Why become a member? ×

Auditioning For An Originals Band - Advice Please

Rumple

After several e-mail conversations I went along on Monday night to meet a guy to discuss playing for his band, I was under the assumption it was a covers band but it turns out he's writing his own material anyway I thought that would be the end of it but after listening to the CD of tunes he gave me I liked the material and have offered to go along for an audition.

So my question is, what's the etiquette, should I slave away listening to the CD and work out the songs or as I have limited time available for practising is it acceptable to ask for chord charts to work to? I've exclusively played covers for the last 20 odd years and that has just been a case of deciding what recorded version to do and searching for the dots or TAB.

Thanks

R.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1362583573' post='2001685']
Ask for everything he can give you, no point in making it harder than it has to be and you have to ensure that you can work together effectively :)
[/quote]

Thanks, I was certainly going to ask for chord charts but then I had a thought maybe that's not what people do, they're not complicated tunes but I'd feel happier working like I do for a cover version then winging it.

Get all the charts to help you out, all he has to do is give you the chords and you should be able to listen and work out some stuff from there, it's what I did when I recently joined an originals band, I got the songwriter/guitarist/singer to send over the chords and structure and then worked off their recordings and the sheets, got it nailed pretty quickly as I enjoyed it, without the sheets it'd taken me so much long to work out.

I'd say there's nothing wrong with asking for a chord sheet, and maybe a description of the kind of thing he's after. I'm sure he'll oblige. Otherwise he'll spend a lot of time scratching his head, asking 'what is it about these people, none of them can get what I want!' no harm in asking questions, and if he gets uppity at being asked things, guy's a twat, so leave it.

My only other advice might be not to be too flash at first. I've dealt with players in orignals bands, and I must admit, open-minded and respectful as I try to be of other people's playing choices, the guitarist who put two-handed tapping into a two minute Beatles ripoff I wrote did kind of put me off him. Similarly, keep the huge FX rig at home for the first runthrough. Keep it simple, but always hint at the potential for more.

No idea what sort of music it is, but ask him what sort of feel he's looking for, no good playing simple if he's looking for something intense, or vice versa.

Also don't be afraid to put your own slant on stuff. I have just joined an originals band and played how I felt the basslines should be, and it went down a storm. They said I added a groove to the tunes that was missing before.

Playing my first gig with them a charity do at the Sheffield O2 Academy in two weeks time, so really looking forward to it.

Cheers guys, that's what I love about this place, some sound advice within minutes of asking a question I might have wrestled with for days.

I'll be keeping it simple that's for sure until I get the feel for the direction the main man wants to go with it. gear wise it will be one 4 string through the rehearsal rooms amp to start.

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1362584414' post='2001700']

Playing my first gig with them a charity do at the Sheffield O2 Academy in two weeks time, so really looking forward to it.
[/quote]

Wow! good luck with the gig.

Worth asking for a chord chart, but if he hasn't got one (which may be most likely), then learn 2-3 songs. Sit & listen to a couple that you think you can create a good bassline to that will show your skills (use a mix of simple & complex to suit the song).
I listened to a few tracks & worked out the chords when I joined a singer/songwriter & he liked the basslines that I came up with, so it should be a doddle for you. :)

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1362585551' post='2001717']
Don't forget to tell us how it goes for you :)
[/quote]

Will do, no date set yet for the audition but hopefully it will be in the next few weeks.

What's been said really from my point of view. Try and play sympathetically with the feel of the song and with what you hear and don't overplay early on as achknalligewelt said above.

I love writing originals with our band - far more than playing covers. Carpe diem.

If you really want the gig, put in as much prep as pos. But realistically (as others have said) you'll probably only have the chance to work out some basslines for 2 or 3, but they will show your potential. Main thing is are you expected to play someone else's basslines or your own.... that will need to be negotiated. Good luck, Paul.

I've asked for some charts so I'll wait and see what response I get.

[quote name='paulmcnamara' timestamp='1362611926' post='2002307']
Main thing is are you expected to play someone else's basslines or your own....
[/quote]

Good point

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1362649189' post='2002580']

Good luck at the audition Dave and don't forget to wear your gold Spandex body suit. :D
[/quote]

That reminds me I must pick it up from the dry cleaners :D

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1362583126' post='2001678']
After several e-mail conversations I went along on Monday night to meet a guy to discuss playing for his band, I was under the assumption it was a covers band but it turns out he's writing his own material anyway I thought that would be the end of it but after listening to the CD of tunes he gave me I liked the material and have offered to go along for an audition.

So my question is, what's the etiquette, should I slave away listening to the CD and work out the songs or as I have limited time available for practising is it acceptable to ask for chord charts to work to? I've exclusively played covers for the last 20 odd years and that has just been a case of deciding what recorded version to do and searching for the dots or TAB.
[/quote]

I would ask for the chord charts. The worst that happens is that he says no. I would also ascertain:

1. Whether he wants you to just learn whats on the cd or whether he wants you to come up with some original lines
2. If the latter, find out from him whether he has something specific in mind---they are his songs after all (if he says no you get brownie points for asking)
3. Probably worth finding out at this stage whether the band is "some guys playing his songs the way he wants them" or whether the band is "a collaborative effort with input from all of us". Being up front about this now will save friction and perhaps disappointment later.

I play in two originals bands---in one of them I get a bit more creative freedom than the other, but I don't mind at all because everything was made clear up front (and I like the songs / band members)

As to how many songs you should learn, it depends on how tricky they are. I would probably just ask him outright how many he expects you to learn before the audition. I'd personally say that more than 40% of the audition process is on how you interact with the other guys, making a few enquiries about what they want both shows a willingness to cooperate as well as giving you a bit of an opportunity to scope them out (if their replies are nonsense do you want to get involved?).

Edited by uncle psychosis

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1362650134' post='2002613']
Agreed, but I'd say more than 80%. ;) :)
[/quote]

Yup, I'm only doing it for fun so I'll only get involved if it's an enjoyable way to spend some time.

Update: I asked for some chord charts to the songs they wanted me to learn for the audition and I haven't heard back from the main man, that was over 5 days ago so I'll put that one down to experience :lol:

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1363115375' post='2008801']
I always ask for the chords but I'm always surprised how many guys don't know what they're playing...
[/quote]

Maybe he's desperately trying to work out his own songs, hence the silence :D