Why become a member? ×

"The Beatles!"

gsgbass

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1360427797' post='1970236']
You're entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts. Sgt Pepper is considered the first psychedelic/prog album. It was released before the Moddy Blues ever had an album out.
[/quote]

Yep, that's the key point in these sorts of debates.

Can't argue with anyone who dislikes The Beatles (or any other band) because it's all subjective, and that's fine, but trying to deny their place in music history is just plain stupidity akin to believing the world is flat or man never walked on the moon.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1360428030' post='1970248']
Yep, that's the key point in these sorts of debates.

Can't argue with anyone who dislikes The Beatles (or any other band) because it's all subjective, and that's fine, but trying to deny their place in music history is just plain stupidity akin to believing the world is flat or man never walked on the moon.
[/quote]
I have not said I don't like the Beatles, nor have I said they weren't a big influence to a lot of modern day music. What I have said is I don't believe the Beatles changed all music and musicians as your original statement tried to say. I also never said that nothing was around before the Blues or Classical music, I do believe you said that.
All I am saying is yes the Beatles were a good band but, come on, they didn't change everything that ever happened in music after 1963, as per your comments.

Edited by bigd1

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1360428710' post='1970270']
I have not said I don't like the Beatles, nor have I said they weren't a big influence to a lot of modern day music. What I have said is I don't believe the Beatles changed all music and musicians as your original statement tried to say. I also never said that nothing was around before the Blues or Classical music, I do believe you said that.
All I am saying is yes the Beatles were a good band but, come on, they didn't change everything that ever happened in music after 1963, as per your comments.
[/quote]

Who, in your opinion, did?

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1360427470' post='1970223']
I know a lot of great jazz musicians who say they were influenced by the Beatles. They changed music -- not just rock and pop. Rock and pop were nothing at all like what they did prior to their hitting the scene.
[/quote]
If i'd have heard Ornette Coleman or Albert Ayler playing a Beatles medley in the 1960s i might agree with you. They changed Pop music but certainly didn't change Jazz, Electronic or Classical music.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1360430250' post='1970335']
I asked who you thought was more influential to modern music -- which person, player, band, composer -- like that.
[/quote]
If there was only one choice it would be Mozart. No other person has influenced music more.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1360430431' post='1970341']
If i'd have heard Ornette Coleman or Albert Ayler playing a Beatles medley in the 1960s i might agree with you. They changed Pop music but certainly didn't change Jazz, Electronic or Classical music.
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KvgVQgZsrY

[/quote]

First off, classical music is a music of the past so how can they "influence" that?

Secondly, Beatle songs are arranged and harmonized compositions that do not lend themselves as well to improvisation, just as a symphony doesn't lend itself to improvising.

And there are jazz musicians who don't even take Albert Ayler seriously, but okay, I'll play.

George Benson

Count Basie

Herbie Hancock

Marion McPartland

Buddy Rich

Don Ellis

Grant Green

Steve Marcus

Dave Kikoski

Wes Montgomery

Jaco Pastorius

Stanley Jordan

All covered Beatles songs. To name a few.

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1360430250' post='1970335']
I asked who you thought was more influential to modern music -- which person, player, band, composer -- like that.
[/quote]
I don't think that can possibly be put down as 1 band or composer, music is too big a thing, everybody who listens, plays or performs music has an influence.
To say 1 band etc is responsible for the music we listen to today is unrealistic. Music is a very personal thing, one persons moving piece of music is another persons flat durge. Just open you ears, and have a listen !

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1360430681' post='1970347']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vRI2jlXkHI[/media]
[/quote]
I could list a thousand Beatles songs recorded by Jazz artists. Most of these were simply musicians recording pop songs of the day. Something Jazz musicians had done long before even Be Bop and putting their slant on it.
Jazz musicians recording Beatles songs didn't change music. It may have shifted a few more LPs that''s all.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1360422170' post='1970120']
The most over-rated band in history :P

Very influential etc but I have never actually listened to 90% of their stuff. Not hostile, just never went there.

[/quote]

Overated but you have never listened to 90% of ther stuff hmm

[/quote]
[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1360431409' post='1970360']
I could list a thousand Beatles songs recorded by Jazz artists. Most of these were simply musicians recording pop songs of the day. Something Jazz musicians had done long before even Be Bop and putting their slant on it.
Jazz musicians recording Beatles songs didn't change music. It may have shifted a few more LPs that''s all.
[/quote]
It may well have shifted a few more LPs, I wouldn't dispute that at all, but your claim has changed from the first post quoted above to the second post quoted above.