Why become a member? ×

Possibly dodgy seller advice please!

s0fa

I've been advised to post by my dear fiancé (queenofthedepths) to ask for some advice! :huh:

Basically I've decided I really want to learn to play bass... really badly...

I want to buy my own bass as I find it difficult to play Rog's with my little hands :)

I have my heart set on a Daisy Rock (advice welcome about these aswell) and have found no UK sellers (I'd like to buy off Ebay as I'm a poor student) with the one I have my heart set on, however a US seller has one for sale, pretty cheaply... the problem is his feedback looks dodgy, a few people giving him feedback by name, lots of buyers with only 1 feedback, I don't know it just seems a bit odd?

Am I right to stay away?

Here is the link:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Daisy-Rock-Butterfly-Bass-Monarch_W0QQitemZ300224175013QQihZ020QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Daisy-Rock-Butte...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Thanks in advance ^_^

Sophie

Edited by s0fa

Hah, I can't beleive your name's Rog! I spose I would have noticed had I looked at your sig. Congrats on a fiendish name Queeny! Welcome to your lady friend.

His feedback looks OK to me, but I don't buy much on Ebay. I would go ahead, but then I tend to make rash decisions. Umm, or Ahhh.

MB1. :)
Stick to the U.K whenever possible,try to collect or at least get photos before you part with your hard earned, and remember.... if it looks dodgy it usually is!
Basses are much like Buses you can wait ages for one......then...... two turn up at once!. :huh:

I'd buy from him if he was a UK seller, but I wouldn't have said it was worth the price plus shipping plus the import tax to bother with, if there's a problem with it you're going to have a hard time sorting it. But that said, this is the first butterfly bass I've seen, and I wanted a purple finished butterfly guitar but my wife banned me from buying it!! (Actually, I wanted to custom build a doubleneck, so it had antenna...)

Thanks guys, I think I'll keep looking till I find someone in the UK I think... (if anyone finds one anywhere let me know :huh: )

I've just looked at those two sellers and niether of them have the bass I want, I'll bookmark them though and keep checking :)

If you buy it at the BIN price (£114.91), you'll end up paying around about the following:

purchase price: £114.91
postage: £40 (approx $80)
total for tax purposes: £154.91

import duty: waived (less than £7)
VAT: £27.11

TOTAL: £182.02 (+ whatever fee the thieving courier adds on for collecting the fee from you)

I doubt the customs will fail to notice a bass guitar :)

[quote name='Merton' post='202249' date='May 19 2008, 04:30 PM']I know both Andertons in Guildford and Electromusic in Doncaster [i]have[/i] had Daidy Rock basses in the past, may be worth a punt?[/quote]

Didnt see any on the wall this weekend, but its worth giving them a call cause I have seen a few in there. their website is electro-music.co.uk nunbers on there.

Just throwing this out there, but im guessing the neck is a little big on your bf's bass so your looking for something smaller?
Try a Jazz bass, tiny necks and it'll be much easyer to play sat down too then a wierd shape like the butterfly or heart or whatever.

how about [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electro-Acoustic-Bass-Guitar-new-43in-Pink-Pink-Pink_W0QQitemZ180244160585QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Pink Acoustic[/url]
or
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beautiful-Pink-Bass-Guitar-new-43in_W0QQitemZ170219474563QQihZ007QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Pink P bass[/url] (neck slightly bigger then a J-bass)

But ultimatly you have to like your bass so go with what you feel comfortable with and feel you will enjoy playing.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='202888' date='May 20 2008, 02:37 PM']Didnt see any on the wall this weekend, but its worth giving them a call cause I have seen a few in there. their website is electro-music.co.uk nunbers on there.

Just throwing this out there, but im guessing the neck is a little big on your bf's bass so your looking for something smaller?
Try a Jazz bass, tiny necks and it'll be much easyer to play sat down too then a wierd shape like the butterfly or heart or whatever.

how about [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electro-Acoustic-Bass-Guitar-new-43in-Pink-Pink-Pink_W0QQitemZ180244160585QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Pink Acoustic[/url]
or
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beautiful-Pink-Bass-Guitar-new-43in_W0QQitemZ170219474563QQihZ007QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Pink P bass[/url] (neck slightly bigger then a J-bass)

But ultimatly you have to like your bass so go with what you feel comfortable with and feel you will enjoy playing.[/quote]

At the risk of this seeming like a personal vendetta, I'd steer clear of any of those ultra cheap acoustics. They seem to be horribly made, and you're buying one from someone who knows naff all about instruments - 43" bass? That's double bass territory! Oh wait, you mean the overall length - wow, what a useful measurement!

I gave mine away - couldn't sell it with a clear conscience!

Shame cause im after a cheepo acoustic, and even the ebay specials are a little too expensive as im only using it when bordom strikes at a few festivals this year. probably get broken or stolen anyways.

If anyone is practically giving one away or very cheep... :) :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :) :) ;)

[quote name='neepheid' post='202896' date='May 20 2008, 02:45 PM']At the risk of this seeming like a personal vendetta, I'd steer clear of any of those ultra cheap acoustics. They seem to be horribly made, and you're buying one from someone who knows naff all about instruments - 43" bass? That's double bass territory! Oh wait, you mean the overall length - wow, what a useful measurement!

I gave mine away - couldn't sell it with a clear conscience![/quote]

I've got one of those Swifts, and now I've spent half an hour setting it up, it's a nice enough bass for that sort of money. Did need tweaking though.....

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys I completely missed new posts on this thread :) Hopeless! I do apologise

I got a £100 heartbreaker bass off ebay (free postage!) arrived today and it's lovely!

However it does have "the worst neck dive" dearest fiance has ever seen... but that's a post for elsewhere...!