Why become a member? ×

Is this a dumb Idea? 4 string bass..string with lowest from 5

lowlandtrees

OK i could not explain the idea in a short sentence. I am relatively new to playing bass. I would like a 5 string bass to get some more low notes. I thought that I could string one of my 4 string basses (78 Rick) with the 4 low strings from a 5 string set. Is that a bad idea? Would the action become impossible. I have an MM SUB that may be a better choice. I am no slapper and rarely touch the top string anyway.

It's not a bad idea at all :) I used to have one of my 4 strings set up like that, was great for when I played lots of low tuned metal stuff.

Depending on the gauge, you may need to widen the nut slots a bit, but that isn't too difficult.

Edited by jackers

I've done it with a few basses, the string tension is usually less than a standard EADG set so there's no issue with the neck, you might find the nut slots need widening and some bridges don't have large enoguh string holes to fit a 125 or 130 B string, both are easily sorted though.

I have been tuning my Warwicks and Spectors ADGC for the last 3/4 years. I settled on using D'Addario XL 5 string packs - 45 - 135 (obviously i discard the 0.45).

I had to adjust string height, intonation and neck relief.

Depending on which tuning you are using you may experience more rattle and clank than most people can live with.

It's all about finding a happy medium twixt string and neck tension....took me bloody months to be honest to get a set up im happy with!! :)

the only point i'll make is to check that you have enough adjustment to set the intonation of the lowest string, it will likely have to go back from the position it was in for the E string.
if you don't feel confident to set the bass up yourself then a good tech should be able to set it up for very little outlay as it should just be tweaks and fettling.

Matt

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1359714248' post='1959089']
the only point i'll make is to check that you have enough adjustment to set the intonation of the lowest string, it will likely have to go back from the position it was in for the E string.
if you don't feel confident to set the bass up yourself then a good tech should be able to set it up for very little outlay as it should just be tweaks and fettling.

Matt
[/quote]

+1

Wise words that man.... i had to trim about 4 coils off one of my Streamer springs to achieve the correct intonation on the B. Make sure you have a couple of replacement springs knocking around in case you get carried away with the cutters LOL. ;)

Edited by Bassulike66

Personally I wouldn't attempt it on a 70s Ric without an expert, they are notorius for truss-rod and other neck twisting issues because the necks were so thin (hence the dual truss-rods that you have to bend yourself) is it a 4003 or 4001? Did you know that even putting a set of Rotosounds on a 4001 in the 70s voided the warranty? A huge disappointment to any Rush/Yes/Deep Purple fans who bought them at the time.
Any other bass should be fine though, and a more modern Ric probably OK too.
I don't want to scaremonger, it should be OK on any bass (I've done it on lots) but I'd hate for you to follow advice on here that could potentially damage such a valuable bass, no matter how slim the chances of anything going wrong.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1359790634' post='1960295']
And what type of music would that be?
[/quote]

Certain types of stoner/psychedelic stuff. Tuned-down rickies with large strings are very common. Mostly they are tuned to about C to be fair, but I've also seen them being played down in A as well. Same concept though, lowest four strings of a five string set.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1359793369' post='1960310']
Personally I wouldn't attempt it on a 70s Ric without an expert, they are notorius for truss-rod and other neck twisting issues because the necks were so thin (hence the dual truss-rods that you have to bend yourself) is it a 4003 or 4001? Did you know that even putting a set of Rotosounds on a 4001 in the 70s voided the warranty? A huge disappointment to any Rush/Yes/Deep Purple fans who bought them at the time.
Any other bass should be fine though, and a more modern Ric probably OK too.
I don't want to scaremonger, it should be OK on any bass (I've done it on lots) but I'd hate for you to follow advice on here that could potentially damage such a valuable bass, no matter how slim the chances of anything going wrong.
[/quote]

+1 A 4001 Ric would need to be set up by a decent tech, though many who are decent might warn against this. I suggest you find a budget bass to try this out on first. I have done it on an old Westone and it's fine and great to play.
I have a 4003 but wouldn't try it on this. I feel the neck is just too thin for the extra tension.

In fact I'll trade you my Westone "BEAD" for your Ric.

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1359926485' post='1962245']
+1 A 4001 Ric would need to be set up by a decent tech, though many who are decent might warn against this. I suggest you find a budget bass to try this out on first. I have done it on an old Westone and it's fine and great to play.
I have a 4003 but wouldn't try it on this. I feel the neck is just too thin for the extra tension.
[/quote]

What extra tension? BEAD is normally lower tension, 45-100 (45,65,80,100) D'Addario nickels tuned EADG are about 172lbs, 65-130 (65,80,100,130, 5 string set without the G) D'Addario nickels tuned BEAD are about 164lbs.

Edited by MrTaff