Why become a member? ×

Bass cupboard

neepheid

Ever since we changed from a conventional boiler to a combi, we've had this empty, unused space in the bedroom where the tanks used to be. My wife suggested that I turn it into a "bass cupboard". Not a bad idea. Well, here's the space:

Fly in my ointment - pipes sticking up from the conversion - I feel if I box around these I'll need to provide some means of accessing these, just in case something bad happens:

Unexpected bonus - wiring just about all in place for a light in the cupboard:

I guess in starting this thread I'm looking to give myself a kick up the butt to get it started (because this has been spoken about for a few months now), also looking for any advice that people can give regarding materials (like padding for the base and neck supports that I'll have to make).

If either of those pipes handle hot water, I'd be inclined to either insulate round them like crazy, or else box them in (removable panel for access) but leave them with a vent to the outside world.. I wouldn't fancy a heated bass cupboard!
Pipe insulation is also good stuff for supports padding, also that springy foam some electronics come with.
That front cross-member can probably come out with impunity - it was most likely there for security of the tank.
Two softwood planks at suitable angles to form a V work really nicely (and easily!) for bottom supports (oo-err!) and a third one with dowels for neck support/separators.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1363095860' post='2008331']
So, anyone got any [i]useful[/i] advice or comments for me? ;)
[/quote]Yeah put a massive baffle on the front, load it with 4, 15" speakers and annoy the neighbourhood! :D

Oh you said 'useful'. Sorry ;)

I built a food cupboard than happened to have a couple of heating pipes running up the back. Insulate them with a bit of rockwool (loft insulation) and box them in and you'll be fine. No need to add any kind of vents, it's only a short run of pipe. I used big screws covered in that foam tube they use for bike handlebars for my instrument hangers.

• 2 months later...

Cheers for the advice folks. Well, I finally got off my butt and made a start. Removed all the middle shelf supports except for the very back one. Cut back the old redundant pipes at the back. Built a wee box around the pipes.

This hasn't cost me a bean yet apart from time - everything is reclaimed from what was there (or from when I dismantled the balustrade off the stairs and fitted the handrail with brackets). Next step is the neck support. Quite liking the idea of the massive screws covered in foam.

Yes, I know those screws aren't countersunk - I can't find my countersink bit for the life of me, will probably have to go buy another one. Why isn't it with the rest of my drill bits? Agh!

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1368437409' post='2076930']
Yes, I know those screws aren't countersunk - I can't find my countersink bit for the life of me, will probably have to go buy another one. Why isn't it with the rest of my drill bits? Agh!
[/quote]

Just give the holes a touch with a larger drill bit. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Made some progress on this today - a neck support:

Delays incurred because 12mm B&Q dowel isn't 12mm. Had to find an 11mm router bit for a nice snug fit. The foam is nicked from an old guitar stand/rack. Sliced the foam lengthways then poked holes in it for the dowels to poke through. It's pretty solid as is but I think I might glue it down to be sure.

Next step: the floor.

Edited by neepheid

Began work on the floor last night - the slats, once padded will stop the basses wanting to spin or twist round when sitting in the rack. Still got a couple to put on the lid of the pipe box, but it was getting late.

Edited by neepheid

• 2 weeks later...

Work is slowly progressing - the padding is quite a faff. I thought I could just sheet it across in one go but the stuff is too springy, so for each slat I'm having to cut two 20mm strips and a 40mm strip, then sticking each individual piece down. I do a couple and then get annoyed - and that's a good time to take a break. I'll get there though.

[IMG]http://www.ifb.co.uk/~matthew/pics/bass_cupboard/20130623/01_padding.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.ifb.co.uk/~matthew/pics/bass_cupboard/20130623/02_testing.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1372105113' post='2121759']
I see empty spaces.[/quote]

Oh dear. :D

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1363086352' post='2008051']My wife suggested that I turn it into a "bass cupboard"...[/quote]

I'm not sure her suggestion was entirely altruistic, you know... ;)

Edited by discreet

That was just a test to see how it was coming along. When it and my Ripper restoration are finished there will be only one spare space.

I'm under no illusions - my wife is eyeing up the floor space that my current stands are taking up to put a chest of drawers on :)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1372107077' post='2121793']
I'm under no illusions - my wife is eyeing up the floor space that my current stands are taking up to put a chest of drawers on :)[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]I [i]knew[/i] it! [/size][size=4] :lol:[/size]

Edited by discreet

I built something (slightly) similar in the shape of a guitar rack. Used MDF and covered it in fur from local Remnant Kings (got some strange looks). One thing which I felt the need to add is a dividing panel between dookits in order to prevent dinging. hang on, will get a pic :[attachment=137867:gtr racke.jpg]

covering it in the fur was a monster PITA, but it seems to have served its purpose, there's a layer of polystyrene padding (like the laminate flooring underlay) underneath that fur and the whole lot is stuck on with spray glue,.. used 2 tins of expensive evo stik before finding some cheap stuff in B&M
cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it is finally done and the basses are moved in:

[IMG]http://www.ifb.co.uk/~matthew/pics/bass_cupboard/20130722/01_floor.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.ifb.co.uk/~matthew/pics/bass_cupboard/20130722/02_filling_up.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.ifb.co.uk/~matthew/pics/bass_cupboard/20130722/03_almost_full.jpg[/IMG]

Only one space left, and that's reserved for the Ripper once it's done. Then I guess it's swapsies for me ;)

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1375084253' post='2156386']
Very cool idea! I want a spare space I can use as a cupboard now :)

Does it have a door and a light in it as well?
[/quote]

No, there is no light and there is no door. The future plan is to put a shelf above it for stashing bits n bobs.