Why become a member? ×

Wishbone Ash, trip down memory lane soon.

tonybassplayer

Wishbone Ash! I saw them back in the 70s during the 'Live Dates' album era. Top band. Which version are you seeing - I think Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash are round my way - same for you?

Phoenix is an absolute masterpiece imo.

[url="http://youtu.be/MVUx4zxd7VA"]http://youtu.be/MVUx4zxd7VA[/url]

I was on the same bill as the Andy Powell version in Cleethorpes years ago. They were very , very good. The original and best of the twin lead bands.

It's also several years since I made the Burnley Blues festival and the few times I've been it's been to play there. If we're not gigging I might try and make this one myself.

Update - you've got me going now , just listened to Cosmic Jazz on youtube and I might buy the download. More to the point I might see if it'll go in the set !

Edited by Dr.Dave

I've seen them in different guises loads of times, and the size of the Wishbone Ash dept in my record collection is humungous.

I've also seen Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash a few times, he's as competent as ever and he gets some good guys to play with him, but I wish he'd settle his differences with Andy Powell.

There were few bands as tight as Wishbone Ash, and fewer that could create so much musical interest and interplay between drums, bass & 2 guitars.

Enjoy them!

One of my first gigs in the early 70's - Hull City Hall. Andy Powell/Ted Turner/Martin Turner & Steve Upton line up.
Great band, with a lot of Orange kit on stage IIRC. All used proper guitars too, and sounded brill.
Martin Turner's band are coming to Hessle Town Hall in early March - about 100 yds away from my house!
Hope to go if I'm not working.

Last time i went to see them the venue put them on absurdly early (not band's fault) and i missed at least 25% of the set. Some folks turned up at what would be a sensible time to put a band on and heard about the last 15 minutes, they didn't look best pleased.
Never seen the Martin Turner version though i noticed they are on at a multi band gig in Rotherham in April that I might attend.

Edited by KevB

I've been a WA fan for many, many years. Friends of mine formed a WA tribute who played at Ashcon a couple of times and when Bob Skeat had to take an unexpected break Andy P asked the bass player to dep for him. I never got to see WA until the big split occurred and have seen AP's and MT's version. IMO both versions lack something; a good, up front, solid bass sound for the former and that certain magic from the guitarists in the latter. In a perfect world AP and MT would suck it up and reform, but that seems unlikely. A case of Prima Donnas 'R Us.