Why become a member? ×

What covers MUST you play at a wedding?

JayPH

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1360399586' post='1969732']
There are two routes in my opinion

Either pick a genre and base Your set list around that as much as possible. Then throw a couple of tenuous songs to the genre to entice other groups of people
Eg an indie rock band can do some classic rock like the who etc
This means people who like the genre of music you play will book you and they know what to expect
Or make yourself as wide and varied as you like , and advertise as a function band. Unfortunate I think this route tends to require leaning about 5 times as many songs and having someone capable to call out things to go with the current dance floor and mood. You tend to appeal to more range of clients but might e a bit more boring or end up playing the same stuff week in week out ( mustang Sally etc)

Either way you need to define wht you are going to be doing
[/quote]
I could not agree more, I was in an indie style wedding/pub/function band for about 5 years and we did just that where it was mostly early 90's (James etc) right upto the current stuff which was popular then and still being played now (Killers etc), the only problem was that as the indie chart scene went quiet a few years ago with the last new stuff being things like the Wombats it sort of killed our desire to do it. The latest band I have joined/formed fall much more into the latter anything goes category which should make it more future proof but maybe less fun?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, links and a bloody good laugh. I'll jot them all down into a list.

Not sure I want to go through with it now. We play Sex on Fire too and I hate it already even before we've played it live haha. We'll have to break it up with a good pub gig now and then.

Noticed all the old songs are still popular so we might as well try them although we are just a 5 piece guitar bass drums job so we might struggle to do some of them.

Interesting to target a specific genre. It would certainly be easier to do that. Lots to think about really.

[quote name='JayPH' timestamp='1360446854' post='1970739']
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, links and a bloody good laugh. I'll jot them all down into a list.

Not sure I want to go through with it now. We play Sex on Fire too and I hate it already even before we've played it live haha. We'll have to break it up with a good pub gig now and then.

Noticed all the old songs are still popular so we might as well try them although we are just a 5 piece guitar bass drums job so we might struggle to do some of them.

Interesting to target a specific genre. It would certainly be easier to do that. Lots to think about really.
[/quote]
It gives you a target and makes it easier to promote yourself. Eg we are an 80s band and so all sorts of 80s imagery is used in promoting ourselces

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1360458635' post='1970888']
Correct me if I'm wrong but no-one's mentioned Superstition yet? :o

Must. Put it at the end of the set for our last wedding gig and it was groooovy.
[/quote]
When done well. Seen it done terribly by so many bands around here.

[quote name='JayPH' timestamp='1360446854' post='1970739']
We'll have to break it up with a good pub gig now and then
[/quote]

Until you get really established you will probably need to do this and in my previous band we got lots of good paying weddings etc from people who saw us playing a relatively low paid pub gig. It's the best shop window going.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1360487226' post='1970985']
Until you get really established you will probably need to do this and in my previous band we got lots of good paying weddings etc from people who saw us playing a relatively low paid pub gig. It's the best shop window going.
[/quote]

But they don't get it when the fee goes up 4-fold or so..

FWIW, we don't take cold calls on weddings as we wont play a wedding set or do the hours.
They need to have seen us before ...

[quote name='bassfunk' timestamp='1360488711' post='1971006']
Nobody has mentioned Stevie Wonder? I've played it in both function bands and your more typical pub rock / indie bands. Superstition is a must imho! Also Valerie always gets them dancing as does all right now.
[/quote]
Correct. Forgot those.
We do both and Uptight works well as everyone can join in.

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1360404389' post='1969791']
We're going to add White Wedding by Billy Idol for a wedding we should be doing in June.[/quote]

The BBC kept playing that for that Royal Wedding & wondered why they got complaints.

I asked the DJ at my mate's wedding to play it, never having listened to the lyrics properly, and wondered why there was only tumbleweed on the dance-floor within seconds.