Why become a member? ×

Why do we gig?

Clarebear68

Nearly 30 years ago (god I feel old now) the originals band I played in would gig for next to nothing but always got paid something, we were glad for the exposure. I remember playing at The Royal Standard in Walthamstow where we got £30 then were asked if we wanted to use the house PA £15 and lights £10 of course we did so traveled from Derby to London and played for a fiver! Was a great gig though and we did it lots of times.

Nowadays I play in 2 covers bands and neither will go out for less than £200, £300+ is the norm and always agree the fee prior to taking a booking. Our diary is full. For private parties we insist on payment upfront. [size=4]Make yourselves a promo pack with a CD, a biography, some photos showing a crowd enjoying themselves etc. Promote and advertise your gigs too, put out leaflets with your upcoming gigs on and make sure you advertise how to contact you. Set up a website and use social media.[/size]

I think that bands that charge £150 or less or even play for free bring the average price paid down for everyone else, DJs get more than that around here.
If a pub wants to book a band they have to be prepared to pay regardless of how much I enjoy it.

Whilst I can sympathize with a pub landlord - profit levels are not what they used to be, they still have higher takings when they have a band on. If they are not making enough to pay for the band then they need to rethink their business strategy - its not the bands fault (unless they are crap and everyone leaves).

And "pah" to pay to play - it would soon fizzle out if everyone said f*** that!

We have shelled out nearly £8k on PA equipment in the last few months (in one of the bands) and slightly less in the other, we also have to buy strings, fuel, beer :P[size=4] [/size][size=4] etc,[/size]

Best of all, I still love playing and get a buzz out of every gig - but couldn't afford to do it for free.

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1363596839' post='2014387']
History has surely taught us the vile nature of hate... I really dislike it being implied in any conversation...
[/quote]

Oh dear. I don't think saying the word 'hate' is abrasive or abusive, is it? I saw no malice in Milty's post. He makes a valid point.
There's a lot of things I really dislike being implied online too, but that's the nature of a General Discussion forum.

If I'm doing original material, I'm happy to have the gig just cover the costs of petrol etc. If it's covers, then you must pay decent dosh please. :)
If the venue can't afford to pay you, then they can't afford to have bands on. Simple.
Apparently prices for bands are going down round here, and this is largely because of groups of either kids, or middle-aged hobbyists happily playing for free, or very little, because they "aren't in it for the money".
Good for them, crap for those who actually do need the money, and without the 2nd income from the gigs, would have a pretty crappy standard of living (not me anymore, but was very much this a couple of years ago).

Covers for cash, originals for love, Ok?
YMMV
:)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363601458' post='2014439']
Oh dear. I don't think saying the word 'hate' is abrasive or abusive, is it? I saw no malice in Milty's post. He makes a valid point.
There's a lot of things I really dislike being implied online too, but that's the nature of a General Discussion forum.
[/quote]

You must have missed the post describing someone's opinion as useless and that he hated it enough to emphasize the word in capitals....

Edited by OldG

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1363594337' post='2014363']
And that warrants HATE? Have a word with yourself!
[/quote]

I hate the analogy, so what?

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1363596138' post='2014374']
Its ok dude, not worth getting excited about. Its easy for individuals to be abrasive, rude and obnoxious over a keyboard online. Its an unfortunate downside of internet communications between strangers who will never meet face to face.

Apologies to any other members who found my use of analogies useless and hateful lol!
[/quote]

What's the issue? I hate the use of the analogy, i don't find it hateful, and i don't hate anybody for using it.

Seriously, i need a word with myself? Practice what you preach, guys.

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1363601902' post='2014445']
You must have missed the post describing someone's opinion as useless and that he hated it enough to emphasize the word in capitals...[/quote]

What, Milty's reaction to the analogy about toilet flushing..? I don't think WC was too bothered about that, really.
Water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned.

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1363601902' post='2014445']
You must have missed the post describing someone's opinion as useless and that he hated it enough to emphasize the word in capitals....
[/quote]

An analogy isn't an opinion. Hating an analogy which isn't relevant to this discussion won't bring about the end of the world. And i think you'll find i didn't disagree at all with the point being made, but even if i had, what's the problem? It's a forum after all, that's what happens. That's the point.

I have to admit to having done at least 3 or 4 'first one for free' gigs at local venues but we've always been pretty confident we would get other gigs out of it and so far it's worked and we've been re-booked every time. I dislike it intensely, (no, I'm not saying 'hate'!) but unfortunately I've been outvoted 4 to 1 so there it is. As a band though we're simply not doing gigs where the fee has any kind of variance. Absolutely NO 'percentage of bar takings' or 'people on the door' gigs. How do we know how many drinks the bar has sold? Those gigs where there isn't a set fee are the ones where the landlord is always adjusting. How many times have to heard "well that's £300 for you guys but you used the PA, the soundman needs his £50 and someone stepped on a monitor, so here's your £90." Nope. Agree a fee, have it in writing and stick to it.

Milton,you totally miss my point......

I took exception to the abrasive manner with which you dismissed White Cloud - i don't agree with the analogy myself either, but then I'd be polite enough to discuss my different opinion without calling anyone's opinion useless....

It seems I'm flogging a dead horse trying to get you to show a bit of consideration to others - obviously you don't get out much.

Edited by OldG

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1363594491' post='2014364']
and read [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/199818-important-notice-aggressive-behaviour-abusive-posting-abrasive-posting/page__pid__1979452#entry1979452"]this[/url] while you're at it....
[/quote]

Look dude, maybe you are just having one of those days, or maybe this is how you usually get on, i don't know, but i know there was no trouble with me saying i hate an analogy and find it useless until you decided to get particularly upset on somebody else's behalf. I wasn't being abrasive, or abusive, and it's a very rare occasion on here when i am (ask anyone).

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1363603269' post='2014471']

I took exception to the abrasive manner with which you dismissed White Cloud - i don't agree with the analogy myself either, but then I'd be polite enough to discuss my different opinion without calling anyone's opinion useless....

It seems I'm flogging a dead horse trying to get you to show a bit of consideration to others - obviously you don't get out much.
[/quote]

Excuse me? I didn't dismiss his opinion AT ALL! I agreed with it! I dismissed the analogy, which has come up in other threads and i have given it the same regard. No obviously i don't get out much, because if you knew me at all, you would know i can't very well get out much. Thank you, goodbye.

[quote name='AndyR' timestamp='1363597878' post='2014395']
It is 28 years since I played my first gig :huh: .

I still play in an originals band who are gigging fairly regularly. The decline in the number of pubs is particularly well documented (20-30 per week). We are finding the waiting time to get a gig is become more and more extended as there are the same number of bands and less places to play. Market forces are such that prices are therefore falling. The positive side is that you have to have an increasingly quality set. Anyone else noticing the trend on price?
[/quote]

We do mainly covers but since we are known in the few pubs that we play, we wouldn't be concerned what the set was covers or originals ..and nor should the Landlord be..
I would expect him to complain about the numbers through the door regardless, so bands have always lived or died by their set, anyway. IMO.

As regards the fees.... we have put them up for this year..altho we find some pubs bulk beyond £250... so there needs to be a very special reason why we play those..mainly, that they are old friends and we go way back in a musically sense.

Personally, I think less venues/pubs is not always a bad thing as you would hope that the better bands would work them...but that also assumes you are happy getting into or being in that group.
In this numbers games, is it better to have 5 venues struggling to get their share or 2 pubs getting very good crowds and the standard is high..and the LL does not mind paying good money if he is confident he will earn from it?

There aren't the live music numbers there were...IMO... but there are some very well attended pubs on music nights. The best pub in my town can run 4 music nights... and two of those will not pay so well, but they are useful as feeder /demo nights.

[/quote]

Can we calm this down please, this is all getting far too personal. From what I can tell Milty expressed that he hated people using what is essentially a useless analogy (sorry but I can't see how it fits either) but agreed with the general sentiment of the post. Maybe it was missing some kind of smiley but that's hardly a crime :)

why do we gig? because most Humans crave being liked and what better way then have a room full of people having a good time because of something you're doing? As for payment, I don't do it for the money but it's a pleasant bonus, agree a fee first even if it's a low one then everybody is happy. Look what money Premiership Footballers on on, but if they weren't good enough they would play on the local park for nothing, it's the same with bands

[/quote]

Most words have different meaning to most people. I hate potatoes but that doesn't mean I want to dig them all up and burn them.

Btw in nearly all your replies you where a bit on the rude side yourself dude " have a word with yourself " and " read this "

Obviously it means more to you but that's hardly his fault.

D

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1363606834' post='2014543']
Most words have different meaning to most people. I hate potatoes but that doesn't mean I want to dig them all up and burn them.

Btw in nearly all your replies you where a bit on the rude side yourself dude " have a word with yourself " and " read this "

Obviously it means more to you but that's hardly his fault.

D
[/quote]

I did find it ironic...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363601854' post='2014444']
Fixed for you, Dave. :P[size=4] ;)[/size]
[/quote]

Ideally mark yes.... :)

In the past I have done a couple of freebies, but they were usually in pubs that had let us use rooms for rehearsals for months for nothing, and the free rehearsal agreement came with one gig for nowt as our payment.

Also, I once did a gig for free drinks where the landlord regretted it, as paying us would have been a lot cheaper. :) we were young, we could still take it.
Even in the last 6 years or so we had one fairly dim landlord who haggled by dropping the price we asked for by 20 quid and added free drinks to the deal.
he also regretted it, we may be older now, but by golly we can still drink (he also agreed to pay for the taxi home, and let us stash the gear in his pub for the night.)
:)

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1363606834' post='2014543']
[/quote]

Please dig them up and burn them! Then we can all have jacket potatoes :D

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1363607449' post='2014557']

Please dig them up and burn them! Then we can all have jacket potatoes :D
[/quote]
Lol I still hate.... Sorry dislike them, this coming from an Irish man too

But yes your right farmers weekly is the place for that kind of chit chat