Why become a member? ×

Thunderbird neck length

Electric Wizard

Hey all.

I'm new here and need a bit of help. My brand new Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV is being delivered tomorrow and I need a bit of help.

Ive been reading all I can about it online, and something I have seen a few times has confused me. Ive seen a few references to it having a very long neck, which is uncomfortable to play for some.But surely at a 34" scale the playing area of the string is the same for all 34" basses. I understand that if the bridge is closer to the neck then this will affect the neck length, but to me this doesnt look the case in the Thunderbird.

Is this long neck thing a myth or is there something I'm not thinking about.

Thanks

I've just compared mine to my P-Bass, and I agree with Gelfin - it's more about the way it hangs on the strap.

If you compare the photos below, you'll see that the t-birds left shoulder mount point is approx next to the 17th fret, whilst the P has it sitting over the 12th, which means that the neck is pushed out further. You can see that the scale lengths are close enough not to have an impact.

hiho
The neck is 34" standard length but due to the placement of the top strap button it pushs the end of the neck further away to the left if your a rightie.
You soon adjust.
Is it a pro4 active or the new classic?
I,ve got the pro4 active and have played the classic-both are decent basses.I would have a punt on the classic as well if they made one in black but very happy with my pro4.
Been giggin it for 2 years now,no issues
Enjoy your new bass and I hope you like as much as I do

I got a Pro in a swap deal with Pestie on here and if you like the way a Tbird hangs, you will love it. I had a few T birds in the past and didn`t get on with the way they "hang" but now it feels very natural. The end of the neck does seem far away at first but you will soon get used to it.

Thanks for the advice all :)

Well my bass arrived today and I love it. To be honest if I hadn't read about the neck length thing yesterday, I probably wouldnt have even thought about it feeling long when I finally tried it out. I'm only 5ft 9, so not that tall and to be honest it doesnt feel like that big a stretch to me.

The only problem I have is that I got an Epiphone leather strap with it and its way too short. I like my bass to hang pretty low and the Epiphone just wont do.
The suede back on it was great though. Not a bit of neck dive with it on. Changed it for a normal materia lPlanet waves strap and do notice a wee bit of dive, but not much. Need to keep my eyes open for a good wide and long long strap now...and a hard case :)

[quote name='MrTaff' timestamp='1360880396' post='1977962']
This really shows how bad the access to the higher frets on the thunderbird is.
[/quote]

<Warning: gross generalisation approaching> I'm not sure if you're playing a t-bird that access to the upper frets is terribly important to you.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1360920716' post='1978264']
*People not to scale... ;)
[/quote]

I did wonder if I should tidy up a bit more before taking the photos...

[quote name='MrTaff' timestamp='1360880396' post='1977962']
This really shows how bad the access to the higher frets on the thunderbird is.
[/quote]

Just because the P-Bass has a cutaway doesn't make it very much better. You still have the nasty lump of the boly-on neck joint to contend with.

[quote name='dougal' timestamp='1360921246' post='1978270']
<Warning: gross generalisation approaching> I'm not sure if you're playing a t-bird that access to the upper frets is terribly important to you.
[/quote]

It is when your band plays some Metallica covers, I love the sound of thunderbirds but I just can't play the solo's on them.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1360924049' post='1978321']
Just because the P-Bass has a cutaway doesn't make it very much better. You still have the nasty lump of the boly-on neck joint to contend with.
[/quote]

I don't find P's that bad, the neck joint isn't ideal but without the cutaway it would be even worse.

[quote name='dougal' timestamp='1360921246' post='1978270']

I did wonder if I should tidy up a bit more before taking the photos...
[/quote]

Looks like a warzone - take cover!!!!
[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1360858487' post='1977540']
I got a Pro in a swap deal with Pestie on here and if you like the way a Tbird hangs, you will love it. I had a few T birds in the past and didn`t get on with the way they "hang" but now it feels very natural. The end of the neck does seem far away at first but you will soon get used to it.
[/quote]

It seemed far away for me , at first, but then I'm a right wee shorty!!! Good basses , Well ,the one from Jezza was!!