Why become a member? ×

instrument cables all snarled up, any tips?

skidder652003

Throw them all in a bag and relish the twenty minute job of extracating every lead from the knotted mass at the next gig. I have tried the gentle loop and twist and the famed fold and knot etc still ends up in the good old tug and shout when I next want to use it :rolleyes:

I've always found that with the twist method it is obvious which way the gentle twist should be. Try in the other direction and you can feel that it is fighting to twist the other way.

Years ago I occasionally helped a mate out with his mobile disco and was the only helper allowed to coil leads as I could do it properly and not get them into a rats nest. Had it drummed into me at that early age and it stuck with me.

Now in conjunction with a decent hard case & velcro ties on everything gear goes away & comes out again the next time easily :D - and it does annoy me when someone [i]helpfully[/i] coils up one of my leads & I have to unwind it and start again. Thankfully normally it's a mains 4way and the old "wind the cable in tight loops round the board :angry:

Edited by WalMan

I'm absolutely convinced that there is a "lead gremlin" goes in my box every night and messes my cables up. After every gig (as mentioned before) I meticulously twist and loop my leads and lay them flat in my old army ammunition box; but sure enough, next time, come to get them out.......they're twisted & knotted like a chinese puzzle; it's one of life's mysteries I'm afraid ... :D
Bottom line though is, good quality cables, twisted, looped & stored correctly = long life;...............definitely don't tie & knot them !!

Edited by onemanband

Something I like to do is dangle my cables from a height to allow them to untwist unimpeded. I'm fortunate enough to have a long drop, straight down, above our stairs that I use. But you could always hang them out a window, let them untwist and loop them as you gather them back up. If your cables are really bad and need to be warmed up, you could hang them out of the window in the sun for a few minutes before looping them back up.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1363608556' post='2014581']
I got a slight bollocking off one of Slade's roadies while helping pack up after a gig in the '80s. I'd been doing it round the elbow & over a hooked thumb way. That's what buckles cable he said (I won't do the accent).

He showed exactly the same way as in Heminders featured YT video above.
[/quote]

Oops, I've been doing it round the elbow for years!

One tip I was given years ago and forgot in my earlier post; make your own "cable ties".

Buy a metre or so of stick n' stick " velcro (any good market, B&Q or haberdashery store). Taking [u][b][i]great care[/i][/b][/u] to line it up, stick it back to back and then cut in to pieces of any desired length. BINGO!! no more tangled cables!!...........custom cable ties, much cheaper than buying ready made ones, and can be used for tying long cable runs on stage too.

This tip was given freely and without charge !! :D

Edited by onemanband

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1363630957' post='2015018']
I've always found that with the twist method it is obvious which way the gentle twist should be. Try in the other direction and you can feel that it is fighting to twist the other way.
[/quote]

Absolutely - which makes it a lot easier in practice that it might look. Everyone should at least give it a try to see how easy it.

Plus, it's one of those little life skills that can stand you in good stead for all manner of things. I once took a yachting course and part of it was how to correctly coil and stow lines (tip for land lubbers - yachts don't have ropes ;) ) and was the only one who could do it right first time, much to the awe of the other course participants. :lol:

Loop and twist every time. I use reusable electric cable ties. When I use a cable the cable tie is hung on the handle of the mixer case or bass cab then at the end of the night if you have a cable tie left over one of your band mates has nicked a cable!!!!!

Maybe too much work, but for longer cables I've made cable hangers, much akin to garden hose hangers, with clamcleats for the cable ends, and a velcro strip to fix the cable coil to the hanger.

Still loop and twist, but with the huge advantage that cable ends have no chance in their spaghetti inspirations.
As to spaghetti, IME it's the weighted ends (weighted by plugs and allsorts) that ruin the whole coil. They're evil, and cunning at finding the right way to make a mess.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor