Why become a member? ×

Looking for advice - simple multi-effects unit?

Dronny

hi BC'ers

I'm getting to be pretty happy with my amplification setup, and the sound I'm getting from it, but I quite like the idea of adding a bit of compression to balance out levels, and occasionally some chorus or overdrive. My thoughts were a single multi-effect pedal (with a tuner, ideally) that can add these things as and when I need them, but doesn't offer me a gazillion choices of amp and cabinet emulations, weird synth effects and other stuff that frankly, I'll never use. BTW I just sold a Zoom B3 'cos it was way too much in that department, so I'm thinking of something much, MUCH simpler than that.

Or.... should I go the separate pedals route?

Any thoughts???

Dronny.

I would try single effects because you can mix them up and get the exact sound you want...

Multi fx usually will have a great x effect but will be let down by crap y and z effects !

Depends what your price range is and how much effort you are prepared to invest into it! :)

I highly recommend a Line 6 M5, and not just because I'm selling mine :) I also had a B3 at home a couple of times and felt the same as you about it, always went back to the M5, which is much simpler, just like a single stompbox with 5 knobs max, except you can alternate between dozens of stompboxes :)

Or alternatively, if you want to use more than one effect at once, you could get the M9 or M13.

The chorus and all the modulations are brilliant. When I had an M9 before, the Tube Compressor effect was always on, it's a great sounding and simple compressor with 2 knobs. As for overdrive, not much of it is great IMO but I never ever like distortions in digital multi-fx, so maybe that's just me... But you have loads of famous distortions modelled in there. No amp sims in the unit and the synths are kind of poor on bass but so what, just skip over them :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1362798870' post='2005035']
If you only want 2 or 3 effects and a tuner, I would recommend single pedals. Much simpler, and as good as multis are these days, you are likely to find seperate pedals that do what you want to a bit better.
[/quote]
+1

I had a multi effects unit (Zoom B2) and it was very complicated to use. A few single effect boxes will probably work out cheaper than a high end multi and be better quality than a cheap multi eg my old Zoom B2

In my experience, and through keeping eyes and ears open, I'd say go individual. That way you can choose the fuzz/overdrive YOU like best and same with compressor etc. it's pretty rare to see pedal boards with ALL the same brand pedals in, you mix and match to suit your sound. A multi is a great way to get lots of effects for one price, but the risk is you may like some but not all the effects you bought it for. Besides its a lot if fun buying, trying and selling on different pedals!

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1362943542' post='2006561']
In my experience, and through keeping eyes and ears open, I'd say go individual. That way you can choose the fuzz/overdrive YOU like best and same with compressor etc. it's pretty rare to see pedal boards with ALL the same brand pedals in, you mix and match to suit your sound. A multi is a great way to get lots of effects for one price, but the risk is you may like some but not all the effects you bought it for. Besides its a lot if fun buying, trying and selling on different pedals!
[/quote]

It's not that rare :)

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1362511317' post='2000570']
New setup

[Img]http://i.imgur.com/0WCPvs2.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

[Img]http://i.imgur.com/GiMqasS.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

[Img]http://i.imgur.com/s0UyEUz.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

Yeah.
[/quote]

***Massive sigh of relief***

Thank god I'm not the only one in this situation I have two multi effects pedals & just cant get my head around them. I'm actually considering putting them up on here to offer them for trades against individual pedals.

I like multi effects and often use them in conjunction with my massive collection of single pedals... But if simplicity is what you're after, i'd just get some single pedals.

For one, I've never liked the tuners on multi-effects, the displays just don't work for me.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1363106665' post='2008620']
For one, I've never liked the tuners on multi-effects, the displays just don't work for me.
[/quote]

Ha, funnily enough that was one of the things I liked about the idea of a multi-fx pedal, the fact that it has a built-in tuner :-)

Thanks to all for the advice, looks like separate pedals is really the way to go, as I suspected. Even so, if a Boss ME20-B pops up for sale, I might still be tempted. TBH its the amp-modelling, cab simulation, etc, on the Zoom that was just wasted on me. Compressor / chorus / OD / etc I can see the point of, but the other stuff is just too much. IMHO of course :)

So... I'll be looking out for a compressor (mainly), possibly a chorus, and I don't need another tuner 'cos I already have the wonderful Korg "Pitch Jack" which works a treat for me.

I'd recommend the Line 6 M6 as well. The quality of the effects is fantastic for a multi - many are comparable to single stompboxes. It's incredibly simple to use - by far the easiest interface of any multi. It's literally the DL4, MM4, FM4, DM4 and Verbzilla in one box (£900 of pedals) and we reduced the price of it last week to a ludicrously low price (I won't post it here in case it's against forum rules). It has to be one of the best bargains around right now.

I have to go with the general majority here and say that it sounds like you would definitely be better off with single pedals. Much less confusion and you can pick and choose the order yourself plus you generally have a bit more control of the effects themselves. Multi-Fx are good for getting an idea of which effect does what and some people seem to love them but if you know what you want and have that sound idea in your head then your going to be better off with single effects.

The + side of a multi unit is that if you're not sure which effects you want yet, then you have a good selection to choose from in the one box. Also they can be considerably cheaper than a pedal board with a few pedals, cables & PSU.

The + side of pedals is that you can choose which effects you want, get effects that you can't get in a multi & put them in whichever order you like.

Multi fx are usually not so great at dirt.

Single pedals are usually a good bit more expensive for a decent selection & they can be noisier if you don't have good cables, routing & power.