Why become a member? ×

THE Bass Relay Thread

Jimryan

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1373360332' post='2136563'] Ok so the bass is now on its way back in Derbyshire ! Looking for the next bass player to carry the batten in the Relay. Its really easy as a concept, you just pick up the bass, do a gig and have a whip round for Cancer Research and then pass the bass on to the next person. Its that easy! Great that Quo's bass player Rhino Edwards got involved a week or so ago at Falkirk Stadium , he is apparently having words with Pino to get involved !! I am doing my bit on Saturday at [url="http://www.haddonhall.co.uk/special-events/haddon-hall-proms-in-the-garden/"]Proms in the Garden[/url] event at Haddon Hall ( what a contrast to Falkirk ) and the bass is in Derbyshire ready for the next leg of the relay from 14th July onwards . Have got to say that I have really enjoyed meeting fellow bassists and sharing the experience - feels really great to be involved and be raising funds for such a great cause ! If everyone on Bass Chat chipped in just £1 ...that would make a lot of money ! Simple challenge :- click to a different thread now or click on the Just Giving link below and donate £1. Theres a Map of Honour which tracks where the bass has been and its journey plus Facebook , and Twitter feeds ( see the links below). If nothing else help spread the good word ! [/quote]

Great idea - how do we make it happen?

It'd be great if more of us got involved - it's not hard, it's fun and it's for a great cause. And it's a Bass! And it's "The BC Bass Relay".

Good luck for today - throw some shapes!!

Thanks for all your help

A photo from May when the baton was used at a barn dance.
The take-up so far has been a bit disappointing I think.
Apart from Derbyshire, of course (God's own county).
Maybe there's a lot of bulls**ters on this forum who gig a lot less
than they pretend. Prove me wrong guys and raise some money for a
great cause.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1373748230' post='2141295']

A photo from May when the baton was used at a barn dance.
The take-up so far has been a bit disappointing I think.
Apart from Derbyshire, of course (God's own county).
Maybe there's a lot of bulls**ters on this forum who gig a lot less
than they pretend. Prove me wrong guys and raise some money for a
great cause.
[/quote]

I actually think it's going fairly well. I think it would be tricky to get it around much faster than it is at the minute. It would need to be slick. We have interest on the Facebook page which never seems to transfer back onto the forum. Does anybody know who Steve Clutton is?

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1373801726' post='2141700']
...the bass is clearly a 'babe magnet' :D

....come on BC'ers who's next ?!!
[/quote]

It certainly is - that should generate interest , surely :gas:

C'mon spill the beans about yesterday!

Well, we raised a total of £338.96 ( including gift aid ) so really pleased. It was an orchestral concert at Haddon Hall, billed as Proms in the Gardens. The MC announced that normally I play Double Bass but for the next number I would be playing a special bass and introduced the BC Bass Relay. The orchestra played the Theme Tune to Rocky and we raised the money in 3 minutes that it took to play the piece ! Really fun as we used a coal bucket and anyone from the audience who wanted to donate had to rush up and put money in the pot whilst the song was playing !

Got good coverage on the local radio and will be on BBC radio Derby next week and in the papers ...just looking for the next BC'er now to come and take part.

Sorry Jim :rolleyes: ...looks like you are going to have to reset the target as we have now smashed the £1,000 mark ! :D :D

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1373805467' post='2141756']
Well, we raised a total of £338.96 ( including gift aid ) so really pleased. It was an orchestral concert at Haddon Hall, billed as Proms in the Gardens. The MC announced that normally I play Double Bass but for the next number I would be playing a special bass and introduced the BC Bass Relay. The orchestra played the Theme Tune to Rocky and we raised the money in 3 minutes that it took to play the piece ! Really fun as we used a coal bucket and anyone from the audience who wanted to donate had to rush up and put money in the pot whilst the song was playing !

Got good coverage on the local radio and will be on BBC radio Derby next week and in the papers ...just looking for the next BC'er now to come and take part.

Sorry Jim :rolleyes: ...looks like you are going to have to reset the target as we have now smashed the £1,000 mark ! :D :D
[/quote]

Oh my goodness! Well done! :D Sounds like good fun too! If you get any pictures or a newspaper article, I'd sure like to see it! :)

I recommend, for you Peter, to hop on over to the Facebook page, and let everyone know the good news! :D

[/quote]

Excellent Peter. Well done mate.

[/quote]

Absolutely fantastic, that is class in a glass. Loving the variety. Love to see some pics if possible or any clips. I'm guessing it was lovely weather? :sun_bespectacled:
Dead proud btw! :thank_you:

Well, we raised a total of £338.96 ( including gift aid )... ... we have now smashed the £1,000 mark ! :D :D
[/quote]

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.com/][IMG]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSA/smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-041.gif[/IMG][/URL]

This is all fantastic! And it's all happening as James, Milton and I have just decided to try and pitch the national press about the BC Bass Relay. Reaching the first fundraising milestone is the perfect opportunity.

I have written a quite professional-looking (if I can say so!) press release which I'm going to email to the middle-of-the-road and tabloid newspapers - but not to the qualities, as I somehow don't think the Guardian, the Times and their like would have space for our story.
I have embedded two photos in it, one of which I own, while the other belongs to the professional photographer who took it in Falkirk where the baton was signed by Rhino of Quo. I have asked the photographer for her permission to use the photo, but she is on holiday and hasn't read my email or my tweet to her, so that's basically what we are waiting for.

Once that is cleared, it'll be all systems go, and we hope that at least one paper will take up the story. If that happened, the results could be awesome!
I may also pitch the London Evening Standard and the Metro, but a national newspaper taking it up would be best :)

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1373820203' post='2141937']
This is all fantastic! And it's all happening as James, Milton and I have just decided to try and pitch the national press about the BC Bass Relay. Reaching the first fundraising milestone is the perfect opportunity.

I have written a quite professional-looking (if I can say so!) press release which I'm going to email to the middle-of-the-road and tabloid newspapers - but not to the qualities, as I somehow don't think the Guardian, the Times and their like would have space for our story.
I have embedded two photos in it, one of which I own, while the other belongs to the professional photographer who took it in Falkirk where the baton was signed by Rhino of Quo. I have asked the photographer for her permission to use the photo, but she is on holiday and hasn't read my email or my tweet to her, so that's basically what we are waiting for.

Once that is cleared, it'll be all systems go, and we hope that at least one paper will take up the story. If that happened, the results could be awesome!
I may also pitch the London Evening Standard and the Metro, but a national newspaper taking it up would be best :)
[/quote]

I think we should reserve judgement on the quality of the newspapers, in case they read through this thread, and take exception to it, and get a bit ratty. Unlikely to happen, but yeah, that's how my mind works! :D :P

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1373820597' post='2141944']
LOL Milt, "quality", "middle of the road" and "tabloid" are the latest bit of jargony definitions I've learned, don't shoot me down like that :D
[/quote]

Haha! I just think it's kind of shooting yourself in the foot if you said to a newspaper "Here's a story for you, check out this thread" and in that thread, you say something like "i'm not sending it to the really good newspapers, because I don't think they'll be interested" :D

Never the less, it probably doesn't matter. I'll try not to overshadow Peter's and those who attended the open air concert's remarkable contribution. :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1373833022' post='2142119']
Haha! I just think it's kind of shooting yourself in the foot if you said to a newspaper "Here's a story for you, check out this thread" and in that thread, you say something like "i'm not sending it to the really good newspapers, because I don't think they'll be interested" :D

Never the less, it probably doesn't matter. I'll try not to overshadow Peter's and those who attended the open air concert's remarkable contribution. :D
[/quote]

Hey, "Quality newspapers" has nothing to do with my opinion of any publication, it's actually very precise - if perhaps jargon-like - term that denotes a certain group of newspapers, and is widely accepted and used in the field of media. Same for middle of the road and tabloid. Honest - look them up :)

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1373833759' post='2142129']
Hey, "Quality newspapers" has nothing to do with my opinion of any publication, it's actually very precise - if perhaps jargon-like - term that denotes a certain group of newspapers, and is widely accepted and used in the field of media. Same for middle of the road and tabloid. Honest - look them up :)
[/quote]

Really? I know tabloid is one, for papers like The Sun, but I didn't know that middle of the road and Quality were actually denoting a specific format of newspaper! :o It seems quite basic, really. and derogatory, in certain terms. I propose - High brow, Low brow, and no brow to be the new classification of newspapers. Although, I won't put any of the papers into any categories yet :D