Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Courier issues: Hardcase damaged by Fedex

Faithless

Hey guys,

Yesterday I've got a bass from local BC'er Dodge_Bass (wsup, man :) ! ), that was shipped from UK by Fedex in a hardcase.
The bass turned up being fine, while the hardcase was damaged during the transit.
Here's the pic:
[url="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200139716193173&set=o.209522495792938&type=1&theater"][b]Damaged Hardcase.[/b][/url]
Today I've called Fedex, and they said they need a photo proof of damaged case, and an i[b]n-detail story of how that happened (how the f*** would I know how that HAPPENED?!)[/b]...

The package was insured up to 1000 quid.
The main thing that I'm not sure is, how this deal is gonna go next - do I have to ask Fedex to cover the price of the hardcase, or what?
Secondly, do I want to give-away the hardcase for Fedex to inspect it, if they'll ask?

I've never dealt with damage claims like that, so all the help would be much appreciated,

Thanks
Laimis

Usually anything like this has to be dealt with by the sender, but, I would send them the photos as requested, with the following:

As requested, attached are photographs of the damage to the hard-case, relevant to shipment number xxxxx. I am unable to offer any details of how the damage occurred as it happened after collection from Dodge_Bass, and prior to delivery, whilst in the ownership of Fedex. This therefore severely limits my ability to provide any such details.

Additionally, keep any packaging - which presumably also shows damage, and confirm that the case wasn`t damaged, prior to sending all of this through - though I`m sure you`ve done that.

Usually, what I do if the outer carton is damaged is to politely ask the courier to hang on and then get a camera and photograph it in his presence and mark it as damaged. It used to be that you refused any damaged packages but the idea of circa £1k (for example) worth of bass lying about a warehouse until the issue gets sorted isn't sensible or practical.

With that damage, the carton should have visible impact damage in the same place, so photgraph that as well. Plus, if it's without doubt the courier caused it, it's the responsibilty of whoever arranged the freight & insurance. TF it aint the bass that's damaged - that's something to be thankful for.

Personally - and I've done it, my Fender case is quite battle scarred - I'd pull the busted bit of case out the hole & glue or gaffa it back in place then put it down to experience.
IF the bass is 100% then the case has done it's job!.......... IF that's all the damage there is?

It adds mojo & will live to do it's job many times more.

Thanks for the input, guys.
Thing is, I'm about to sell the hardcase, so I'd have to make a discount for something that's not my fault, really.
I still have the packaging, but, as the packaging is all just a bubble-wrap, you couldn't tell the damage by looking at that.

The damage was done to probably the weakest spot of the hardcase.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1363704336' post='2016154']
Personally - and I've done it, my Fender case is quite battle scarred - I'd pull the busted bit of case out the hole & glue or gaffa it back in place then put it down to experience. IF the bass is 100% then the case has done it's job!.......... IF that's all the damage there is?
It adds mojo & will live to do it's job many times more.
[/quote]

+1, if it was only wrapped in bubble wrap it's not surprising this occured. I suspect the courier would agrue that the case was not adequately protected to prevent damage to it and wouldn't honour a claim anyway. If the bass made it to you safely [i]that [/i]is what really matters.

Hard cases never sell for much anyway in my experience, so just move it on and consider it a lesson learned.

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1363706719' post='2016245']
It was sent without a proper box?![/quote]

Sorry to say I made that assumption since none was mentioned in the OP.

I've heard of flight-cases being shipped with just a label on and getting there but I wouldn't expert a standard ABS case to. I bought my SKB amp case from Thomann & it arrived safely in bubble-wrap & a box.

I'm not sure what terms Fedex have in place but I know RM will only cover cases if they are adequately packaged. At this point it's probably worth checking through Fedex's T&Cs, although as others have pointed out it's usually the sender that has to make the claim.

You should see the state the moulded hard case for my P bass special was in when the owner handed it over. Looked like it had been stood in some strong organic solvent, part of it had actually melted away. Gaffa tape covers all manner of hidden blemishes! I haven't got round to replacing it as the body shape is different to a regular P and most off the shelf cases won't fit it without going to those huge rectangular jobs.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1363706719' post='2016245']
It was sent without a proper box?!
[/quote]

Sure I sent it fully wrapped in a lot of bubble wrap having being read on this forum that it was probably better to send it with the handle showing (and therefore clearly an instrument) as opposed to a big box which could contain anything. Perhaps I was wrong (and happy to be so) but the other bass I sent to Europe similarly wrapped arrived fine and I've received multiple basses similarly packaged with no damage to their hard cases. I've also flown with my bass in lite-flight case only (not wrapped / packed) and put in the hold and only once in about 30 flights have I had any damage done to the case. I've also seen my bass from the aircraft window being lobbed down by the ground crew unloading and watched it drop down and clunk round a luggage conveyor....

*slightly defensive rant over* ;)

So...it's probably the luck of the draw I suspect with this kinda of thing. Also isn't this why we put instruments in flight cases - so the case, not the instrument, takes the damage when people throw it around, drop things on, its shifts in transit etc etc.

Faithless - I'm happy to provide you with backup re.the case although I don't have any photos of the actual case which probably doesn't help.

Email if there's anything I can do to help at all on this - sorry its proving a problem at your end. I never anticipated that you would have to claim on the flight case being damaged and that it would end up being the hassle its seeming to be.

Cheers

Ian

[quote name='dodge_bass' timestamp='1363821705' post='2018333']
Sure I sent it fully wrapped in a lot of bubble wrap having being read on this forum that it was probably better to send it with the handle showing (and therefore clearly an instrument) as opposed to a big box which could contain anything. Perhaps I was wrong (and happy to be so) but the other bass I sent to Europe similarly wrapped arrived fine and I've received multiple basses similarly packaged with no damage to their hard cases. I've also flown with my bass in lite-flight case only (not wrapped / packed) and put in the hold and only once in about 30 flights have I had any damage done to the case. I've also seen my bass from the aircraft window being lobbed down by the ground crew unloading and watched it drop down and clunk round a luggage conveyor....

*slightly defensive rant over* ;)

So...it's probably the luck of the draw I suspect with this kinda of thing. Also isn't this why we put instruments in flight cases - so the case, not the instrument, takes the damage when people throw it around, drop things on, its shifts in transit etc etc.

Faithless - I'm happy to provide you with backup re.the case although I don't have any photos of the actual case which probably doesn't help.

Email if there's anything I can do to help at all on this - sorry its proving a problem at your end. I never anticipated that you would have to claim on the flight case being damaged and that it would end up being the hassle its seeming to be.

Cheers

Ian
[/quote]

Ian - I wasn't attacking anyone on this, I was just shocked anything was sent without a proper box. Heck, when I ordered a very lightweight and super strong £140 hybrid case, it was packed inside a box, and bubbled inside the box.

I can see that a lot of wrapping of bubble wrap could help, but it would not stop proper force from damaging the case or indeed breaking the handle/badly scratching the case. Yes, cases are built to protect the bass, but not to be subjected to couriers without proper protection. We all know what they are like! :)

One thing I try to remember is that fear of rough treatment will make people pack better, and the items thus get larger and heavier, generating more income to the FedExes of this planet. Their incentive to avoid damage must be lower because of this.
I've seen a development in this respect in our local market, and assume something of the same is happening elsewhere.

Some items should be packed in bubble wrap only, to generate handling with care.
Cases are not amongst those items, I think, but I've safely sent 5- to 6-meter long sea kayaks in bubble wrap exclusively, for ten years.

best,
bert

Hard cases should be subjected to a 'courier test' during design and manufacture. If they can't handle typical handling by third party transport companies they are not fit for purpose. Do we now need cases for cases? where does it end?

[quote name='dodge_bass' timestamp='1363894316' post='2019128']
My bad then it seems :blush:[/quote]

I wouldn't say that - you just can't account for the unaccountable.
Twice I've shipped a valve amp head overseas. First one was a "Vamp" that went to Australia, second was a Hiwatt 200 that went to New York. In both cases it was boxed in a proper heavy duty amp cardboard box, about 6 inches of bubble-wrap & polystyrene monster munches then another cardboard box. Both shipped by FedEx, both arrived in as good a condition as they left........................EXCEPT!
.......... they both had smashed mains lamps on the front! How the hell just that is damaged behind about 8 inches of packing - twice! is beyond me!

BTW - the case in that OP pic looks identical (Gator???) to one I took a Tele to Holland in. Can't remember the airline but it arrived perfectly - it's just the luck of the draw. When I was collared by the customs I got edgy but he was just being a Dutch bloke who played & was being nosey. :lol:

Edited by Big_Stu