Why become a member? ×

THE Bass Relay Thread

Jimryan

Right, I have sent out our press release to the following publications today. Some are pretty obvious targets, others are a bit in the "yeah, keep dreaming" league, but it doesn't harm us to try anyway.

Bass Guitar Magazine (I know they've covered this before, but they may reprise...)
Guitar And Bass Magazine
FACT Magazine
Q Magazine
The NME

The BBC news website
The London Metro and the Scottish Metro
The London Evening Standard
The Independent
The Times
The Sun
The Express
The Mail
The Mirror

The above are those I was able to find an email address for that accepted news bits and press releases from the public.
Some of the quality papers clearly do not want anything to do with whatever the public may wish to send to them, and make it especially difficult for anyone not in the know to discover the correct contact to email. So it's their loss :D

Now, that press release I've written is suitable for any type of newspaper or magazine; as per PR rules, it's just one page of text, it's concise, it contains two embedded photos and two quotes, and it's meant to serve as an appetizer for any journalist who might be interested in covering our story.
In that case, the journalist would contact us for more details and original files, and I would pass on the details of those involved and happy to talk to the press.

If anyone of you guys has local media contacts they would like to pitch our story to, please feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to send you the PDF document of the press release to forward to them. The more, the merrier, and the higher the exposure.

Thank you all for your help and support, and special thanks to James, Milton, Donald, and Peter.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1373982161' post='2143802']
Right, I have sent out our press release to the following publications today. Some are pretty obvious targets, others are a bit in the "yeah, keep dreaming" league, but it doesn't harm us to try anyway.

Bass Guitar Magazine (I know they've covered this before, but they may reprise...)
Guitar And Bass Magazine
FACT Magazine
Q Magazine
The NME

The BBC news website
The London Metro and the Scottish Metro
The London Evening Standard
The Independent
The Times
The Sun
The Express
The Mail
The Mirror

The above are those I was able to find an email address for that accepted news bits and press releases from the public.
Some of the quality papers clearly do not want anything to do with whatever the public may wish to send to them, and make it especially difficult for anyone not in the know to discover the correct contact to email. So it's their loss :D

Now, that press release I've written is suitable for any type of newspaper or magazine; as per PR rules, it's just one page of text, it's concise, it contains two embedded photos and two quotes, and it's meant to serve as an appetizer for any journalist who might be interested in covering our story.
In that case, the journalist would contact us for more details and original files, and I would pass on the details of those involved and happy to talk to the press.

If anyone of you guys has local media contacts they would like to pitch our story to, please feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to send you the PDF document of the press release to forward to them. The more, the merrier, and the higher the exposure.

Thank you all for your help and support, and special thanks to James, Milton, Donald, and Peter.
[/quote]

Fantastic! No thanks needed here, Jay, you did all the work on this one :)

Thanks for all you efforts Sylvia ( btw theres another masterclass at the academy later in the year - tempted? !)

Jim, I will be 'sticking up' the bass and packing ready for the next recipient complete with KaBLes .

I am going to be on the radio later in the week .The Relay is gaining interest and momentum - theres no shortage of musicians around and I think that it will be only a short time before the next story emerges.

Jim, just got to say a huge congratulations to you for having the idea in the first place and really pleased to have had a part in the bass's adventures! My youngest daughter aged 13 wouldn't put the bass down and just loves the popping and slapping sound ( what are the strings that are on it? Might have to invest in bass for her as long as it has that sound ....hopefully the auction won't be for a good long while yet !!).

Peter

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1374008278' post='2144256']
Thanks for all you efforts Sylvia ( btw theres another masterclass at the academy later in the year - tempted? !)

Jim, I will be 'sticking up' the bass and packing ready for the next recipient complete with KaBLes .

I am going to be on the radio later in the week .The Relay is gaining interest and momentum - theres no shortage of musicians around and I think that it will be only a short time before the next story emerges.

Jim, just got to say a huge congratulations to you for having the idea in the first place and really pleased to have had a part in the bass's adventures! My youngest daughter aged 13 wouldn't put the bass down and just loves the popping and slapping sound ( what are the strings that are on it? Might have to invest in bass for her as long as it has that sound ....hopefully the auction won't be for a good long while yet !!).

Peter
[/quote]

Cheers buddy, as for the strings, they're a £7 set off of ebay, nothing fancy and I'm really surprised that they've lasted this long.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1374141524' post='2145665']
So who are the sponsors here? Do we have a strings company among them?
[/quote]

As far as I know, no, there aren't. The sponsors are Ashdown and KaBL. James was trying to get Rotosound on board, but I don't think they ever actually sent anything.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1374141625' post='2145666']
As far as I know, no, there aren't. The sponsors are Ashdown and KaBL. James was trying to get Rotosound on board, but I don't think they ever actually sent anything.
[/quote]

Ha. I see an opportunity there, if not with Rotosound, with another string maker (such as? Suggestions, please!).

Now, if only someone, anyone from the press I contacted got in touch, we could mention that to the potential sponsor and whet their appetite somewhat...

Incidentally, I received a few automated replies to my mailshot, and the gist of them is that papers receive literally thousands of press releases every day and sifting through them takes time. So we better not hold our collective breath. But I'm still hopeful.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1374141940' post='2145672']
Ha. I see an opportunity there, if not with Rotosound, with another string maker (such as? Suggestions, please!).

Now, if only someone, anyone from the press I contacted got in touch, we could mention that to the potential sponsor and whet their appetite somewhat...

Incidentally, I received a few automated replies to my mailshot, and the gist of them is that papers receive literally thousands of press releases every day and sifting through them takes time. So we better not hold our collective breath. But I'm still hopeful.
[/quote]

I did want to try and get D'Addario on board, but I think James wanted to keep things local, so Rotosound was really the only choice there, but if they aren't going to sponsor it, I suppose all bets are off, and D'Addario are worth a shot? I've talked with D'Addario before, and they are very friendly.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1374142659' post='2145685']
I have no preference, so I'm fine with D'Addario (I use their Chromes on my 5ers too!). How urgent is a change of strings? If we could hold it for a few more days, here's hoping we might hear from someone in the press and see the relay suddenly become more bankable?
[/quote]

Maybe, but I'm happy enough to supply a few sets for now.

I tried rotosound and was talking with Jason and he sounded really really keen, but nothing ever got sent.

As a follow up to that, I tried D'addario/planet waves but for sponsorship they wanted details on all of the dates and how we would market them. To get them on board it's all about filling out forms and not actually speaking to a person.

So, to date, we have no string sponsors, which surprises me as I thought someone would want to.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1373901841' post='2142881']
Guys and Gals,
If the baton is still in Derbyshire by August 9th I'm able to ferry it further south.
I've got a weekend down in Kent (Burwash in the Weald area)and I'm happy to take the purple monster down there to pass on to someone else.
If it's still with Peter I'll collect if off him beforehand.
If it moves on before then, all well and good.
[/quote]

I'm reposting this one. Any interest?

Still up here with me in the Peak District , Derbyshire ( only about 1 hours drive from Manchester, Sheffield, Derby or Nottingham) . I'll even throw in a cup of tea and a bit of freshly made victoria sponge ( * see note ) for anyone who wants to pick up the bass this weekend. Last chance saloon before Len picks it up on 9th August and it wends its way back down South !

I have had such a blast playing the bass and raising money - it was so, so easy to do. The format that worked for me was to have a whip round whilst the band played a number - we raised nearly £340 in 3 minutes - thats about £1 every half a second !!

( * ...while stocks last !)