Why become a member? ×

450 miles from home for 1 gig! Aberdeen to Leicester.

16Again

I've been asked if i could dep for a band down in Leicester (i live in aberdeen), i've never met any of the guys in the band, they saw me doing some tunes by The Jam on youtube and have asked if i could do it!
I'd be playing about 30 or so tunes at the swadlincote scooter rally and they will pay my travel down and back and give me accomadation and £150 for the gig!

The band are called Fire and Skill, anyone know of this band?

I've never depped so far away from home and with people i dont know,really flattering that they think i'm worth getting down to play, i can play all the songs that not a problem but just wondered what you guys think, should i just do it as an adventure or what?

whats Leicester like?

davie.

On a slight tangent, but still firmly on the subject of excessive distance to gigs, the most illogical piece of scheduling I've ever been involved with ([b]ALL [/b]from the same agent) was:

Thursday night: Gig in Chelmsford.
Friday night: Gig in Aberdeen (that's what teminded me!!)
Saturday/Sunday/Monday: Gigs in Belfast.

[b]There's[/b] a man who desperately needed an Atlas.

[quote name='chris_b' post='206487' date='May 26 2008, 12:24 PM']Tell them you want the expenses defined and paid before you travel and the £150 in cash on the night. A 17 hours drive is bit much, can you do it on the train?[/quote]

aye, i can do it by train at a cost of about £60 for 2 single journeys or if i buy a return it cost £340!! :)
The more i think about it the more i want to do it!!

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='206508' date='May 26 2008, 12:54 PM']Thursday night: Gig in Chelmsford.

[b]There's[/b] a man who desperately needed an Atlas.[/quote]

god, that sounds a bit tiring! :)

Do it!!!

The Scooter Fairs are usually a reet good do!! - I dont know of the band but try putting a post on pineapster -

www.pineapster.com

to get some more info...alternatively I dont mind sticking a note on there for you?

Get the train!!! - I have family in Milltimber and its a killer of a drive...i reckon at best its 7 hours each way and you feel like a bag of shi1te after!!!

PM me if you want me to put the feelers out!!!

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='206508' date='May 26 2008, 12:54 PM']On a slight tangent, but still firmly on the subject of excessive distance to gigs, the most illogical piece of scheduling I've ever been involved with ([b]ALL [/b]from the same agent) was:

... there's somewhere to play in chelmsford?

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='206773' date='May 26 2008, 08:00 PM']... there's somewhere to play in chelmsford?[/quote]

Know what you mean!! :)

From memory, it was quite a big night club type of place on the main pedestrian area. This was in 2000, so no doubt it's gone bust and been "refurbed" half a dozen times since then. :huh: :huh:

I know where you are. nightclub, forget its name, old cinema now a club of old(er) folks.
Chelmsford used to have tthe army and navy, our own wee venue/gay bar which was great, then they turne it into a 'sports bar' it had no customers and shut. i have no idea where you find music now bar the jazz club.... but hey ho, this essexboy lives in edinburgh now. (so can go through to Glasgow for the music! :) )

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='206508' date='May 26 2008, 12:54 PM']On a slight tangent, but still firmly on the subject of excessive distance to gigs, the most illogical piece of scheduling I've ever been involved with ([b]ALL [/b]from the same agent) was:

I once did Bonn to Dresden 14 hrs, consecutive nights, Zurich to Brighton (not flying... in a plane anyway!) and Dresden to Manchester 24 hrs, not to mention one gig in Taiwan.

[quote name='16Again' post='206511' date='May 26 2008, 12:54 PM']aye, i can do it by train at a cost of about £60 for 2 single journeys or if i buy a return it cost £340!!
The more i think about it the more i want to do it!![/quote]
Do it, but if travel is paid for the cost isn't your problem!

My longest journey to a gig was in a van from Brussels to the Midem Festival in Nice, about 750 miles!!