Why become a member? ×

THE Bass Relay Thread

Jimryan

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1373838556' post='2142196']
+1 !!

....looking for the next worthy participant to take up the baton !
[/quote]

Again, does anybody know who Steven Clutton is? He commented on our Facebook status. I think he's in Kent. My geography of English counties isn't good, but I might be right in thinking that isn't too close to Derbyshire?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1373839919' post='2142226']
Again, does anybody know who Steven Clutton is? He commented on our Facebook status.
[/quote]

This is James's gig Milt , I don't think the idea is that we trawl the country looking for people to get involved , more get the BC community to participate in a BC fundraiser. Having said that , the cudos of big name endorsements and big publicity is superb and money raising is the benefit it delivers , but lets try and keep it real for a while , there are lots on here who will start to take it seriously now they see what can be done , the spirit is less of one that has to be organised and more one that should develop .

Now the thread is pinned (great call BTW) it might get to more eyes and hopefully more will realise that to get involved needs no more than a PM and a night out.

So Roll up , no pressure to nail the numbers Ubassman just hit ( TOP respect for that one ) it just needs to be kept on the boil .

But also respect to Jim , £1K is a decent number to hit so quick buddy , an inspired idea , well done ,I hope this goes on for a long time .

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1373841316' post='2142251']
This is James's gig Milt
[/quote]

Yes, it is, but I was asked to help out. I wasn't searching really, Mr. Clutton said he was interested, and I was wondering if he was a member on here that we could contact. I don't know if you noticed, but there hasn't been much demand for it after Peter's gig, which is a shame. I want to get it to another gig, and if that means having to ask about a little bit, I will do that.

Relax, guys, it's summer, people are on holiday or planning to go, and may have their minds elsewhere.
Give the relay a bit of time. This being the silly season is one of the reasons why I'm trying to pitch the story to the press asap - they may be more inclined to print something like this than at other times of the year.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1373841685' post='2142254']
I don't know if you noticed, but there hasn't been much demand for it after Peter's gig, which is a shame.
[/quote]
Thank you for bringing that to my attention , but there was no need
[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1373841685' post='2142254']
I want to get it to another gig, and if that means having to ask about a little bit, I will do that.
[/quote]
maybe that is what it needs , and we all want to see it move on , but if it is to be a BC Relay there are plenty of members who will join in when the time is right .

ed to Bluejay :rolleyes:

Edited by lurksalot

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1373842436' post='2142262']
Thank you for bringing that to my attention , but there was no need

maybe that is what it needs , and we all want to see it move on , but if it is to be a BC Relay there are plenty of members who will join in when the time is right .

[/quote]

Of course! I was just wondering if Steven Clutton WAS actually a member on here, and not just some randomer from Facebook. Obviously it's hard to know everyone's first and last names, but the guy was interested, and if he's on here, and wants to have a go, we'll see if it can work out. He has a gig towards the end of the month I believe.

Surely there must be somebody in the Derbyshire area that has a gig coming up and would like to do a good deed?

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1373855498' post='2142315']
If anyone is planning on coming to Cornwall, you could bring down the Baton for me :biggrin:
[/quote]

We are waiting for the next participant to raise their hand. It could be making its way towards Cornwall, who knows? :D

Just came across some stats:-

1/. According to the National Lottery, the chances of winning the jackpot are [url="http://lottery.merseyworld.com/Info/Chances.html"]1 in 14 million. [/url] ....not very good odds !!

2/. According to Cancer Research UK however , 1 out of 3 people will be [url="http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/cancerstats/incidence/risk/statistics-on-the-risk-of-developing-cancer"]diagnosed with cancer[/url] at some time in their life. So, that means that potentially either me writing this, you reading this ....or the next person will have to deal with that day.

So, if anyone needs a reason for getting involved in the Bass Relay .....lets try and get better odds than 1 in 3 !

Edited by ubassman

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1373873414' post='2142370']
Just came across some stats:-

1/. According to the National Lottery, the chances of winning the jackpot are [url="http://lottery.merseyworld.com/Info/Chances.html"]1 in 14 million. [/url] ....not very good odds !!

2/. According to Cancer Research UK however , 1 out of 3 people will be [url="http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/cancerstats/incidence/risk/statistics-on-the-risk-of-developing-cancer"]diagnosed with cancer[/url] at some time in their life. So, that means that potentially either me writing this, you reading this ....or the next person will have to deal with that day.

So, if anyone needs a reason for getting involved in the Bass Relay .....lets try and get better odds than 1 in 3 !

[/quote]

Absolutely! That's why I always say - Who wouldn't support it? We all know somebody who has had cancer, or somebody who died from cancer, or we might be unfortunate enough to be the one who has cancer, but this is what CRUK is all about! Find out more about it, and tackle it. I saw the new Cancer Research ad yesterday, and I'm thinking I should share it on Facebook. It has good shock value.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1373856054' post='2142317']
We are waiting for the next participant to raise their hand. It could be making its way towards Cornwall, who knows? :D
[/quote]
I've got no bass playing gigs until October, only got gigs on sound until then. :(

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1373834264' post='2142134']
It's not about the format but about the characteristics of the publication(s) in question.

End of thread derailment! If anyone knows Emma in person and can contact her on my behalf and speed up the process I'd be grateful :)
[/quote]

I've left Emma a voice message and sent a text,( I even went to her studio but it is appointment only) and she's on holiday for another week.
I really don't think she would have an issue , one of her pics with Rhino & me was used in the Local paper and credited to Emma. She was the Event Photographer for the Rock the Stadium weekend and as I understand it did it as a favour rather than a fee.

If the release is ready to go I'd be tempted to send it , I'll take the blame if there's any issues. I'd reckon just send it to as many as possible , even the high brows as it has actually been played at a Proms in an orchestra and everything ;)
Oh and maybe also Guitar and Bass magazine?

Guys, if you think Emma will be all right with that, I only have to press Send in a series of emails. I'm sure it's only good publicity for her, but it would be best to have her word. However, we are on a tight schedule because the silly season is well under way, and it's our best opportunity.

I can include the qualities and bass magazines in the mailshot - no prob.

Shall we say we wait until tomorrow morning?

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1373899912' post='2142852']
Guys, if you think Emma will be all right with that, I only have to press Send in a series of emails. I'm sure it's only good publicity for her, but it would be best to have her word. However, we are on a tight schedule because the silly season is well under way, and it's our best opportunity.

I can include the qualities and bass magazines in the mailshot - no prob.

Shall we say we wait until tomorrow morning?
[/quote]

Sounds like a plan. That's reasonable time for Emma to get back to you or Donny. If she's not back to you by then, I'd agree with Donny and just send it off.

Guys and Gals,
If the baton is still in Derbyshire by August 9th I'm able to ferry it further south.
I've got a weekend down in Kent (Burwash in the Weald area)and I'm happy to take the purple monster down there to pass on to someone else.
If it's still with Peter I'll collect if off him beforehand.
If it moves on before then, all well and good.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1373901841' post='2142881']
Guys and Gals,
If the baton is still in Derbyshire by August 9th I'm able to ferry it further south.
I've got a weekend down in Kent (Burwash in the Weald area)and I'm happy to take the purple monster down there to pass on to someone else.
If it's still with Peter I'll collect if off him beforehand.
If it moves on before then, all well and good.
[/quote]

If it's still in Derby by then, hopefully at least it will have played another gig :D

Hi guys,

Sorry it's been a while and I've been quiet.

Well done on everything so far. When I got the justgiving email for the donation ubassman made I may have shouted a few exetives through shock, in the middle of a family beach. A phenomenal amount raised in an incredible timeframe.

This is all going much much better than I ever imagined it would.

Also, I forgot to ask/check, have the KaBL stickers been put on the bass and case? It's very important they get seen as Rob kindly donated some fantastic cables and picks to travel with the bass.

Many thanks and do keep up the good work,

James

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1373908455' post='2143013']
Hi guys,

This is all going much much better than I ever imagined it would.

James
[/quote]

It is! It's exciting, I think! Fantastic that the target has been smashed. We should start taking bets on where we think it will finish, in aid of the relay, of course :D :P

Onwards and upwards. If the press take it up, goodness knows where it might stop. It could end up in my house having raised £10,000 in the rest of the UK! :D Here's hoping :)

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1373911226' post='2143049']
James,it does seem to be going rather well.maybe there should be a Rocky I,II,III etc!
There weren't any stickers or cables with it when it was on it's holidays so I'm afraid I'm no help there .
[/quote]

No, I sent the cables and stickers straight to Pete so he had them for when he received the bass from you.