Why become a member? ×

P or J for covers?

Rumble

I need to add something to the above - I do not own a P at all, but do own a USA Jazz 4 string and my Stingray 5 string.

I take both to all gigs and practices, but the Stingray get the nod for a number of reasons:

1..it is a five string, whihc I need to some tunes, and can't be arsed changing basses
2..it plays like a dream, a bit better than the Jazz (although that is no slouch either)
3..being the SR5, it has a 3 position selector. In the centre position it does a reasonable J sound - not the same, but does the job. The Bridge position is classic Stingray 4, whihc is great, and the Neck position is a powerful rock sound. And the 3-band EQ gives a pretty wide variety of tones - enough for me, anyway.
4..the Ray has a tighter bottom end, whihc in the reality of most gigs, I find useful, since boominess can be tamed in the way that is not possible with the Jazz, I feel

The only thing the Ray lacks is the classic passive tones of a P or J, and at home I usually love the sound of the J bass, but in a band my Ray is the one for me, at least.

What do others reckon?

C

For a function band (I think) you need a bright clean sounding bass with active pickups, preferably a 5 string. Armed with this you can do a passable impression of just about anybody by adjusting the pick up blend, the EQ and your playing style. I have a Zoot Boudica which does everything from jazz to rock and my old Yamaha was also pretty good. In between these two basses I had a Warwick Corvette Standard which had a woolley tone and got totally lost in the mix of a 7 piece band and didn't last very long.

Be different! I regularly get people asking about my bass after gigs probably because it isn't a Fender Clone, and so far the all the comments are GOOOOOOOD.

PS if you do want a Fender clone dont forget Tokai. I have recently imported a Tokai Hard Puncher from a ebay seller in Japan. For the money (£380 including transport) it's very good. Much better than new Fender offerings in the £700 range!

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='22105' date='Jun 22 2007, 08:06 PM']I need to add something to the above - I do not own a P at all, but do own a USA Jazz 4 string and my Stingray 5 string.

I take both to all gigs and practices, but the Stingray get the nod for a number of reasons:

1..it is a five string, whihc I need to some tunes, and can't be arsed changing basses
2..it plays like a dream, a bit better than the Jazz (although that is no slouch either)
3..being the SR5, it has a 3 position selector. In the centre position it does a reasonable J sound - not the same, but does the job. The Bridge position is classic Stingray 4, whihc is great, and the Neck position is a powerful rock sound. And the 3-band EQ gives a pretty wide variety of tones - enough for me, anyway.
4..the Ray has a tighter bottom end, whihc in the reality of most gigs, I find useful, since boominess can be tamed in the way that is not possible with the Jazz, I feel

The only thing the Ray lacks is the classic passive tones of a P or J, and at home I usually love the sound of the J bass, but in a band my Ray is the one for me, at least.

What do others reckon?

C[/quote]

I'd agree with the sentiment wholly here. I had a Stingray 5 which sounded great in the mix - it's very versatile and works superbly live. The only issue I found with it was that the string spacing was too narrow for me - just look around at the pros who use these for recommendation. The Lakland 55-02 does pretty much the same job with wider spacing and an extra pick up (compared to the standard S5).

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='22253' date='Jun 23 2007, 08:47 AM']Guess what I'm going to suggest... :)

Warwick Streamer Stage I for you P (& J) dilemma (IMHO an 80's SS I rolled onto the P pup alone nails the P bass tone with tone to spare).

Warwick Streamer Stage II if you solely fancy that Jazz tone![/quote]

A bit like these...

That's a very nice pair! How do you choose which one you're going to play? I have to say that having owned a SS1 for sometime I wouldn't be overly keen to go down that route again. The SSII on the other hand is a different proposition entirely. Like Blink said, I'd go for a 5 string, and there aren't too many of those around.

Anyone have opinions on Statii for covers?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='22283' date='Jun 23 2007, 10:50 AM']A bit like these...

[/quote]

What a lovely pair!

Further to what others have said about actives...

I find my passive DJ requires a bit of work to get it sitting just right in the mix, while the active one is pretty much plug and play, plus, of course, you have the advantage of boost/cut should you need to change on the fly. owever, the passive bass seems to respond much better to playing dynamics, eve though it is essentially the same bass.

[quote name='Rumble' post='22285' date='Jun 23 2007, 11:04 AM']That's a very nice pair! How do you choose which one you're going to play?[/quote]

Depends which band, what venue and how I'm feeling :huh:

The Stage I is a lot more growly and aggressive whereas the Stage II sits further in the mix. I can happily live with either bass but I sometimes get those days when I am getting gear together for a gig that I feel like a certain bass would better suit my mood...

Oh is it just me then and nobody else feels like that :) !

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='22292' date='Jun 23 2007, 11:33 AM']The Stage I is a lot more growly and aggressive whereas the Stage II sits further in the mix. I can happily live with either bass but I sometimes get those days when I am getting gear together for a gig that I feel like a certain bass would better suit my mood...[/quote]

When you say the SSII sits further in the mix, do you mean further back or further forwards?

[quote name='Rumble' post='22296' date='Jun 23 2007, 11:56 AM']When you say the SSII sits further in the mix, do you mean further back or further forwards?[/quote]

I can blend into the background more with the SS II than with the SS I in the picture (may have something to do with the Bart's in the I). Obviously I can EQ the SS II to stand out in the mix if I need to but with identical settings the SS I tends to be more pronounced (not talking about volume or output settings here).

[quote name='jojobass' post='22286' date='Jun 23 2007, 11:04 AM']I know it's been mentioned already, but I recommend one of these:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-FENDER-PRECISION-P-BASS-SPECIAL-DELUXE-JAZZ-USA_W0QQitemZ110141576283QQihZ001QQcategoryZ64401QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-FENDER-PRECISIO...bayphotohosting[/url]

I've got a similar one and you get more options than using just P or J. They're comfortable to play as well.

Personally I just can't get used to the look of the Lakland basses- the round bridge looks a bit weird to me (but then so does anything that's not a Fender :huh: )

Having said that, if it's P or J my vote would go to the precision. It's just the classic sound for all those old tunes IMO.

Jo[/quote]

Do you guys know if on this Fender model the P pickup is in the exactly same placement as on a regular P bass?

:)

[quote name='jojobass' post='22286' date='Jun 23 2007, 11:04 AM']I know it's been mentioned already, but I recommend one of these:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-FENDER-PRECISION-P-BASS-SPECIAL-DELUXE-JAZZ-USA_W0QQitemZ110141576283QQihZ001QQcategoryZ64401QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-FENDER-PRECISIO...bayphotohosting[/url]

I've got a similar one and you get more options than using just P or J. They're comfortable to play as well.

Personally I just can't get used to the look of the Lakland basses- the round bridge looks a bit weird to me (but then so does anything that's not a Fender :) )

Having said that, if it's P or J my vote would go to the precision. It's just the classic sound for all those old tunes IMO.

Jo[/quote]

That's my bass! - except I have a rosewood fretboard.

I'll be interested to see what it goes for.

He says it's active - battery compartment?????? - I think he's gotten mixed up with the new MIM ones that have a bat comp and an extra control knob.

A jazz, never really liked the P sound, though i do like the P bass special, i beleive my first bass was a copy of those (god i hope it wasn't actually one of those, i knew nothing back then) which i then sold to get a stingray 4.

so out of the jazz and the SR i think it would be the ray but i would love a ray with a jazz neck on it, now that would be some bass.

[quote name='Rumble' post='22444' date='Jun 23 2007, 02:25 PM']Isn't the Sterling a SR with a jazz neck?[/quote]
It does have a thinner neck than a SR, but it also has a different preamp, and a different sound.

Between J or P; for me it's a P. Maybe because the new hasn't worn off of it yet. My Jazz was my number one for years, but lately it's been the P. It's a 62 AVRI with flats on it and it gets the job done. I get more than one sound out of it with the tone knob.

Edited by thesandman

[quote name='thesandman' post='22557' date='Jun 24 2007, 04:44 AM']Between J or P; for me it's a P. Maybe because the new hasn't worn off of it yet. My Jazz was my number one for years, but lately it's been the P. It's a 62 AVRI with flats on it and it gets the job done. I get more than one sound out of it with the tone knob.[/quote]

What is it about a P with flats on that is soooo hard to reproduce with anything else???? I luuurve that sound........
:wub:

[quote name='bumnote' post='22721' date='Jun 24 2007, 07:23 PM']Not so, my US Jo is 8 1/2 lbs.[/quote]

My 44-02 is 7.5 lbs and my 55-02 is 9 lbs. I've played a load of other laklands and none of them were heavy. Lakland only let them go if they are under 10 lb - so they claim.

[quote name='Rumble' post='22754' date='Jun 24 2007, 09:15 PM']Mine must have slipped out in the middle of the night then, coz there's no way it's under 10 Ibs. If it was it would be nigh on perfect. As it is I need to get my hands on one of the sub-10 Ib ones.[/quote]

is yours candy apple by any chance?

[quote name='bumnote' post='22768' date='Jun 24 2007, 09:31 PM']is yours candy apple by any chance?[/quote]

Is that paint any heavier? :)

My Lakland Darryl Jones is 9lb 6. Surprising I thought given that it's smaller than a Jazz. That weight puts it in Precision territory.

Edited by Muppet

[quote name='Sean' post='22749' date='Jun 24 2007, 09:06 PM']My 44-02 is 7.5 lbs and my 55-02 is 9 lbs. I've played a load of other laklands and none of them were heavy. Lakland only let them go if they are under 10 lb - so they claim.[/quote]

I was on about the Skyline for the compromise, apologies for my incoherence.

I'm very very jealous you have a US Fralin equipped Lak'. Any pics on BC Sean?

paul.

[quote name='bumnote' post='22768' date='Jun 24 2007, 09:31 PM']is yours candy apple by any chance?[/quote]
No, sunburst with black scratchplate and maple board. Looks the biz!

[quote name='Muppet' post='22772' date='Jun 24 2007, 09:40 PM']Is that paint any heavier? :)[/quote]
I'll strip it off later and weigh it :huh: They may have put an ultra thick layer of lacquer on it :huh:

I'm having a real problem not taking a dislike to anyone with a DJ at the mo. I so want one!!

[quote name='Rumble' post='22846' date='Jun 25 2007, 08:06 AM']No, sunburst with black scratchplate and maple board. Looks the biz!
I'll strip it off later and weigh it :) They may have put an ultra thick layer of lacquer on it :huh:[/quote]

I had a candy apple red skyline jo and it was really heavy, i sold it on, just wondered if it was the same beast, very nice tho.