Why become a member? ×

Message to Bilbo re Beatles thread

niceguyhomer

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1360855819' post='1977500']
Hey mate I don't think I have ever been offended by anything you have ever stated on BC Nige, your posts are always well defined, thought provoking & also respectful to other peoples feelings. In all the time I have had the privileged to be a part of this community I have never seen you say or do anything to be anything but a good person which is why I always respect your views & opinions.Sometimes it doesn't come out right but your intent is always correct.

Though I have noticed lately that there is a bit of an era of confrontation within this very site of which I feel a bit fed up of seeing. Arguments over daft stuff that has no actual bearing over real life. It just seems so silly.
Not so long ago I had two pieces of bad news, news that really made me question who I am & what really is important in life, it's times like these you look at how you spend your time & think I could get more out of life than what I'm getting, I just need to sort out the negative things from the positive. And that's when I realised that arguing & confrontation is not something to seek out, it's not worth even taking part in unless you are going to get something out of it that really matters.

Life is something we all have & we waste our times talking about all the bad things that are. life to a point is hard & sometimes very unforgiving, so why spend our private time talking about negative things when we could achieve so much more ?
We all have a passion for the same thing, we a lovers of music in various guises we create music. We do fantastic things, we create songs & play music we love with all our hearts and we do it because it feels good. so why get involved in arguments that don't feel good ? It just doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Time is something I don't want to spend on negative things anymore, life should be better than this.
[/quote]

Great post.

Should be pinned IMO.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1360771106' post='1976212']
But we'd have to listen to them on those bootleg vinyl postcards, which will generate lively, healthy friendly debate on whether vinyl is better than CD.
[/quote]

Jeez mate! I'll need a whisky resupply if we go that way again :D

S'all nothing compared to the wild west days of BBC running his gob off every five minutes all over the place with joyful abandon ;)

Hey mate I don't think I have ever been offended by anything you have ever stated on BC Nige, your posts are always well defined, thought provoking & also respectful to other peoples feelings. In all the time I have had the privileged to be a part of this community I have never seen you say or do anything to be anything but a good person which is why I always respect your views & opinions.Sometimes it doesn't come out right but your intent is always correct.

Though I have noticed lately that there is a bit of an era of confrontation within this very site of which I feel a bit fed up of seeing. Arguments over daft stuff that has no actual bearing over real life. It just seems so silly.
Not so long ago I had two pieces of bad news, news that really made me question who I am & what really is important in life, it's times like these you look at how you spend your time & think I could get more out of life than what I'm getting, I just need to sort out the negative things from the positive. And that's when I realised that arguing & confrontation is not something to seek out, it's not worth even taking part in unless you are going to get something out of it that really matters.

Life is something we all have & we waste our times talking about all the bad things that are. life to a point is hard & sometimes very unforgiving, so why spend our private time talking about negative things when we could achieve so much more ?
We all have a passion for the same thing, we a lovers of music in various guises we create music. We do fantastic things, we create songs & play music we love with all our hearts and we do it because it feels good. so why get involved in arguments that don't feel good ? It just doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Time is something I don't want to spend on negative things anymore, life should be better than this.
[/quote]

Gav, that's a wonderful post mate, really. I was just trying to express how valued you are on here.

Chin chin! x

[/quote]

Without doubt the most sensible and eloquent post I've seen on here for ages. :friends:

Please I am not having a go at anybody but just raising a point. Surely the posts that pop up about people giving out on forums are doing exactly just what they are giving out about ?

You could call it arm chair mods. Nobody is forcing you to read it. When I find a thread I don't like I simply don't look at it end of story. I don't understand why you would stick up a long post about how this forum is being dragged down when all you have to do is move on.

I shared a very different view on a post made by a member and I brought it up. We had a few post back and forth and then it went to pm's where after a few messages we both came to the conclusion that neither of us was being pricks and had a very nice civil chat about music.

To be honest I am here to chat about music and bass and meet other people who are the same which is what happened in the end with the two of us. It's a pity that because of the attitude about "bringing the forum down" that we felt it had to go to pm's and you all missed the end result.

What is one persons drival is another's entertainment but if you don't like it move on to another thread.

Now don't get me started on grammar police, I really feel the biggest insult to a person is to correct their grammar. You have no idea where they grew up or even if they went to school. For some even having the ability to type a post on a forum is a major achievement and to have to be corrected on grammar is fear and should never be lorded over them by a school teacher wannabe. Again I am not having a go at anybody I am just saying spare a thought for the guy and how the might feel by being pulled up on when to use a full stop.

Anybody who types 'u' instead of 'you' however should get a good stuff kick in the bollix ..... That's just lazy ;)

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1360913353' post='1978171']
Please I am not having a go at anybody but just raising a point. Surely the posts that pop up about people giving out on forums are doing exactly just what they are giving out about ?

You could call it arm chair mods. Nobody is forcing you to read it. When I find a thread I don't like I simply don't look at it end of story. I don't understand why you would stick up a long post about how this forum is being dragged down when all you have to do is move on.

I shared a very different view on a post made by a member and I brought it up. We had a few post back and forth and then it went to pm's where after a few messages we both came to the conclusion that neither of us was being pricks and had a very nice civil chat about music.

To be honest I am here to chat about music and bass and meet other people who are the same which is what happened in the end with the two of us. It's a pity that because of the attitude about "bringing the forum down" that we felt it had to go to pm's and you all missed the end result.

What is one persons drival is another's entertainment but if you don't like it move on to another thread.

Now don't get me started on grammar police, I really feel the biggest insult to a person is to correct their grammar. You have no idea where they grew up or even if they went to school. For some even having the ability to type a post on a forum is a major achievement and to have to be corrected on grammar is fear and should never be lorded over them by a school teacher wannabe. Again I am not having a go at anybody I am just saying spare a thought for the guy and how the might feel by being pulled up on when to use a full stop.

Anybody who types 'u' instead of 'you' however should get a good stuff kick in the bollix ..... That's just lazy ;)
[/quote]Don't u have a go at me or i''ll kick u in the bollucks! :P :D

[/quote]

Not really, but they can, and often do, lead to prolonged and polarised arguments.

[/quote]

That works fine as a theoretical concept, but the problem is that, until you've read something, you don't know if you wanted to read it or not. :)
As for the 'moving on' part, why should a majority have to 'move on' because of the actions of a minority?

[/quote]

Now to me, that was a brilliant example of two sensible people dealing with their differences in adult way and finding common ground because you are focussed on what each other is saying and not being sidetracked by 50 other people muddying the water.

[/quote]

I'm a big fan of reconcilliation, but I'd much rather miss out on witnessing it happening than for it to be done in public and failing.
Human nature is such that we all feel a need to 'take sides' when witnessing confrontation and the more people involved, the less chance there is of a good conclusion.

[/quote]

It has always happened from time to time and probably always will.
If your involvement in a 'discussion' is limited to the use of words and meanings then there's not a lot else to 'attack' should you succumb to the urge to do so.

Interestingly though, people are most often 'pulled up' on their grammar, punctuation and spelling whilst in the middle of an argument and usually when they've just told someone else that they are ignorant.
I can't recall a time where I've ever seen anyone pulled up whilst posting something friendly or non-confrontational. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1360936181' post='1978609']
I can't recall a time where I've ever seen anyone pulled up whilst posting something friendly or non-confrontational. :)
[/quote]

Didn't Skank teach you to put the smiley [b]before[/b] the full stop, you stupid git?
[Insert every single emoticon you feel for ... roughly ... [b]here[/b].]

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1360942902' post='1978784']
Didn't Skank teach you to put the smiley [b]before[/b] the full stop, you stupid git?
[Insert every single emoticon you feel for ... roughly ... [b]here[/b].]
[/quote]

Well, a full stop signifies that speech has ended.
So try doing this... :P before you stop talking and see what happens... :lol:

A difference of opinion is a healthy thing..

just remember if we were all right, all the time, we'd all be me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please note that this is punctuated correctly and grammatically correct.. ;) ;)

BTW have you seen my new bass??

[IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/Roscoe%20Century%203005%20-%20Five%20String/RoscoeC5cocofront1_zpsa47b96a2.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by TheGreek