Why become a member? ×

Ric'o'sound demo! - visit my YT channel!

Guitar-restaurant

Love the flats comparison. Think my fave sound on there was the LaBellas, but when I had them on my bass I wasn`t overkeen on them in the mix. Just got a set of Chromes, which seem a bit middier, so these will hopefully do what I`m after.

Cool. I ask as I have Chromes on one bass and La Bellas on another, and although I prefer the sound of the La Bellas I actually find them stiffer/harder to play! I've only had them on a couple of weeks, so maybe I'll get used to them yet.

I definitely agree with you on the Rotosounds...they don't do it for me on this comparison.

Well I`ve gone from Roto Rounds, Heavy Gauge, to Chromes, Medium Gauge, so there isn`t really that much of a difference in tension for me. Suits my playing as well, I can dig in when needed without floppy-string/fre-buzz-syndrome. I can see though that if someone was going from medium gauge rounds to these they may be in for a surprise.

Edited by Lozz196

You should all try some of the Ernie Ball Flats. I use Group IIIs and they are medium tension, quite bright at first but that fades into that wonderful thuddy flat tone.

I've use TIs and they are great...low tension.

La Bella's would be you stiff for me as I like to be able to play very fast...

On the demo the Rotos are my least favourite.

I have a set of D'Addario Chromes on an Ibanez and Thomastik on my Vintage Fretless, Ive got to say, i much prefer the Thomastiks, they have a more even tone, less tension and you can slide easier with them, the d'addario's have a resistance/stickiness to them when sliding and they took a long time to wear in.

I've settled on TI flats. like putting on your favourite slippers. Lovely feel, low tension but not floppy, nice top end tone but with a nice thump too. Both my Precisions have them on now, anything else just feels wrong.

Congrats for the idea !
Thanks for giving us the opportunity to really compare.
I use Tomastick flats on my B10 Takamanie, they worth the price (quite expensive ).
I am looking for flats for my Maple fingerboard fretless.
Your job helps me a lot :)

Edited by Emanew

Great vids, thank so much!

I can recommend sadowsky flats if you like the tonal profile of the Labellas but want a bit more cut in the mix, they are like a modernized version of these classic flats. Every time Ihear TIs on a recording they blow me away, and I have tried them on a few basses and absolutely loved the tone, but I find them a tad too flexible to be really comfortable with. I like hitting flats a bit harder, just me.

My '61 P is wearing discontinued Dean Markley flats, crazy that they stopped making these just as flats came back into fashion somewhat.

• 2 weeks later...