Why become a member? ×

BassChat Blog - Competition time again - Win strings!

Dood

Hi everyone!

Well, I'll keep it short and sweet. Head over to the BassChat Blog for a chance to get your hands on some new D'addario Balanced Tension strings!!

[url="http://blog.basschat.co.uk/competition-daddario-introduce-new-balanced-tension-sets-for-guitar-and-bass/"]http://blog.basschat.co.uk/competition-daddario-introduce-new-balanced-tension-sets-for-guitar-and-bass/[/url]

I've lots of goodies to be giving away in coming weeks, so keep your eyes open for more posts!

So.. go on! What are you waiting for???

Having grown frustrated with the difficulties of getting my favourite LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels I would have loved to give these a go. However there's no 5-string sets. And considering that if the claims being made for balanced tension are true that's where D'Addario could really clean up with a great low B-string.

:-(

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1363095310' post='2008313']
The 4 string A 50-120 (Medium) ? Are you sure? That's a bigggggggg medium for an E :P
[/quote]

The packet says medium!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1363097355' post='2008383']
Check the picture in the blog! :)
[/quote]
Yeah I did, must be for downtuned 4's I suppose :unsure: but still can't see how 120 is medium :o

Edit: I'm just thinking that most 4 string nuts are going to need filing out to take a 120 & once done there's no going back, if you want to change back to more normal (say 95 - 105) E string sizes you're going to need a new nut!

Edited by KiOgon

The gauges are because they are supposed to be balanced tension. If you look at the tensions of a standard set of bass strings, normally the D is the highest and string tension reduces on the lower strings. You are going to need to increase the weight in order to get closer to equal tension from one string to the next.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1363098804' post='2008432']
The gauges are because they are supposed to be balanced tension. If you look at the tensions of a standard set of bass strings, normally the D is the highest and string tension reduces on the lower strings. You are going to need to increase the weight in order to get closer to equal tension from one string to the next.
[/quote]

Thank you - this makes perfect sense. I noticed before how the D always seems to have the highest tension in the whole set, be it 4 or 5 strings, and regardless of whether the set as a whole is "soft" or "hard", so it's intriguing to see it's not just me the fumbling middle-aged newbie bassist noticing that :D Slightly OT, but I'm now curious - any particular reason why that happens?

Congratulations to the following, you will be receiving the bass string sets for review in the post over the next few days or so.

Dean P Nutt (Dean P Nutt) will be reviewing at the EXL170BT set
(Machines) will be reviewing at the EXL220BT
Gregg Mudd (fivestring.co.uk) will be reviewing the EXL160BT

• 2 weeks later...

So! Winners should have had their strings for a bit of time now and forming opinions. We all look forward to reading your reviews! - Remember, best review wins an extra lil' prize from me! - It'll be a good prize!

What do we think, how about a poll for you all to vote on?

- I've also posted my thoughts about the BT set I've had on my Shuker recently elsewhere on the forum too.

Look out for some more competitions coming up in the future!

• 2 weeks later...

Short review of the 50-120 set:

I usually play 5 string, but often I teach 4 string bass too so I thought I'd post this quick review. Being wary about the thicker gauges, I chose a cheap passive Crafter bass I have lying about to be the guinea pig. The bass was strung with 'factory' strings, and sounded just fine for a bass that would more often than not, just be lent out to students or serve as a teaching instrument if needed. I recorded (very quickly and shoddily) a short bass riff before these strings were removed, and then re-recorded a similar line with the new strings on (MP3 attached). Apart from having to file the nut to get the E and A strings to fit, I only have praise for these strings. The environmentally friendly packaging, the colour coded ball-ends and the tight E-string are all great. The sound is bright, but time will tell how quickly this brightness and attack will decay. The balance and tightness is even across the strings. The slap sound has lots of attach, and a pleasing sound is achievable with a plectrum too. Ideally, I would like to try out a five string set to see how they fair against the Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's (45-130) I usually use.

For reference, the short recording was conducted with everything flat on the bass (Crafter Congress 4 Passive) and amp (Genz Benz GBE600 with Neox 212)

Hope this helps

Greg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all!

So, it has been a while since I have posted on this competition thread - it seems we lost a set of strings that should have arrived to Dean P Nut. D'addario have very kindly offered to send a set out for me to Dean so we can get a third review together as per the rules of the competition.

Greg and Matt, don't forget that the rules of the competition were to post your reviews in the review section of BassChat as we would really like to push the use of the review section of the forum. It's a great place to share your thoughts along with glossy images and sound clips to go with your responses. (I use the review section and would love to see more kit in there!)

Anyway, that aside - please do check out the instructions again winners and lets hear about these strings!

Oh, if you have the heavy set, how is it for drop tuning?

I'm going to promote the Reviews section on Twitter from now on.
[b]BUT [/b]- Dan, would you mind correcting the rogue apostrophe in the subforum's name? "Basschatters' Reviews", please, not "Basschatter's Reviews" - there are many of us, not only one :)

End of pedantic post! :D

Edit: the above doesn't mean the error was your "fault", obviously. Thanks for your hard work :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by bluejay