Why become a member? ×

Decal or No

Guest MoJo

My bitsa P has a 70s Fender P decal on the headstock (of its Squier Jazz neck), i put it there because i just fancied it really. It looked better than blank wood and when i bought the decal off ebay there were no Fecker ones on there. Its never going to fool anyone who knows the first thing about basses anyway. If i ever sell the bass i'll probably sand the decal off first.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1363231632' post='2010250']
People hear with their eyes. Nobody will be impressed that you sound good on a cheap bass. They'll just assume you're an amateur for not having a better instrument. If you like the Fender logo, put it on. Just don't try to sell it as such.
[/quote]

Not even close to being true.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1363231632' post='2010250']
People hear with their eyes. Nobody will be impressed that you sound good on a cheap bass. They'll just assume you're an amateur for not having a better instrument.
[/quote]

Well, I take your point. Assuming we're talking about live performance situations, the audience reaction (if they even notice us) will be something like:

* Standard Punter - "Why is your guitar bigger? What are a Fedner? My mate fancies your singer."

* Non-playing 'Rock Fan' / Other muso / Tyro bassist - "Why don't you get a real Fender? Can I have a go? Ow, f*ck, that hurt!"

* More experienced players - "Nice sound you're getting out of that Westfield. It's all in the fingers / eq curve / string gauge / break angle over the bridge, snore, etc."

So yes, the decal does have an effect, just in different ways.

That's really good, I like it.

I've got 70s Fender P decals on three MM necks (two of which are Jazz necks) on different basses, because I don't like blank heads and I couldn't be arsed doing anything more creative like the above. Much of the hardware has changed (in fact more or less everything except the actual body), but they've all got their respective original neck plates (Epiphone for the Fenderbird, SX and Ryder on the Ps) anyway. No-one's ever commented on the decal 'issue'. They've liked the basses, though.

Edited by Muzz

Just for arguments sake I did this to my eastwood classic 4 today.
[attachment=130317:IMAG0482.jpg]
before
[attachment=130318:IMAG0485.jpg]
after.

I also decalled the pickguard and fitted G arrow knobs. Just for my own pleasure I like fiddling with stuff (see my Selmer amp in the amps sections) All easily reversible and cost about £35 for the bits and bobs.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1363821630' post='2018330']
Incorrect.
[/quote]

Then talk me through your thinking on this one. Here's mine. For starters, 99% of an audience don't give a rat's ass about what bass you're using full stop, and in fact depending on the audience they probably aren't even aware of your musical function in a live situation. Those that do care/might care about what bass you're using and might turn their noses up at the fact you're using a cheap/inferior/smalltime brand instrument (delete as applicable) are so low down on the scale by this stage that not only is their presumption totally ignorant, it actually pales into almost total insignificance.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1363824246' post='2018369']
Then talk me through your thinking on this one. Here's mine. For starters, 99% of an audience don't give a rat's ass about what bass you're using full stop, and in fact depending on the audience they probably aren't even aware of your musical function in a live situation. Those that do care/might care about what bass you're using and might turn their noses up at the fact you're using a cheap/inferior/smalltime brand instrument (delete as applicable) are so low down on the scale by this stage that not only is their presumption totally ignorant, it actually pales into almost total insignificance.
[/quote]Walk away my friend..

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1363824246' post='2018369']
[/quote]

I wasn't talking about the audience. But there are musicians, engineers, band leaders, who will all make assumptions based on what they see. I'm not saying showing up with a Squier is a deal breaker, but some people may put a strike against you. So if someone wants to change the decal for that reason, I say it's no big deal as long as he doesn't try to sell it as such.

You may feel those people are insignificant but if you're looking to establish yourself as a professional musician, every bit of an edge counts. That's the way the world works. But if you're just doing it as a hobby, then yeah, it makes no difference, in which case he can put whatever decal he wants on his bass. It's his bass.

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1363824734' post='2018373']
I wasn't talking about the audience. But there are musicians, engineers, band leaders, who will all make assumptions based on what they see. I'm not saying showing up with a Squier is a deal breaker, but some people may put a strike against you. So if someone wants to change the decal for that reason, I say it's no big deal as long as he doesn't try to sell it as such.

You may feel those people are insignificant but if you're looking to establish yourself as a professional musician, every bit of an edge counts. That's the way the world works. But if you're just doing it as a hobby, then yeah, it makes no difference, in which case he can put whatever decal he wants on his bass. It's his bass.
[/quote]Is it music or Formula 1 we are taking about, a bit confused here.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1363824734' post='2018373']
But there are musicians, engineers, band leaders, who will all make assumptions based on what they see.
[/quote]

Definitely, not the decent ones.

If you're a good enough player then you can expect to get calls from people who will want to work with you regardless of the instrument you're using. Engineers and producers may have their own ideas about what kind of bass they'd like you to play, but the good ones won't discriminate providing the end result is there, that's their job. I know countless players that use cheap instruments in professional environments with big names that you wouldn't dream of pulling from a gig for the sake of their choice of guitar/bass.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1363825979' post='2018387']
I'm feeling emotionally short-changed here - I'm clearly several drama levels below where I should be... :)
[/quote]

Me too, there's obviously a big chunk of something going on that I've missed! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363827992' post='2018399']
Me too, there's obviously a big chunk of something going on that I've missed! :D
[/quote]

Indeed. The land of the iffy decal, where hate swells like a man's biceps and temptation beckons as seductively as a semi-clad nymphet.

Shall one apply this bit of sticky printed stuff to the tuney end of one's bass and bring down the temple of truth or shall one abstain in stolid rectitude? It's all bollocks one way or another.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1363828766' post='2018404']
It's all bollocks one way or another.
[/quote]

Hee, hee. The kind of people I play to don't give a rat's ass. I'm quite sure they can't tell the fundamental difference between a guitar and a bass guitar let alone any piddling distinction between one manufacturer and another. The important thing is that we make a racket loud enough to fill the void where their lives should be and take the edge off the crystal meth they've just done. :D

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1363827161' post='2018395']
Definitely, not the decent ones.

If you're a good enough player then you can expect to get calls from people who will want to work with you regardless of the instrument you're using. Engineers and producers may have their own ideas about what kind of bass they'd like you to play, but the good ones won't discriminate providing the end result is there, that's their job. I know countless players that use cheap instruments in professional environments with big names that you wouldn't dream of pulling from a gig for the sake of their choice of guitar/bass.
[/quote]

You can be a fine player but if there's a problem in the studio getting a sound an they see you're using a $200 bass they may make assumptions. This is simply human nature. You can deny it all you want. I learned long ago to stop trying to convince people to change their way of thinking. It's easier to just avoid the potential problem. I'm not advocating the use of a fake decal because of it, but it is a viable reason.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1363833909' post='2018421']
This is simply human nature. You can deny it all you want.
[/quote]
I do deny it.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1363833909' post='2018421']
I learned long ago to stop trying to convince people to change their way of thinking.
[/quote]
It's hard to tell that you stopped.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363829436' post='2018407']
Hee, hee. The kind of people I play to don't give a rat's ass. [/quote]

I think most people don't give a rat's ass, whether audience or player. It's a tiny issue that disbenefits absolutely no one as far as I can see, but then it's usually the little things that set people against each other. Religion, politics, racism, global warming, decals on a headstock [color=#ff0000][font=courier new, courier, monospace]McCartney[/font][/color] - the list goes on.

Edited by skankdelvar