Why become a member? ×

Janek Gwizdala giving away his albums for free download

davewarwickbass

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1356342167' post='1909259']
For me, jazz is a bit like sprouts. I feel I ought to like it, but every time I try it, I still go "yuk". I don't get it.

I'll have a listen and see what happens this time.
[/quote]

That's almost the same as me - except that I do like sprouts :)

Guest bassman7755

For me, jazz is a bit like sprouts. I feel I ought to like it, but every time I try it, I still go "yuk". I don't get it.

I'll have a listen and see what happens this time.
[/quote]

4 tracks in I gave up trying to find something on there I recognised as "bass", I mean there someone messing around playing random pitches with what sounded like a tone generator ...

Guest bassman7755

[/quote]

Every musician goes through this "jazz guilt" phase, you ultimately realise either that you can genuinely love it, or that you don't have to beat yourself up for not loving it since no genre is innately superior to any other.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1356345548' post='1909291']
I don't think of what JG plays as Jazz
[/quote]

He doesn't call his music 'Jazz' either.

I've already got all his albums and I dig them-especially 'Live at the 55 Bar' and 'The Space
in Between'.

For the Janek aficionados. If I were to download just one, which should it be?

I've never really listened to any of his material, and call me old fashioned, but to download [b]everything[/b] for nowt just doesn't sit well with me. I'd like to get a flavour before I dip my toe further. I can use more mixed metaphors later :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1356359379' post='1909478']
For the Janek aficionados. If I were to download just one, which should it be?
[/quote]

Out of his studio albums 'The Space in Between' is my favourite. 'Mystery to Me' is cool,and 'It Only
Happens Once' is more electronic/experimental.
For live albums I'd get 'Live at the 55 Bar',which was his only live album released on CD.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1356359828' post='1909483']
Out of his studio albums 'The Space in Between' is my favourite. 'Mystery to Me' is cool,and 'It Only
For live albums I'd get 'Live at the 55 Bar',which was his only live album released on CD.
[/quote]

Thank you Doddy, I'll download Mystery to Me and give it a listen. Cheers

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1356359828' post='1909483']
[/quote]

and my favourite track is 'Mana' from the 55 bar.

I'm a big fan of Janek, and jazz generally. To me it's just music. I don't give a bollocks what people want to call it in terms of a genre, to me it's just music. I'm a rock player, but to me all good music is fabulous, whatever you want to call it.

Go and sample some of Janeks' music. Open your ears and enjoy, and don't let anyone unload their blinkered opinions onto you, just make your own mind up.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1358163989' post='1933934']
Interesting. So, given the general hostility to 'playing for free' in these here parts on the basis that it makes life tougher for bands trying to scrape a living, what's the general view on musicians giving away their music for free?
[/quote]

I think you have to give this sort of music away for free, it's fairly experimental free form groove stuff, it's hardly likely to sell in any great quantity so giving it away and being highly public about it is one way of getting a few more fans. I have no objection to that.

So it's OK to give away unpopular stuff but not to give away stuff that people actually like?

I'm not disagreeing with your basic point, just trying to understand the inconsistency with the general distaste previsoulsy expressed on here about playing for free. Or perhaps playing jazz for free is OK? ;)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1358167031' post='1934011']
So it's OK to give away unpopular stuff but not to give away stuff that people actually like?

I'm not disagreeing with your basic point, just trying to understand the inconsistency with the general distaste previsoulsy expressed on here about playing for free. Or perhaps playing jazz for free is OK? ;)
[/quote]

No, he is trying to develop a market I think. He makes a living as a musician so I don't think he's got it far wrong, it's a different type of business model.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358167454' post='1934023']

No, he is trying to develop a market I think. He makes a living as a musician so I don't think he's got it far wrong, it's a different type of business model.
[/quote]

Factor into that that he's unlikely to make money from selling his own music and I think it's absolutely fine what he's doing, absolute standard practice.