Why become a member? ×

May have bitten off more than I can chew

KevB

Have you tried the "head in the sand" approach ;)

All the very best with it but think its a bit much to ask 15 songs for audition and then DEP 33 songs for another band.

Bit too much for someone who is working all day too.

Wish you best of luck and hope it turns out ok for you either way.

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1359452249' post='1954821']
Sorry if this is rambling, was up till gone midnight trying to get a half decent version of 'Going Underground' under control.
[/quote]

Be careful with this one , fantastic tune , but you need to be up in the mix and quite bright , almost clanky and it makes you exposed , the song is not that awkward to play but the start needs the confidence , if you get a chance run their start through a couple of times so that you know who does what, where , if you are not expecting what they throw at you it could get a bit messy. I played along to the CD for ages and new it inside out ..... until the band tried it out for real , it took a few goes to get the start right .

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1359489283' post='1955627']
Be careful with this one , fantastic tune , but you need to be up in the mix and quite bright , almost clanky and it makes you exposed , the song is not that awkward to play but the start needs the confidence , if you get a chance run their start through a couple of times so that you know who does what, where , if you are not expecting what they throw at you it could get a bit messy. I played along to the CD for ages and new it inside out ..... until the band tried it out for real , it took a few goes to get the start right .
[/quote]

Yes I think I may have to simplify it a little with all the other stuff I have to do. Thinking about taking my Ric to play it on to get some clank going (though i think Foxton might have moved on to P basses by the time they did this? not sure). As for the start I may have to wimp out a bit and let them do a couple of bars without me to get the feel of how they do it rhythm wise and come in on one of the 'D' notes of the intro/first verse.

Quick update. Panic over, band 2 gig tomorrow got pulled so not required now. Basically the band have a couple of residencies, one of which would be tomorrow night. However someone else booked them for a private party so band leader organised another band to do the residency in their place, venue were happy. Unfortunately venue didn't update their web site, people who had booked band for private party saw web site, paniced and cancelled the band and booked a replacement! The band leader could have just been a git and taken his residency back but felt morally obliged to let the replacement band do it which I think is very decent of him. I was quite up for it too but at least it gives me more time to nail the set before their next gig at end of Feb. In theory I'm still jamming with band 1 tomorrow afternoon so that'll do me for now.

• 2 weeks later...

A further update for those not remotely interested. Band 1 ( the 'learn 15 songs for an audition' lot) cancelled for the third week in a row. Bandleader then admitted he was finding it difficult to get in touch with 2 of the existing band and it would have to be him, me and the drummer working on original material. As this was miles away from what I signed up for I politely bailed out at this juncture. Band 2 meanwhile (the 33 song set list band) now looking like they need a dep guitarist if their next gig in 2 weeks time is going to happen. Considering their last gig was cancelled at short notice I'm beginning to wonder if all is OK with that band too. maybe I should just start looking around again from scratch, a lot of wasted time burning the midnight oil cramming in a lot of practice for nothing so far. It's never straight forward is it?

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1360604172' post='1973195']
A further update for those not remotely interested. Band 1 ( the 'learn 15 songs for an audition' lot) cancelled for the third week in a row. Bandleader then admitted he was finding it difficult to get in touch with 2 of the existing band and it would have to be him, me and the drummer working on original material. As this was miles away from what I signed up for I politely bailed out at this juncture. Band 2 meanwhile (the 33 song set list band) now looking like they need a dep guitarist if their next gig in 2 weeks time is going to happen. Considering their last gig was cancelled at short notice I'm beginning to wonder if all is OK with that band too. maybe I should just start looking around again from scratch, a lot of wasted time burning the midnight oil cramming in a lot of practice for nothing so far. It's never straight forward is it?
[/quote] Do you know a decent guitarist? Go along as a pair. If they are good go for it... if not all you need is a drummer and you have a band yourself!