Why become a member? ×

Warwick rockbass streamer standard

marcus bell

I don't own a Streamer, but I do own three Rockbasses (Corvette and Fortress) and they're good stuff and proper value for money.
My models are pre-2010, which means they have the not-very-clever bridge design that prevents you installing a low B string that's thicker than .130. I understand this has been rectified both on Rockbasses and on Warwicks proper, with a new bridge design.
The other thing to watch out for, as on all Warwicks I think, is the jack socket on the body, which is notoriously pretty fragile. Try to plug and unplug the lead in a straight line, and avoid pushing or pulling diagonally.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1357237713' post='1919648']
I only found it through a search as I'm interested in a Streamer Standard, but not a Rockbass.
[/quote]
They are pretty similar!

I've not owned either, but the one thing I've seen commented a lot about the Stramer Standards (both the old Warwick and the newer Rockbass version) is that the pickups are not good - very weak - but are a nonstandard size/shape, so hard to replace.

Regarding the weakness of the pickups, if the Streamer is like my Rockbasses I imagine that there may be a difference between active and passive versions of the electronics. My two active ones sound powerful enough to me even when plugged directly into the amp, but they're not as good as "Warwicks with a W".

Bridge on the Rockbass Corvette (the Fender like bridge) has an undersized hole on B string. Consequently larger strings will not pass through. Solution is dead easy diy - just drill the hole out to suitable diameter, can be done in situ, 2 min job. Quality of Rockbasses is pretty damn impressive. I do notice the lower output of passive pickups copmpared to G&L and Kramer with passives.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1357245773' post='1919892']
Regarding the weakness of the pickups, if the Streamer is like my Rockbasses I imagine that there may be a difference between active and passive versions of the electronics. My two active ones sound powerful enough to me even when plugged directly into the amp, but they're not as good as "Warwicks with a W".
[/quote]
The Streamer Standard has a different pickup to any other Warwick, and I'm pretty sure they only come in a passive version. I guess a preamp could compensate for a weak pickup to some extent. But my impression with the other Warwick models was that there was a significant difference between their passive pickups and their active pickups; i.e. it's not just the preamp that makes the difference.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1357670714' post='1926447']
I have a Rockbase Corvette with active pickups and it's as powerful as my other basses. The difference must be passive vs. active I think.
[/quote]
It's really not just simply a passive/active thing. Yes, the active pups on your Corvette, like the active pups on my Thumb, are great, and powerful. But the passive pickups fitted to some corvettes are also fine. I've only heard a few complaints about regular MEC passive pickups, and then mainly about their passive P pups. Whereas the pups on the Streamer Standard get loads of grumbles.

I have one of the very first Rockbass Streamer Standards, single p/u in 5 string config. I use it as a backup, Great bass quality and playability wise, have to agree though, the mec pickup is extremely weak output-wise. Often thought about modding it too.