Why become a member? ×

Favourite bass this week

Guest MoJo

I wish I only had one bass so that the choice, when going to a gig or rehearsal was easier. I could manage with one bass because whatever bass I'm using at the time, I alter my EQ so that they all end up sounding pretty much the same.

I don't have one bass though. I have four. Two fours, a five and a fretless. The only one not getting played is the latter but I'm loathed to sell it.

Each week I'll find some reason to take a different bass to the one I took last time. Does anyone else face this insignificant choice but know that they could do it all with one bass?

I love being able to choose between totally different basses on different occasions.

I think for my last 4 rehearsals I've taken a '63 Fender Jazz, a Celinder J Update, Status Classic 5 and a Ritter Cora - loved playing every one of them!

No, because some people have only got one bass because they can't afford more! Not having a go but feeling pxxxxxd off because I sold my wondrous Warwick Streamer 5string for a stupid price ("distress sale")and am left with only a Peavey cheapy for the forseeable future. But I do think that sometimes we could use one or two instruments only and get everything we need from them and that anything over that is an indulgence. But hey, I've never got less than 10 guitars and basses in the house so i'm not in a position to judge.

I used to but being a rare example of someone who cured their own (fairly serious) problem with GAS I started regularly using just one bass about 3 or 4 years ago. It makes you bond with your instrument more and helped get me a tonne of cash as I sold off everything that was surplus I now own 2 electric basses and it feels great

+1

I have one bass (well, I have a Precision for gigging purposes at the moment), one amp and one Multi-FX. I'll need a fiver for a string of shows in the spring that I imagine I'll sell afterwards.

Unfortunately after deciding to go all minimalist with my bass gear, I'm looking to expand my guitar rig with another cab or amp, more fx and a baritone 7 stringer for my originals project.

It never ends!

Truckstop

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1362791641' post='2005006']
I have a choice of six basses, all different and all individually suited for particular jobs.

I don't really have a favourite one, it's really a case of choosing the most suitable tool for whichever job is at hand.
[/quote]

I only have one job, to rock out. I have one tone that I aim for, P-bass, but I have four basses to do it with. Really I only need a P-bass......and a back up.....and one in another colour......oh no, here we go again

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1362813552' post='2005053']
I only have one job, to rock out. I have one tone that I aim for, P-bass, but I have four basses to do it with. Really I only need a P-bass......and a back up.....and one in another colour......oh no, here we go again
[/quote]

I`m the same - I have two Precisions which I`m keeping, one US, one CIJ, both in the same colour-scheme. Another in a different colour would be nice, but not needed, as would a different type of bass.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1362784770' post='2004926']
I wish I only had one bass so that the choice, when going to a gig or rehearsal was easier. I could manage with one bass because whatever bass I'm using at the time, I alter my EQ so that they all end up sounding pretty much the same.

I don't have one bass though. I have four. Two fours, a five and a fretless. The only one not getting played is the latter but I'm loathed to sell it.

Each week I'll find some reason to take a different bass to the one I took last time. Does anyone else face this insignificant choice but know that they could do it all with one bass?
[/quote]

I used one bass almost exclusively for nearly ten years , purely out of choice ( in fact , a choice I made largely because I could afford any basses I wanted ) and when I eventually made a change it was a breath of fresh air for me , but no one else really noticed much difference . Even to most other musicians , a bass is a bass . As long as you turn up with a half - decent one , no one is bothered except you .