Why become a member? ×

New amp day - Aguilar AG500

wateroftyne

Hi all

It's here... courtesy of Molan. The first all-transistor / non modelling head I've used in... ages.

Just fired it up and it sounds completely marvellous, but.. the living room isn't a gig, so let's see how it goes. I have a block of four all-day rehearsals followed by a couple of gigs coming up, so lots of time to A/B it with the Walkabout.

Whichever loses will be for sale... smackdown!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1360592059' post='1972882']
Having heard reports on how damn good the new TH500 amp is, I'm sure you'd also like that as well. Apparently very close to the WA 'tone' if you have a fiddle with the EQ. Not as complex in terms of what the EQ can do, but the mid control on the TH500 is apparently VERY good.
[/quote]

Cheers, Gareth.... I did consider the TH but I'm still not over my lightweight 'thing'. I need to know there's a big lump of steel inside the casing otherwise I get the shakes. ha ha. :)

I tried an AG500 at the bash by pure chance, and I liked the sound of it straight away. All that matters now is how it does at the gig. We'll see... The Walkabout 's got big shoes to fill.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1360592831' post='1972902']
Cheers, Gareth.... I did consider the TH but I'm still not over my lightweight 'thing'. I need to know there's a big lump of steel inside the casing otherwise I get the shakes. ha ha. :)

I tried an AG500 at the bash by pure chance, and I liked the sound of it straight away. All that matters now is how it does at the gig. We'll see... The Walkabout 's got big shoes to fill.
[/quote]

Ay, I've heard good things about every single Aguilar amp...high quality and fantastic tone. I'd love to have a listen to one of these.

Been rehearsing with the AG500 all day.

The intention was to swap to the Walkabout at some point to compare, but I was having so much fun I forgot.

It's more accurate than the Walkabout as you'd expect, but still very punchy. It's a different flavour of goodness. I might do more A/B'ing at the rehearsal tomorrow...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1361462988' post='1986083']
I didn't know this until yesterday, but apparently even the AG500 has a Class D poweramp...!
[/quote]

Nearly, but not quite! It's Class T, so it has some of the Class D benefits, but it also has an all-important (IMO) toroidal transformer supplying the power... and no fancy-pants power management circuit. :)