Why become a member? ×

Looks like we're getting the single pedal B3 after all!

Dood

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1365088245' post='2035152']
To my ears the B3 colours the sound in an unpleasant way when bypassed, so I lost interest in this.
[/quote]

Luckily I didn't have this problem, it actually sounded better bypassed than when I used to have the 4 EHX pedals that it replaced!

[quote name='Badass' timestamp='1365091274' post='2035216']
Plenty of info on this pedal here: [url="http://zoom.co.jp/products/ms-60b/"]http://zoom.co.jp/products/ms-60b/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for that! It's got the D-Comp, BassDrive, MarkB and SVT sims, so I'm in! :)

Edit: Ah, but no balanced XLR out... can the 'Right' 6.3mm jack out be routed to FOH using mono FX/sims, d'you think? :huh:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1365092999' post='2035268']

Thanks for that! It's got the D-Comp, BassDrive, MarkB and SVT sims, so I'm in! :)

Edit: Ah, but no balanced XLR out... can the 'Right' 6.3mm jack out be routed to FOH using mono FX/sims, d'you think? :huh:
[/quote]

The link I posted a day or so ago has the manual and list of FX. Should be all the info there.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1365259118' post='2037329']
Right, as part of my 'testing' I am off out to a prog gig tonight with the MS60B - this will be part of my review feedback!
[/quote]

OK Dan, but I wanna know all about it ASAP, so keep the solos short! ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1365260156' post='2037350']
Another thing for the shopping list, I had a B3 for a while but it was too much for my modest needs, this would be more my bag.
[/quote]

Nice one Dave, can I borrow it and check it out..? :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1365322999' post='2037906']
Nice one Dave, can I borrow it and check it out..? :lol:
[/quote]

Yes, before I end up selling it again :D

Do we know when they will be available in the UK?

Hi guys, I'm just roughing out my video review now actually!

The pedal behaved really well last night at the gig - I used a couple of different patches for the set we were doing. There's a really cool function on the pedal where you can (as I mentioned on the Zoom facebook page,) set the pedal up as if it were a dual channel guitar amp. You can then select two or more patches to toggle between on one button as if they were channel changes. Last night for example I had one patch with a little EQ and compression and another patch with the amazing octave effect plus chorus. Setting up a toggle I could flip back and forth between the two when I wanted. Speaking of the Octaver 'bass pitch', I've just been testing with my Jazz Bass Special and it tracks very accurately with no warbling right down to the E open E string. I'll try it on my 6er later.

So the things I've had to rethink:
At the moment, nearly every effect on board has a dry/wet mix control that is very important. One thing I do miss is a global wet/dry mix per patch. This would be helpful if you wanted to heavily EQ a distortion effect and then noisegate it (3 effects in a chain) then add a clean bass signal to that total, rather than trying to feed a dry bass tone through each effect block, which won't achieve the same result.

There isn't a global 'bypass' - you'd need to set up a separate patch with no effects in and toggle with it. Again, no biggy - there's already WAY more than you could ever want in a single pedal already!

Like the B3 there isn't a master input gain control - my EMG circuit can clip both the B3 and MS60B. I've had to use an attenuator inline to control things a bit (actually my LS-2 with the level pulled down a little!)

Other things I like - it sounds very good indeed. it's ridiculously well featured for the money. I think once you figure out where it's benefits are and that it is a little different in operation than say a normal multi-effects (with ten patch buttons to easily select), then you'll be happy with it.

Cutting to the chase, this is a 100 quid box with several hundred pounds worth of individual effects in as well as some cool little additionally features. Even if you ONLY ever used the Octave effect, it's already cheaper than the a boutique pedal that might not track as well.

One more thought - naturally the distortion patches sound a lot better being plugged straight in to an amp rather than my studio monitors - BUT, running a distortion in to an amp sim, then out to my monitors, things sounded really good, very quickly!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1365357007' post='2038490']
Cutting to the chase, this is a 100 quid box with several hundred pounds worth of individual effects in as well as some cool little additionally features. Even if you ONLY ever used the Octave effect, it's already cheaper than the a boutique pedal that might not track as well.
[/quote]

This is what makes the recent Zoom pedals so damn good. I literally only use my B3 for the tuner and an audio interface at the moment, and live I use a teeny weeny amount of chorus for about 30 seconds during my whole set. Still worth it!!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1365357265' post='2038494']
...running a distortion in to an amp sim, then out to my monitors, things sounded really good, very quickly!
[/quote]

Ah, that's what I'm really interested in - using the amp sims, EQ, drivers and comps as a pre-amp... :)

Incidentally, I did try looping the MS with an LS-2 to get the dry loop as well, but as I expected - being as the pedal is DSP there is some phasing issues when the two signals are mixed. It's not actually horrible, but it does colour the sound. Naturally a DSP dry mix within the processing will not suffer that (For example as in the B3). I think when I have finished tearing the lil box to shreds, I will feedback my findings to Zoom along with any other suggestions on this thread too.

Seams like all the problems you had with it could be solved with the LS2. I'm getting some GAS for this pedal to run a few tone-sculpting patches on that toggle mode you where on about (OD>EQ>synth>Fuzz im thinking, with different settings). Love the fact it has more patches at once than the b3, but less than 1/3 the footprint...

Edited by elephantgrey

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1365362173' post='2038603']
Seams like all the problems you had with it could be solved with the LS2. I'm getting some GAS for this pedal to run a few tone-sculpting patches on that toggle mode you where on about (OD>EQ>synth>Fuzz im thinking, with different settings). Love the fact it has more patches at once than the b3, but less than 1/3 the footprint...
[/quote]

Yes, it's possible to attenuate the input using the LS-2, but it's like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. I'd come up with a better and more simple solution in the meantime. I'd hope that maybe a firmware update in future units could include this DSP loop.

I wouldn't however use the LS-2 personally as a hardware 'loop\ due to the phasing issues. As I said, it's not bad, but it's not something I'd go for. My other option is to only do 'that kind of processing' on my B3 instead, leaving all the full range effects to the MS. Kinda the opposite way round to what I'd like.

- I've had a bit more time to play with the MS today and - well, it's great actually! It certainly excels in physical size too - I just popped one pedal out of my board and this can fulfil the jobs of 4.

[quote name='phagor' timestamp='1364764784' post='2030716']
It lives!

Zoom MS-60B Multistomp for Bass Patch 1 to 10 Test

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7rXx84fO8M[/media]

See the user's other videos for patches 11-20 and 21-30

Zoom MS-60B vs Sansamp Bass Driver

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1820_IXnxg[/media]
[/quote]

I don't know how I missed this news ... looks like an awesome pedal.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1365948588' post='2046312']
Errrm ... are they not available yet ? Quick searches on eBay and Google Shopping revealed nothing.
[/quote]

Not just yet in the UK - I have a pre-release model.

How easy is this to compared to the B3, can you set it up so you can switch one pedal from the four off at anytime if you only needed it for a solo example?

What about the edit and share software is that all still available and the ability to use it as a usb link for playing along in GarageBand and powered by USB not an external power adaptor?

Edited by tonyclaret

No, the MS isn't an audio interface like the B3 - i've not tried Edit & Share with it. I understand you can power the pedal by USB but am a bit short of those type leads having moved to the darkside. The fruit shaped one lol