Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Going on my first tour. Suggestions/tips/help?

pendingrequests

Remember it is fun, more than anything else - YOU ARE ON TOUR!!!!!

Don't overspend, very easy to come back with less in your pocket than you started with. Keep your receipts!

Bulk buy your strings and pack a few extra cables. A multitool, cable ties and duck tape can fix almost anything!

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1360322407' post='1968509']
Remember it is fun, more than anything else - YOU ARE ON TOUR!!!!!

Don't overspend, very easy to come back with less in your pocket than you started with. Keep your receipts!

Bulk buy your strings and pack a few extra cables. A multitool, cable ties and duck tape can fix almost anything!
[/quote]

Your first point is something I am really trying to remember and keep focused on.

The guys have covered all of travel and food costs, so hopefully, my spending will be minimal :)

And shag like your life depends on it! These opportunities to flourish in new cities rarely appear.....!

As a bass player, chicks will think that you are hung like a stallion, let them believe this.....

**Cause in my case....it ain't strictly true! Hence I played guitar for years....

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1360314775' post='1968359']
A shower and a pair of fresh under-crackers each day will help you feel good about yourself!
[/quote]

I bet when The Stones were throwing televisions out of hotel windows and Keith Richards was ODing and getting busted for smack on a regular basis no one was worrying about clean underpants . And people wonder why rock and roll isn't cool and dangerous anymore ...!

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1360322407' post='1968509']

A multitool, cable ties and duck tape can fix almost anything!
[/quote]
[quote name='aende' timestamp='1360324511' post='1968563']

And shag like your life depends on it! These opportunities to flourish in new cities rarely appear.....!

As a bass player, chicks will think that you are hung like a stallion, let them believe this.....

[/quote]

I strongly recommend that the duck tape , cable ties and multi tool are left out of any shagging antics unless you fancy a court case and some very negative publicity for the band . Led Zeppelin are still haunted by that mudshark incident .

Top tip:

If clothing starts a stinkin' : sweat soaked or left in a corner for too long. Put whatever item of clothing on and wash in the shower with head an shoulders shampoo.

A, you get to have a shower, be clean and have dandruff free hair.
B, Head and Shoulders kills the bacteria that smell in sweaty clothing - nice clean unsmelly clothing!

Works a treat in cycle kit that is perma sweaty.....and I don't have dandruff.

**may stain certain materals though!

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1360326271' post='1968613']
Top tip:

If clothing starts a stinkin' : sweat soaked or left in a corner for too long. Put whatever item of clothing on and wash in the shower with head an shoulders shampoo.

A, you get to have a shower, be clean and have dandruff free hair.
B, Head and Shoulders kills the bacteria that smell in sweaty clothing - nice clean unsmelly clothing!

Works a treat in cycle kit that is perma sweaty.....and I don't have dandruff.

**may stain certain materals though!
[/quote]

+1 on washing stuff in sinks with shampoo . I have done this in hotel rooms and it works a treat . Never used Head and Shoulders , but have found the freshness of Tea Tree shampoo works very well and gives excellent results .

Another tip I would give is organising food . Feeding a group of hungry musicians can be expensive and time - consuming , so organising trips to the supermarket to get stuff to make sandwiches , snacks and drinks ect . every day for the van can save you a fortune at motorway services and save a lot of messing about in the long run . Nominate someone to be in charge of providing the food .

Edited by Dingus

I've done a few tours as a backline tech both in splitters and Tour buses.

What the rest of the guys have said about not drinking to excess and eating right is true. My frst tour I was doing backline and driving, the band were also doing DJ sets after each gig. I ended up staying up drinking with the band until the early hours then having to get up at 8/9 am to drive for several hours and then unload gear etc, and tech throughout the gig. I felt burnt out after the 3rd day!

Don't abstain, just don't over do it! I would say take a laptop and a box set to relieve hours of boredom. Try and see something in the town/city you're in get walking around and you feel better and less bored. Also my favourite thing to do on tour is swim! the singer of a band I worked with swims everyday he's not on tour. find a pool at a hotel/leisure centre etc It makes you feel refreshed and clean, you can use the shower facilities and toilets for your number twos :-).

Above all have enjoy it and have fun, it will be over quickly, touring is amazing!

I agree tho lots of great advice for you on here.

Finally, work hard, get some of ya own space, be organised (take lots of spare gear, leads, strings etc..) and try n get some sleep, sometimes! :) You will argue, push buttons etc but that's healthy sometimes, just know when to back down (Sounds like a blummin marriage doesn't it!)

Have a good one!

Be nice to the soundmen, crew and venue staff you meet along the way. Not only will it make your life easier on the road but folks have long memories and word get's around in this business. It's lost in the folklore of the industry who said it first and to whom but the advice "Be nice to people on the way up because you'll meet them again on the way down!" remains good.

Have fun

Steve

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1360404439' post='1969792']
Be nice to the soundmen, crew and venue staff you meet along the way. Not only will it make your life easier on the road but folks have long memories and word get's around in this business. It's lost in the folklore of the industry who said it first and to whom but the advice "Be nice to people on the way up because you'll meet them again on the way down!" remains good.

Have fun

Steve
[/quote]

I've never been on tour as such, but I think this is very sound advice.... Oh, and it's rock n roll so don't be too sensible!