Why become a member? ×

THE Bass Relay Thread

Jimryan

I HAVE STRINGS!

Went to my local music shop this morning, and they had my order in. 3 Brand new sets of D'Addario strings to go along with the Relay bass! That should keep it going for a while! And if a string sponsor jumps on board, any extra strings can be sent off to the "We need strings" charity! HURRAY! :)

Peter - Going to need your address so I can send the strings out :)

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1374954822' post='2155267']
Pete, if I can find the strings on ebay again, I'll send you a link. You appear to be one of the few that likes them.
[/quote]

I probably wouldn't like them. My mum says that from the age I could talk, I always had expensive taste, and I suppose she's right :lol: :rolleyes:

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1374955216' post='2155271']

I probably wouldn't like them. My mum says that from the age I could talk, I always had expensive taste, and I suppose she's right :lol: :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Probably wouldn't matey.

Had a look and I can't seem to find them. All I remember is they were unbranded and they cost about £7.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1374955577' post='2155276']
Probably wouldn't matey.

Had a look and I can't seem to find them. All I remember is they were unbranded and they cost about £7.
[/quote]

Probably the kind of things schools buy, given the kinds of budget they run their music departments on now!

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1374956276' post='2155290']
Schools buy strings these days?

My old school's instruments only got strings replaced if pupils changed them themselves.
[/quote]

Yup. My school did anyway. Instead of the strings being in wrapping, they were inside these weird CD cases. That's how cheap they were. Not even sealed, just thrown into a CD case. I saw one of the guitar teachers change them one time. They looked horrible.

EDIT - Although I generally provided bass strings when I could. They ordered some D'Addario strings, and the order never arrived, and the supplier denied that they hadn't sent it, but they had charged for it. What a bunch of bastards, eh?

Edited by MiltyG565

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1374958533' post='2155328']
I like the strings on it too! Maybe I've got cheap tastes��
[/quote]

Maybe. It's not a bad thing! I wish less of my money went to things which don't make a whole load of difference! :D :P

(I actually think they do make a difference, otherwise I wouldn't generally pick the more expensive products. Sometimes I pick cheaper ones over dearer ones if I think there's no difference.)

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1374954822' post='2155267']
Pete, if I can find the strings on ebay again, I'll send you a link. You appear to be one of the few that likes them.
[/quote]

...a real pain though if you want a deep boomy sound ( aint gonna happen with these strings!! ) but super bright for that more funky groove kinda thang!

Ok, I've sent 3 sets of D'Addario's finest off to Peter to throw in to the bass case. Change the strings as and when it's needed, and if a string company jumps on board with us, any sets of strings left over can be donated to the "We Need Strings" charity! :)

I wouldn't think there would be any pilfering going on, but if anyone thinks a set of strings has gone amiss, you should probably let one of us know, just so we know, and maybe there's a perfectly good reason for it too :) (also please post if you restring the bass).

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1375202010' post='2158089']
Ok, I've sent 3 sets of D'Addario's finest off to Peter to throw in to the bass case. Change the strings as and when it's needed, and if a string company jumps on board with us, any sets of strings left over can be donated to the "We Need Strings" charity! :)

I wouldn't think there would be any pilfering going on, but if anyone thinks a set of strings has gone amiss, you should probably let one of us know, just so we know, and maybe there's a perfectly good reason for it too :) (also please post if you restring the bass).
[/quote]

Nice one Milton.

Bumping this up - We need members to participate!

The bass is currently in Derbyshire, but Len has offered to ferry it a bit further south on the 9th if anybody is interested in getting involved. I believe Len is travelling from Derby to Kent, so if you're handy to the main routes between those places, and you have a gig coming up, PM Len, and leave a comment here so we know who has the bass, where and when it will be used :)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1374908157' post='2154610']
Len. I'm North of London.

My next gig is 10th Aug.

Any good?

PM me.
[/quote]

Tim, any luck getting something sorted with Len?

Again - If you're south of Derby, PM Len, he might be able to meet you to exchange the bass (assuming he's still willing and able), or if you're able to collect off Peter in Derby, that's also fine. The important thing is that it sees some action again :D

And while I'm here - Peter, how is the general condition of the bass? Anything that needs fixed or seen too (frets being my main concern)?

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1375687410' post='2164143'] Yes. I pm'd Len and we will meet assuming no one up north comes up with any requests in the mean time. [/quote]

Great!

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1375683384' post='2164102'] I have plenty of August and September gigs in Hertfordshire pubs, still happy to get involved. [/quote]

You could get it from Tim after he's used it if you're nearby to him?