Why become a member? ×

Building a bass using parts

Clarky72

Has anyone here had a go at building (but cheating) using pre-made necks and/or bodies?

I've seen parts made by the likes of Warmoth, WD music, Allparts etc, but never seen them in the flesh or known anyone that's used them. Has anyone here and are they any good?

I've built a bass from scratch on Jon Shuker's course, but without £10k investment in all the tools it's not going to be a garage project to build another easily, so I was thinking of getting a paddle neck and a routed body blank that I can shape and build.

Any thoughts or experience welcome...

(edited to correct my sketchy typing)

Edited by Clarky72

Hey Steve, I've made about 4 basses from bits with a few basic tools. The last one I sold as they guy who now has it borrowed it for a session and basically said "you're not getting it back, how much do you want?"

If you've built from scratch on the course, I don't think you'll have any trouble assembling a flat pack bass from Warmoth etc.

The ones I've built have all been from broken up Fenders. Including my 70s Jazz, which took me over a year to get all the bits for! The only thing to watch is that it can cost you more to do it this way (even with allparts etc.) and what you're left with is a Fender copy with no name, that's harder to sell.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1360682051' post='1974535']
The only thing to watch is that it can cost you more to do it this way (even with allparts etc.) and what you're left with is a Fender copy with no name, that's harder to sell.
[/quote]

This is a very good point, I built a Fender Jazz up from genuine USA and Japanese parts a few years ago but when it came to selling it I had to part it out as it was worth a fair bit less as a complete bass.

Yeah, that could be annoying. Best to keep what you build then as its unlikely to be worth as much to anyone else!

Has anyone used [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Warmoth, WD music, Allparts parts at all and are they any good?[/font][/color]

To me the point of building a bitsa bass is you get exactly what you want and is pretty much unique. Yes you can buy a VM Jazz for alot less than the individual parts but taking what Ive just said into account you get what you want, have fun doing it, learn alot and have something that is 'you'. The fact that what you have is not worth the sum of the parts in the S/H market is negated by all this. If you MUST sell it then just take it to bits and sell them. There is the point that very very few basses in the short term actually appreciate anyway so if you did sell your shiny new VM Jazz you can knock £100 off straight away. Its a hobby after all isnt it?

Go gather your logs and wires and grow your own man :D

A

EDIT: The only big thing you really need to watch is that the neck will fit the socket if they are bought seperately.

Edited by apa

I did a Plexiglass precision bass from various parts.

I found it totally satisfying, and a great laugh to do.

Sold it at a loss, but not a massive one - It was great to know my handy work is now being gigged.

I'm certainly thinking of doing a Fender bitsa - Buying 2 basses of various specifications and swapping necks/hardware around to get the spec I want rather than going down the Custom shop route.

It's just about finding the time and money to do it.

As for Warmoth/Allparts - Seems an expensive route, although i'm led to belive both companies use top woods etc.

But, as someone said earlier, if you end up not liking your creation; you've got an expensive pile of bits.

I want to make something a bit different from the standard fender shape, I built a Stingray/Jazz hybrid on a build course at Jon Shuker's place, this time (with less access to the best tools and equipment) I'm thinking I'll make something different.

I've looked at paddle necks and routed body blanks; so the neck pocket will be perfect for the body and it'll be down to me to cut the head and body shapes and do all the rest of the routing, sanding, fitting, soldering and the paint job.

Even with paddle necks etc, look at the cost. I have a (misguided?) wish to recapture my youth, Gibbo EB2 which is nuts money these days. The answer so far is s/h warwick rockbass streamer £100 + some diesel. Great neck, machines, pickups (hmm - weak). Will build own body later. Buy a bass, part it, mod it, is way cheaper at the moment.

As many have said, resale value isn't great. I've had a few bits from Warmoth and my current Jazz has a tele style neck from them. The quality is amazing. IMO, the best part of building basses from parts is all the research and looking into the specifics of each individual component. That may seem tedious to some, but I find it more fun than the actual build!

[quote name='waldemar' timestamp='1360709352' post='1975340']
>the best part of building basses from parts is all the research and looking into the specifics of each individual component.

Or the nail-biting wait/gnashing of teeth when you've winged it..!

w./
[/quote]

Haha... i know that feeling from when I built one from scratch... whether all that work would actually result in a beautiful sounding bass or a cricket bat!

I'd love to build from scratch but just dont have the right equipment, or have a master luthier looking over my shoulder to guide me when I encounter a problem in my garage!

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1360707714' post='1975306']
As many have said, resale value isn't great. I've had a few bits from Warmoth and my current Jazz has a tele style neck from them. The quality is amazing. IMO, the best part of building basses from parts is all the research and looking into the specifics of each individual component. That may seem tedious to some, but I find it more fun than the actual build!
[/quote]

I think the whole point of building one is to make something you want, not something you want to sell. There's very few people here who have sold basses and not regretted it a tiny bit, unless they bought absolute dogs and were just offloading them... So, resale value is sort of irrelevant.

You're right though, searching out the parts and all the research is great fun, building up a little collection of parts you want to assemble is great!

If I were doing it and spending money on it I would get the neck at least from USACG - based purely on the valenti I had that was made by them and top top quality. Last time I checked a neck and body were about the same/less than warmoth.
There's a UK company that has started doing bass bodys too.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1360747473' post='1975620']
If I were doing it and spending money on it I would get the neck at least from USACG - based purely on the valenti I had that was made by them and top top quality. Last time I checked a neck and body were about the same/less than warmoth.
[/quote]

Doesnt look as if they do blanks with routing or paddle head necks though unfortunately...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1360747473' post='1975620']
There's a UK company that has started doing bass bodys too.
[/quote]

Do you know who the UK company are? I looked at WD but they don't do what I'd need.

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1360747924' post='1975628']
Doesnt look as if they do blanks with routing or paddle head necks though unfortunately...

Do you know who the UK company are? I looked at WD but they don't do what I'd need.
[/quote]

no maybe not...

and I'll look it up...

Surprised nobody's mentioned sims yet : http://www.simscustom.com/html/home.htm

I've seen their stuff at the NEC show a couple of years ago and it is top quality stuff.

Prices look at first glance to be more than Warmoth/USACG, but when you start adding on the shipping and import duty I think they are pretty much comparable.

You can also actually go visit to see their stuff first hand & discuss your requirements which is something you obviously can't do with any of the US companies very easily.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1360749024' post='1975655']
thanks for that. I should't have gone onto that sort of site... now I kinda want to build a bass again. repeat after me.. I don't need another bass, I don't need another bass.....
[/quote]haha!!! :D

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1360681739' post='1974525']
Has anyone here had a go at building (but cheating) using pre-made necks and/or bodies?

I've seen parts made by the likes of Warmoth, WD music, Allparts etc, but never seen them in the flesh or known anyone that's used them. Has anyone here and are they any good?

I've built a bass from scratch on Jon Shuker's course, but without £10k investment in all the tools it's not going to be a garage project to build another easily, so I was thinking of getting a paddle neck and a routed body blank that I can shape and build.

Any thoughts or experience welcome...

(edited to correct my sketchy typing)
[/quote]10k investment? You could get setup for way WAY less than that. A second hand bandsaw and planer/thicknesser would be the biggest outlay. Router, drill press or stand and the smaller handtool stuff would be well under a grand. You really dont need a great deal of stuff. The most important thing you can have are the skills and experience. You can build a guitar using handtools only, if you are brave enough. I've never used a tablesaw for one thing.

Edited by lettsguitars