Why become a member? ×

"Hey man, can you send me the tabs of this?"

MiltyG565

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1363645630' post='2015367']
The whole culture around tabs reminds me of this old French & Saunders sketch. "But it hasn't got those little dots, for your fingers"....
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FroICbwvJII[/media]
[/quote]Ah thanks!! I love that sketch. One that always makes me chuckle :lol:

As for tab & requests for same I am afraid I come from the era of the record/cassette player and going over and over a track again to work it out. I also find tab difficul to read and would much prefer finding the dots.

I have had occasion to learn a load of songs in a short space of time recently and thought I'd give the tab sites a go. Either they didn't have the tab, or they did & it was largely crap and of little help, Most recently ended up writing a mix of rough chord charts with some or all of the dots (or at least a reasonable approximation) for feel.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1363737220' post='2016953']
!
[/quote]

Ha..! Just as I thought..! I can read the top stave, but not the lower section..! :rolleyes: It must be me, I suppose; too old. I'll be keeping the pencil.

([i]Thanks, just the same, I appreciate the effort. Sound Garden, perhaps..? No..?[/i])

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1363739706' post='2016985']
Ha..! Just as I thought..! I can read the top stave, but not the lower section..! :rolleyes: It must be me, I suppose; too old. I'll be keeping the pencil.

([i]Thanks, just the same, I appreciate the effort[/i]...)
[/quote]
Yeah, when I used it I had to make a list of the drums that the numbers represent. But you get used to it pretty quickly. Shame I never actually got around to finishing what I was doing with it.

i just remembered my first ever bass lesson 12 years after picking up the bass i was asked do you read dots ? i replied no
ok we shall do it in tab ! but im putting the legs on top so you can see the rhythm
i still just listened to the song for it wish i had spent more time on reading skills :(

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1363734799' post='2016916']
I agree with the piano part but I don't agree that Rock is 'ignorant' of music theory. At all. I bet almost all of rock musicians know music theory, maybe not to the same level as classical players but enough to get them by. This in itself doesn't make them ignorant.
[/quote]

mmmmmmmnah. I think you are wrong :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1363863790' post='2018511']

[/quote]
Just because you don't need to know all the theory to be able to play it, doesn't mean there isn't any behind it. I can't read music past a very basic level (which I only learned for learning to play the Penny Whistle) yet I used to be able to play Fur Elise on the Piano, does that mean Classical music is ignorant of theory?

I remember the chap who did the orchestra parts for Metallica's S&M album being surprised at just how steeped in theory Metallica's music actually is, even though the band were unaware of it. Though I believe Cliff Burton did know, which might explain a lot.

I still recon anyone who's made a success of a career in rock DOES know a good bit about music theory. It's just not "Rock 'n' Roll" to admit to it.

I can't believe many of the greats are, to quote Woody in Toy Story; "Falling with style"

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1363884565' post='2018938']
Just because you don't need to know all the theory to be able to play it, doesn't mean there isn't any behind it. I can't read music past a very basic level (which I only learned for learning to play the Penny Whistle) yet I used to be able to play Fur Elise on the Piano, does that mean Classical music is ignorant of theory?

I remember the chap who did the orchestra parts for Metallica's S&M album being surprised at just how steeped in theory Metallica's music actually is, even though the band were unaware of it. Though I believe Cliff Burton did know, which might explain a lot.
[/quote]

Obviously any western music ever played conforms to the theories of western music, but learning it and knowing it are very different things. Of course there is theory behind music, but i wasn't saying anything like that. What i was saying was that a lot of rock musicians, especially in the past, didn't have much knowledge of theory, not that they didn't know any at all. Obviously, learning theory comes when you start learning a classical instrument, because it's fairly useless without that knowledge unless you just want to play a couple of tunes at a party or something, but as part of an ensemble, as most classical instruments are, you need to know the theory.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1363886274' post='2018977']
I still recon anyone who's made a success of a career in rock DOES know a good bit about music theory. It's just not "Rock 'n' Roll" to admit to it.

I can't believe many of the greats are, to quote Woody in Toy Story; "Falling with style"
[/quote]

Quite a few did/do know music theory, to different degrees, but quite a few know/knew next to none. Flea had very little understanding of music theory until the early 2000's, and by that stage, he was playing music for 30 years or more. John Frusciante on the other hand knew quite a bit of music theory by the time he joined the band when he was 18. Both are fantastic musicians in their own right.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1363888329' post='2019019']
Obviously, learning theory comes when you start learning a classical instrument
[/quote]

So as the electric bass isn't a classical instrument, we don't learn any theory?

And before when you said Rock musicians are ignorant about theory, I would like to point you in the direction of Math Rock.. and also Led Zeppelin. I'm sure these people know/knew a hell of a lot of theory.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1363863790' post='2018511']
[/quote]

And I feel the same about you :)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1363901449' post='2019310']
I didn't hang out with the wrong sort of people until I joined Basschat :P
[/quote]

Basschat is like duck tape...

it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.*

[size=1]*may have previously been a star wars joke about the force.[/size]

Edited by MiltyG565

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1363901652' post='2019320']
So as the electric bass isn't a classical instrument, we don't learn any theory?
[/quote]

Putting words in my mouth. That's not what i said at all, and you know it.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1363901652' post='2019320']
And I feel the same about you :)
[/quote]

CURSES! :rolleyes:

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1363901742' post='2019323']

Basschat is like duck tape...

it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.*

[size=1]*may have previously been a star wars joke about the force.[/size]
[/quote]

But the force is strong with me ;)

I think having been classically trained in my youth has helped me as an adult joining the wonderful world of being a bassist?