Why become a member? ×

Biggest talent, worst gear

thinman

[quote name='thinman' post='201105' date='May 17 2008, 04:21 PM']Just to get everyone going...

Who are the biggest bas talents you know of with the worst gear?

(Or the reverse! My vote would go to some of the people at a Hedge Fund manager's "Hedgestock" event.)[/quote]

For me (duck's to avoid missiles) Jack Bruce - at just about every stage of his career.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='201107' date='May 17 2008, 04:25 PM']For me (duck's to avoid missiles) Jack Bruce - at just about every stage of his career.[/quote]
But was it, though, relative to what was available at the time? There's a reason why he liked short-scale instruments like the Gibson EB-3 and the Fender Bass VI... :huh:

Otherwise, I'm sure there are guys with rubbish instruments at home, but when it comes to live playing, a rubbish instrument would be a bit risky, IMHO. Let the guitarists muck around with such stuff. :)

[quote name='thinman' post='201105' date='May 17 2008, 04:21 PM']Or the reverse![/quote]

Yeah it’s a worse sin to be crap but a poser with some properly nice gear. Makes me think of a few people from college and uni, let alone any pro players…

Billy Sheehan with his "wife" p-bass.
Jaco with his jazz .

apparently James Jamerson's "Funk Machine" P had a bowed neck and very high action.

for cheap gear, not necessarily bad, Paul Westwood, with Hohner, Westone and Ibanez basses.

[quote name='SJA' post='201167' date='May 17 2008, 05:41 PM']apparently James Jamerson's "Funk Machine" P had a bowed neck and very high action[/quote]
I understand he liked it that way so it felt like playing a double bass!
I'm sure John Entwistle would vote for himself, in his never-ending search for the perfect bass :huh: A bloody brilliant player, never satisfied with his tone...
I'll vote for myself too :) All of my basses have cost under £500 and unless I get signed, I doubt I'll ever spend the insane amounts some people seem to!

[quote name='bnt' post='201118' date='May 17 2008, 04:48 PM']But was it, though, relative to what was available at the time? There's a reason why he liked short-scale instruments like the Gibson EB-3 and the Fender Bass VI... :huh:

Otherwise, I'm sure there are guys with rubbish instruments at home, but when it comes to live playing, a rubbish instrument would be a bit risky, IMHO. Let the guitarists muck around with such stuff. :)[/quote]

To explain my choice - it certainly is true that there was less available at the time , but not these days and last I saw he chose Warwicks.
Purely my personal choice which is acceptable in a thread like this - but I can't bear Gibsons or Warwicks.

I have immense respect for the guy but not his kit choices - sorry

[quote name='beerdragon' post='201156' date='May 17 2008, 05:30 PM']Jack Casady likes Epiphones. nothing wrong with them. each to their own.
[url="http://www.jackcasady.com/VideoProductionHigh.html"]http://www.jackcasady.com/VideoProductionHigh.html[/url][/quote]

But his signature bass is by far the nicest bass guitar that Epiphone make and it's based on the quite rare and expensive [url="http://www.bobknarley.com/bass/lpsig.html"]Les Paul Signature Bass[/url].

nothing wrong with warwick john entwistle was a user allthough he did go to status , my preference is warwick and ricks . i sometimes wonder about why people go for fender . alright in their day but far better bass out there . not slagging fender or those that really like them , but the choice is so varied these days each to their own .

Hah, oh dear. I feel like I have stuff that is better than I deserve... But it is just my treat for me, y'know? I enjoy doing it. And as long as I carry on not being snobbish about anyone else's gear, I hope nobody will think I'm a poser :)

Apparently the old bassist from New Model Army (forgot his name - how bad is that!? Stuart Morrow?) plays a very cheap Tanglewood with one of those rubbish thin leads you get when you buy a beginner guitar. Weird for someone like him, I thought!

an instrument makes sound, the musician makes music. To a certain extent gear as long as the instrument can do the fundemntals, (ie stay in turn and be intonated ok) then it is the player who makes it. If noone used company Xs gear then we think it is rubbish. But cos the great players use it in our minds it is good.
For isntance Fretless Fender Jazz are considered good possibly because Jaco did such cool stuff with his.
At the time he had to de fret the thing himself though.

so our opinions of gear is partially influenced by who plays it.

[quote name='Jase' post='201339' date='May 18 2008, 12:51 AM']What does Geezer use these days? I prefer him with a Ric.[/quote]

[url="http://www.lakland.com/artists/geezer_butler.htm"]http://www.lakland.com/artists/geezer_butler.htm[/url]

Found this (the youtube link doesn't work) but don;t know how recent it is. Great player , Geezer.

[quote name='chardbass' post='201313' date='May 18 2008, 12:03 AM']Jeff Berlin and his Dean bass.[/quote]

:) :huh: :huh: They do suck a bit, don't they?

I understand Mike Stern (guitarist) has the worst gear possible but makes it sound fantastic.

I used to share lessons with another kid (who seems to have disappeared off the radar entirely, on the bass front), who had a Rickenbacker 4003, and a huge cabinet.

When you bear in mind that he'd been playing bass for about a month, and struggled to play Smoke On The Water, I thought that it was a rather strange investment, rather than a cheaper bass.