Why become a member? ×

What covers MUST you play at a wedding?

JayPH

Hi all

Been and joind a covers band and we are targeting weddings.

We like playing rock numbers and have been practising stuff by U2, The Doors, OCS, Beatles and all that jazzmit but appreciate that wont go down at most weddings.

Anyone know what kind of songs are expected? Do you have to include a lot of current chart music?

Any other advice will help :)

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='JayPH' timestamp='1360361551' post='1969515']
Also can we play War Pigs and Paranoid by Black Sabbath?
[/quote]

Always popular at weddings B)

'Oh What A Night' by The Four Seasons always goes down a treat.. Also it's a fun song to play cos it has that tasty run in the bridge!!
I'm kinda lucky though cos the band I play in also does 'Never Too Much' by Luther Vandross... :D
Back to the question though... 'Brown Eyed Girl', 'Town Called Malice', 'I Got You (I Feel Good)'. All the hits! :P

The following are essential (some of them unfortunately ) for our wedding sets:-

Sex on Fire - KOL
Mr Brightside - The Killers
Dakota - Sterophonics
Sweet Child of Mine - GnR
All Right Now - Free

All of the above will pack the dance floor out for almost all age groups - apart from the usual Buddy Holly & Elvis brigade.

Town Called Malice, Long Train Running, Billie Jean and Superstition always go down well and are fun on bass.

Hardest thing to do is play songs you don't really like but look like you do. it is very important though as th audience enjoy it more if you are.

We use the pub gigs to let loose on stuff we love, zeppelin, Hendrix, cream, AC/DC etc but through a few wedding tunes in incase of potential wedding bookings.

There are two routes in my opinion

Either pick a genre and base Your set list around that as much as possible. Then throw a couple of tenuous songs to the genre to entice other groups of people
Eg an indie rock band can do some classic rock like the who etc
This means people who like the genre of music you play will book you and they know what to expect
Or make yourself as wide and varied as you like , and advertise as a function band. Unfortunate I think this route tends to require leaning about 5 times as many songs and having someone capable to call out things to go with the current dance floor and mood. You tend to appeal to more range of clients but might e a bit more boring or end up playing the same stuff week in week out ( mustang Sally etc)

Either way you need to define wht you are going to be doing

[quote name='Rustyhornpipe' timestamp='1360394502' post='1969710']
The following are essential (some of them unfortunately ) for our wedding sets:-

Sex on Fire - KOL
Mr Brightside - The Killers
Dakota - Sterophonics
Sweet Child of Mine - GnR
All Right Now - Free

All of the above will pack the dance floor out for almost all age groups - apart from the usual Buddy Holly & Elvis brigade.

[/quote]
A good list in my experience . Also add Bon jovi living on a prayer to it

Should I ever con an unfortunate, confused lass into marrying me, the band shall be asked to provide nothing but Hawkwind and Stranglers covers. Any guest's request for Sex On Fire shall lead to the bulkiest available instrument being inserted sideways into their rectum, a service for which I shall pay extra.

So do the opposite of that :)

[quote name='JayPH' timestamp='1360362254' post='1969528']

Quality.

Yeah Brown Eyed Girl and Mustang Sally always get them up dancing. Love your name by the way :)
[/quote]

Thank you jay,) obviously sabbath is my preference here( along with slayer Celtic frost etch). Are you sure you wanna go through with this? Brown eyed girl / come on Eileen ? I'm beginning to feel very faint,)

We're going to add White Wedding by Billy Idol for a wedding we should be doing in June.

We already do:
Sex on Fire (which we mostly hate doing too)
Chasing Cars (which we never practice because none of us like it any more either)
Living on a Prayer

We also do
You Give Love a Bad Name
Grounds for Divorce

and our singer wants to sing Hard to Handle to the bride (he hasn't seen her yet, mind).

Loads of Info here on Weddings. With a bit of updating you're good to go.
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/5436-weddings/

Haven't waded through it all but don't forget PLI and a PAT testing certificate. Essential.

The ones that get the dance floor filled for us are.

Love Really Hurts - Billy Ocean
First Last Everything - Barry White
Higher And Higher - Jackie Wilson
I Got You (I Feel Good) - James Brown
Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison

and as we have a Female singer as well.

Right Back Where I Started From - Maxine Nightingale
Chain Reaction - Diana Ross
It Takes Two - Kim Weston and Tammi Terrell

One of the main problems with Weddings is that most of the people are invited and accept out of politeness. They don't actually want to be there. Trying to strike a balance so that everyone is happy is not easy. The Bride and Groom inevitably pick a band that plays the music they like and doesn't consider the guests. I guess you can cover that with a DJ, but it can be quite easy to end up playing to a handful of guests when you start playing.