Why become a member? ×

Jimi Hendrix - Stockholm 1969

discreet

Are you sure that's a tuner? I'm only 31, but I've been playing since I was 8 and I can only remember seeing clip-on tuners in the last 10 years or so. When I was a kid, my mum took me to the local music shop to look at tuners, and the only electric tuners were those chunky ones with the needle display and the built-in microphone. Other than that the choice was pitch pipes or a tuning fork, and that was in 1990. I don't think they had clip-on tuners in 1969 - would any veterans care to confirm this? I think it's a flower he tucked under his strings because he liked it!

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1358441311' post='1939259']
Are you sure that's a tuner? I'm only 31, but I've been playing since I was 8 and I can only remember seeing clip-on tuners in the last 10 years or so. When I was a kid, my mum took me to the local music shop to look at tuners, and the only electric tuners were those chunky ones with the needle display and the built-in microphone. Other than that the choice was pitch pipes or a tuning fork, and that was in 1990. I don't think they had clip-on tuners in 1969 - would any veterans care to confirm this?
[/quote]

You have had too much beer my friend :)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358441496' post='1939269']
You have had too much beer my friend :)
[/quote]
In an uncharacteristically pedantic moment, I've just looked it up. If Wikipedia is to be believed, in the late 60s there were only large mechanical strobe tuners like the Peterson which were unlikely to be adopted by touring bands. The needle type electronic tuners appeared in the 80s and the clip-on tuners not until the mid 90s. So, "no tuners" was a fair assessment of what was going on here.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1358442492' post='1939296']
In an uncharacteristically pedantic moment, I've just looked it up. If Wikipedia is to be believed, in the late 60s there were only large mechanical strobe tuners like the Peterson which were unlikely to be adopted by touring bands. The needle type electronic tuners appeared in the 80s and the clip-on tuners not until the mid 90s. So, "no tuners" was a fair assessment of what was going on here.
[/quote]

We are only joking about what it is (we know it's not a clip on tuner, they did not exist then), none of us seems to know, but it's most likely to be a scone.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358447126' post='1939424']
:o Terrible!
[/quote]

Really?

It could have been a Stepping Scone. It's all academic anyway as it's Scone Free now.

EDIT: Disclaimer. I'm on powerful medication that can sometimes cloud my judgement. Bit like a Purple Haze decends.

Edited by Marvin