Why become a member? ×

Eddie Cochrane - mystery!!

thepurpleblob

Asked to learn C'mon Everybody amongst others. To be honest, I'm a bit stumped. I neither like nor have an ear for this 50s stuff and I can't tell which instrument is the bass!!! What's that 'clicky' sound in the intro and under the verse? Is this slapping an upright or something.

Anyway... any tips on how to play this stuff appreciated. Or I could just run away :)

It`s a very easy song to play, in E, though I can see where you`re coming from - the clicking, maybe double-bass.

But, have a listen to The Sex Pistols version,in which the bass is quite audible (although theirs is somewhere between E and Eb):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X7Wlams-E4[/media]

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1357000581' post='1916322']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3xtqEv99eE[/media]
[/quote]

Great record - was the first single I bought with my own money when it was reissued in 1976. The "clicky" sound could possibly be electric bass (possibly a P or a Ricky) as he was no slouch on bass either. Totally underrated as a guitarist (IMO) but that's another thread...

Couldn't swear blind, but wasn't most of the 50's and early 60's Rock & Roll recorded on 2 track?

The bassist on the record is called Guybo Smith, i don't know if that's him in the film clip,he played bass guitar on most of Eddie's stuff, that style of playing is almost what you would call 'punk or new wave; year's ahead of it's time, it gave the song's at that time a differant type of energy and power, he was part of Eddie's tuoring band too, The Kelly Four.

Just a suggestion - Watch the bass man - E, A, B but for the intro and verse, the "roll" is Eb to E.
Plenty of mid to give bite and grunt and use a pick unless your finger is like a rhino horn.
We play it in F - makes life a bit easier for our singer[i]. B) [/i]

Edited by Jazzneck