Why become a member? ×

What is up with Eden?

thodrik

I just saw in other thread someone in another thread say something along the lines of 'a lot of US players use Eden' and it got me thinking. I barely ever see an Eden at a gig, rehearsal studio, or in a shop, maybe 2 in the last 8 years. Were Eden amps ever popular on these shores?

Also, what is the current situation with Eden? I know that they were bought out by Marshall but since then I have heard nothing in terms of new products or any developments whatsoever.

I also know that key figures like David 'Eden' Nordschow and Lane Baldwin have moved on to do DNA amps a while back, but I really haven't heard much from DNA either.

Basically is Eden restructuring or are they just one step from disappearing altogether?

Thanks in advance for any input.

There was a recent post on Talkbass about Eden.

Marshall seems to be improving things but as Eden was allowed to drift the task of getting them back on track is a pretty tough one.

They said that David Nordschow is doing some work for Eden. That's got to be good news.

Must admit I did think that once Marshall took them over we would see more Eden products in more music shops but that hasn`t seemed to be the case. I like Eden cabs, they sound great, though they are heavy (aside from the old Nemesis range).

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1358186166' post='1934517']

They said that David Nordschow is doing some work for Eden. That's got to be good news.
[/quote]

Interesting. I thought he was gone for good. I'm hoping Eden do make a 'comeback' rather than plunging into non-relevance. Even SWR has a more visible status at this point.

Marshall appear to have plenty of Eden gear in stock so can't understand why it isn't out with dealers. I got in touch recently for some rack ears for my WT550 and they sent me some FOC.
The amp has just been serviced by them and it was at this point they said they had stock.

Eden of old was quality gear... but they did the same as SWR did ( and many others ) and sold out to a larger company who would want to streamline costs and probably move production East.
Whether you think it is the same gear now or has the same quality or kudos is down to you.

For me, I accept I might have to pay a premium for a western salary to build it ..not getting into the argument of whether they are actually worth that premium on certain kit, but I don't see the value ...for me.. to pay all the differential to shareholders.

So, IMO, old Eden kit...top draw...not so sure I would pay that money now.

I also get the impression that their model line needs updating..

I have had an Eden Metro for over 10 years but am about to sell it as I have up-graded to an Acoustic Image Clarus/Ten2X package (courtesy of Scooby). I have gigged it in every conceivable situation and it is a great piece of kit. I once needed to replace the castors and it cost me £16. I needed to replace them again recently and Marshall sent them to me for free.

Go Marshall.....

I use a WTX500 through two GK lightweight Neo 4 x 10's and the sound I get is superb. Still amazes me that an amp literally the size of a car CD/Radio weighing about 5 pounds can produce such a huge sound. No intention of swapping it for anything unless it becomes unreliable which it has'nt been up to now. Cant praise Eden enough. Hope it doesnt go out of production.

All best everybody.

I recently got some Eden gear, a WT-550 and a pair of D112XLT Neo cabs (thay aren't heavy at all) and it was quality gear but not the kind of sound i was looking for. The sound and build quality are top noch, i can't fault it. Definetly worth a looking when searching for new gear.

Eventually my Thunderfunk+Super12T rig took priority due to a bit more mid range clarity and punch and less low end but if i still was gigging the Eden Rig i would be perfectly happy with it.

I spoke to Marshall before Xmas as I was looking to try out and buy an Eden WT800. Basically they will not send stuff out to dealers on Sale or Return at the moment. They say that dealers are very reluctant to buy in stock knowing that they will be stuck with it (Eden stuff doesn't exactly fly off the shelves), also, most dealers suspect that aspart of the buy out they will be developing new products and releasing them soon.

So the catch is, no dealers will buy in stock, so there's nowhere I can go nearby to try one out. I'm not about to buy an amp I have not tried! I said to Marshall/Eden rep that they should really consider sending some out SOR to get the name known again, but unfortunately they don't seem to keen to do that. I guess as Marshall is a household name they have never needed to do this.

Personally I was put off by the fact that there seemed to be a large amount of indifference, from the music shop, from Marshall, and even from Eden US, who basically sent me back to Marshall.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1358249599' post='1935405']
I spoke to Marshall before Xmas as I was looking to try out and buy an Eden WT800. Basically they will not send stuff out to dealers on Sale or Return at the moment. They say that dealers are very reluctant to buy in stock knowing that they will be stuck with it (Eden stuff doesn't exactly fly off the shelves), also, most dealers suspect that aspart of the buy out they will be developing new products and releasing them soon.

So the catch is, no dealers will buy in stock, so there's nowhere I can go nearby to try one out. I'm not about to buy an amp I have not tried! I said to Marshall/Eden rep that they should really consider sending some out SOR to get the name known again, but unfortunately they don't seem to keen to do that. I guess as Marshall is a household name they have never needed to do this.

Personally I was put off by the fact that there seemed to be a large amount of indifference, from the music shop, from Marshall, and even from Eden US, who basically sent me back to Marshall.
[/quote]

That is hardly encouraging. I always thought that Eden had a 'distinctive' sound, much like Trace Elliot did/does. Part of me thinks that heavy MOSFET amps with lots of tonal shaping options are completely out of fashion in the current 'I set everything flat' lightweight amp craze.

My Thunderfunk weighs 22 lbs and the WT800 is about 26lbs. They both sound great.

I've sold all my lightweight amps and have gone back to the tone I prefer, even if it is from a heavy amp.

Bassdirect has a WT800 for sale, and there is at least 1 for sale here on BC.

Nothing wrong with lots of tone shaping options, the older larger MB heads had a lot of tone shaping options (4 band semi paramteric eq plus two filters and a tube compressor all in one box for instance), thing is if you get the right cabs you dont need as much eq in the amp IME...

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1358254742' post='1935603']
if you get the right cabs you dont need as much eq in the amp IME...
[/quote]

Agree with this, just like mic'ing the sound correctly at source means you don't need to process so much. I'd never run an amp flat until I got my Barefaced speaker!