Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a bridge please

Jimryan

Afternoon all,

I'm thinking of changing the bridge on my P. I play with the ashtray cover on, and I've realised that if I have a string breakage live, it's a lot of faffing to change it. Therefore, I'm considering a bridge change to one where the string hooks on/slots in (ie hipshot A type, sandberg, clover), instead of being threaded through the bridge.

Most of the ones I've seen require 4 screws but my squier bridge has 5. Filling the holes and re-drilling is no big issue, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a 5 screw bridge that I could use as a direct replacement.

Cheers,

James

Aha, you have discovered the drawback of the non direct replacement bridge! This will involve drilling new holes etc...not ideal. I would avoid this option - but then again I am a wuss.

My advice: DONT break any strings (I have never broke a string in 35 years!).... and fit a Gotoh 201 for ease of replacement. Its a really nice bridge, every bit as good as the much more expensive Badass & a dead easy fit straight into the standard P bass bridge holes.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1357488833' post='1923322']
Aha, you have discovered the drawback of the non direct replacement bridge! This will involve drilling new holes etc...not ideal. I would avoid this option - but then again I am a wuss.

My advice: DONT break any strings (I have never broke a string in 35 years!).... and fit a Gotoh 201 for ease of replacement. Its a really nice bridge, every bit as good as the much more expensive Badass & a dead easy fit straight into the standard P bass bridge holes.
[/quote]

I'm ok on the string breaking front, not broke one yet. It's more of a precaution. I know that if one breaks, it won't be at home. I know it'll be whilst tuning up for a big show or something important. So ideally I'd like a bridge where I can restring it without the hassle of, ashtray off, restring, ashtray on. Just a quick, hook string on, tune up, and we're off. Hence why the 201 wouldn't do.

I'm quite happy and prepared to re-drill, I was just hoping that there may be an alternative.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1357489805' post='1923361']
Will the replacement bridge still fit under the ashtray cover?
[/quote]

I'm sure hoping it will. There's a fair bit of room under the ashtray, so unless its a ridiculously massive replacement, then it should.

If you do decide to go with the traditional type bridge, then I'm with White Cloud, The Gotoh 201 is a really nice bit of kit and for me much more pleasing than the Badass.

I've not got any experience of the other type of bridge, other than on my Wal.

Not broken a string in a gigging situation but as you say, it could happen.

I really don't like the look of the badass bridges, so I wouldn't be tempted by one of those.

Where re-drilling is looking more and more like the only real option, I'm half tempted to install single saddle bridges and go the whole hog and have it made string through whilst I'm at it. A top load/string though choice would be nice I guess.

I recently put a Hipshot Supertone bridge onto an Epiphone EB0 and was *really* impressed by the quality. One of their A style bridges might do the job - not sure about screw holes etc but quality-wise it knocks spots off a Gotoh 201 I put on another bass.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1357500226' post='1923666']
I recently put a Hipshot Supertone bridge onto an Epiphone EB0 and was *really* impressed by the quality. One of their A style bridges might do the job - not sure about screw holes etc but quality-wise it knocks spots off a Gotoh 201 I put on another bass.
[/quote]

You mention the screw holes, this is my main concern. I've put some research in and apparently, they'll still fit a 5 screw fender despite having 4 holes. So I've emailed hipshot asking them.

I have some alternative plans if you want to keep the ashtray cover. Plan a; Get a spare ashtray cover. Drill large holes into it so that it is easy to see where the strings would feed into the existing bridge. Plan b: use tele bass bridge cover, the string bridge anchor end is open. Plan c: get a metalwork shop to make you an exact size base plate with a fold at the ball end and slots rather than string hole. The fold would be a bit like that on a music man bass. Plan d: Hipshot or Schaller bridge.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1357502268' post='1923718']
I have some alternative plans if you want to keep the ashtray cover. Plan a; Get a spare ashtray cover. Drill large holes into it so that it is easy to see where the strings would feed into the existing bridge.
[/quote]

This. Fantastic idea. Brilliant, yet so simple.

Cheers 3below.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1357504857' post='1923772']
This. Fantastic idea. Brilliant, yet so simple.

Cheers 3below.
[/quote]

Thanks, if it works well you could even go to expense of getting holes finished well and the whole ashtray re-chromed so that it looks original.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1357553572' post='1924227']
If the Squier is a CV then the holes do line up ok. Ive changed the bridges on both my Squier's without the need to re drill.
[/quote]

Dave, what bridge did you replace it with? It's not a CV, it's a VM.

James

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1357564614' post='1924480']
Dave, what bridge did you replace it with? It's not a CV, it's a VM.
[/quote]

I replaced the stock bridge on my VM fretless with a Gotoh 203. I chose this bridge as it was pretty much a direct replacement, offered an additional two anchor points at the front of the bridge (allegedly contributing to better sustain) and it fits under a Fender Jazz bridge ashtray. Not sure the 201 fit under the ashtray though.
Hope this helps.

Edited by johnDeereJack