built 5 string on here that looks lovely but is a bit out of my price range, the mtds at bass direct or to wait and see if anything more local comes up that I can try first.

Or my final option, which I shouldn't discount, is to ignore the coincidental sentimentality of choosing a name of a Bass maker and just buy a few quality basses for him and his sisters while they grow up and let them have a pick when they are old enough! It'll give me the excuse to a get an old Gibson or Guild that I currently have GAS for!

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1364210736' post='2023128']
But for that sort of money you could afford an 80's Aria SB through neck bass with great quality electronics and hardware.[/quote]
Perhaps not in a 5 or 6 string format though. :) Those Arias are great basses but they do sound a little nasal by comparison to a pimped Toby.

Despite their lesser reputation , the USA - made Gibson era basses can actually be very good basses . The Killer B model with a bolt on neck is an old favorite of mine , and those Gibson era Tobias's can be had for very reasonable money , so I wouldn't reject them out of hand . But yes , I would also explore the possibility of just buying a bass you like , regardless of the brand name .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='sbrag' timestamp='1364114839' post='2021942']
Thanks. If this had been intentional to buy a bass I'd have called him wal (and money was no object). Thanks for the mtd advice. Anyone know what the tobias Toby basses are like?
[/quote]
I owned one....a 6 string flame maple model. Build quality and playability was excellent for the money but the elecs were a bit weak. Overall a very well designed bass nicely put together. Pimp it up with some good pups and elecs and it will punch way over its weight!

I have a Toby Pro 4.

Plays really well and feels great. Nice through neck construction. As said above it could do with better active electronics. Bass frequencies are big and deep but the highs are a bit thin and clanky.

Often on the bay at around £250 ish.

If you fancy a drive over to Cardiff you are welcome to give mine a try

Edited by gelfin

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1364212685' post='2023171']
Perhaps not in a 5 or 6 string format though. :) Those Arias are great basses but they do sound a little nasal by comparison to a pimped Toby.
[/quote]

Fair point - I really like the tone of my SBR-80 and the only Toby Pro I tried was totally stock and sounded a bit bland but tone is subjective.

Aria do a 5 string SB bass but it's £2000 -ish so a little out of my price range.

[url="http://www.ariauk.com/aria-sb-1000-5b-bass-guitar/"]http://www.ariauk.com/aria-sb-1000-5b-bass-guitar/[/url]

Edited by megallica

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1364249946' post='2023968']
I have a Toby Pro 4.

Plays really well and feels great. Nice through neck construction. As said above it could do with better active electronics. Bass frequencies are big and deep but the highs are a bit thin and clanky.

Often on the bay at around £250 ish.

If you fancy a drive over to Cardiff you are welcome to give mine a try
[/quote]
Thanks. Won't be getting across the bridge any time soon but thanks for the offer.
I think Im going to sit tight and find a tobias that I cam either play first or is a bargin. Cheers for all the advice much appreciated.