Why become a member? ×

Deftones' new album

xilddx

[quote name='Ricksflynn' timestamp='1362739441' post='2003981']
+1 for Around The Fur!

An album that really got me into playing. Chi's playing is brilliant on this album as well!
[/quote]
Yep, the album that I heard first, and it's a beauty.

I'm not too keen on Adrenaline though.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362740195' post='2003997']

Yep, the album that I heard first, and it's a beauty.

I'm not too keen on Adrenaline though.
[/quote]

The singles from Adrenaline are good but I agree it's a tad hit and miss. A sound of a band still finding their feet?

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1362737046' post='2003941']
Grunge was really [i]quite[/i] important... I'm guessing you were too young to be there?
[/quote]

Not getting what i mean obviously.

Its just a word that refers to a time period and maybe vaguely local (although not really). Not really helpful when trying to describe the sound of the bands in that given genre.
Soundgarden = grunge, Stone Temple Pilots = grunge, Afghan Whigs = grunge, Mudhoney = grunge, and of course Nirvana = grunge. You get me?

All very different stylistically, really. But all considered 'grunge'.

And i certainly made no claims about it being unimportant.

But Back to the Deftones. Abe is a freakin amazing drummer and I love that they generally wear their love of 80s synth pop on their sleeves.

[quote name='Ricksflynn' timestamp='1362741772' post='2004033']
The singles from Adrenaline are good but I agree it's a tad hit and miss. A sound of a band still finding their feet?
[/quote]

Yes, still good enough for Madonna to sign em up though :)

Adrenaline - Demonstration
Around the Fur - Revelation
White Pony - Deification
Deftones - Defecation
Saturday Night Wrist - Ressurection
Diamond Eyes - Continuation
Koi No Yokan - Elation

That's the way I look at them anyway.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1362745564' post='2004106']
It sounds as though they are moving further and further away from Carpenter's massive riffing style of olden days, or am I just missing the great tracks? The last Deftones track that had me thinking 'wow' was [i]Hexagram[/i]!
[/quote]

There are plenty of massive riffs on this album mate. Goon Squad is one of my favourites.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='Elvis Valentine' timestamp='1362745693' post='2004109']
Not getting what i mean obviously.

Its just a word that refers to a time period and maybe vaguely local (although not really). Not really helpful when trying to describe the sound of the bands in that given genre.
Soundgarden = grunge, Stone Temple Pilots = grunge, Afghan Whigs = grunge, Mudhoney = grunge, and of course Nirvana = grunge. You get me?

All very different stylistically, really. But all considered 'grunge'.[/quote]

Yep, and largely bought and listened to by people who identified with that particular scene, wore the appropriate clothes and haircuts, smoked the appropriate cigarettes, had the correct political views and read Melody Maker to find out whether they were doing it right. And probably thought they were being terribly individualistic doing it. All very naive and sweet.

I think "genres" genuinely were looser in definition back in the 1980s/90s than they are now, but that they commanded a sense of loyalty that is less prevalent now. Probably because music and information about it was less immediately available and you had to rely on word of mouth and magazines to tell you who you might like.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1362732216' post='2003859']
around the fur.

One of the all time best metal albums.
[/quote]

Agreed. I'm not a huge Deftones fan - Didn't like the debut at all and lost interest when that 'Back in School' vid was on TV all the time - but Around the Fur is absolutely monstrous.
Perhaps I should give the new stuff a spin.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1362748493' post='2004172']
Yep, and largely bought and listened to by people who identified with that particular scene, wore the appropriate clothes and haircuts, smoked the appropriate cigarettes, had the correct political views and read Melody Maker to find out whether they were doing it right. And probably thought they were being terribly individualistic doing it. All very naive and sweet.

I think "genres" genuinely were looser in definition back in the 1980s/90s than they are now, but that they commanded a sense of loyalty that is less prevalent now. Probably because music and information about it was less immediately available and you had to rely on word of mouth and magazines to tell you who you might like.
[/quote]

Very definitely, i get that people want to be part of something. But i mentioned Nu Metal in that same way. Deftones were very definitely grouped in with that 'scene' despite it not really being musically very easy to describe, Coal Chamber = nu metal, Deftones = nu metal, Korn = nu metal, Limp Bizkit = nu metal etc they all had guitars and wore baggy pants but musically not really the same :-)

All i really meant i suppose is that Deftones easily transcend that limited genre Just as all good bands do i guess. imho.

I personally like how they are effortlessly huge in their sound, with a brilliant rhythm usually underlying each song.

Much to be said for the simplicity of the guitars. I prefer a guitarist who thinks 'melody' rather than 'technical'.

There is an underlying 80s influence...probably stemming from Tears for Fears and their melancholic approach.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1362754551' post='2004318']
I personally like how they are effortlessly huge in their sound, with a brilliant rhythm usually underlying each song.

Much to be said for the simplicity of the guitars. I prefer a guitarist who thinks 'melody' rather than 'technical'.

[b]There is an underlying 80s influence...[/b]probably stemming from Tears for Fears and their melancholic approach.
[/quote]

The Cure figures heavily in Deftones DNA. Chino's a big fan.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1362757734' post='2004386']
Yeah, did anyone buy 'B-Sides and Rarities'? Loads of 80's covers in there.

Having a Deftones day now; cheers Nigel!

Truckstop
[/quote]

Oh sh*t! I must get that, will iTunes it when I get home.

I am having a Deftones day, sitting here at work doing some serious admin drudgery and mashing my ears with Koi No Yokan :D It makes the work almost enjoyable.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1362752321' post='2004262']
Its weird, some of my favourite Deftones songs are on their worst album; Hexagram, Minerva and Battleaxe are huge!

Truckstop
[/quote]

That's because the self titled album is one of their best, Deathblow is spectacular.

I love the new album, their melody and huge soaring choruses are always why I've loved them. I've never seen the appeal of Adrenaline and Around The Fur personally, I certainly can't understand why people say ATF is their best album when they are the band who made White Pony. White Pony, Deftones, Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan are all spectacular. Saturday Night Wrist has some of their best songs (Hole In The Earth, Riviere, Rats!) but it's just too disjointed to be a great album.