Why become a member? ×

Music stores that do layaway...?

Evil Undead

I want to buy some gear on layaway. I only know of one music store that gives the option, but only for 60 days. I was really hoping to do it for 6 months (max).

Does anyone know a store that would let me buy roughly £800 worth of gear over 6 months?

I'd rather do it that way and pay it off before getting the stuff rather than taking out credit. Me no likey credit.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1356190262' post='1907779']
I think you're going to be out of luck there. Why not go for a 0% interest arrangement?

[url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/finance-information"]http://www.dawsons.c...nce-information[/url]
[/quote]

Really? Bummer.

Nah, I don't want to get credit. Thanks anyway.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1356193356' post='1907811']
Why not just save up the money and then spend it ? Why does the gear have to be laid away ? Why not just save up and buy it new when you have the money ?
[/quote]

I'm the sort of person who likes to have a firm goal to work towards. Setting things aside gives me a clear goal.

I think most independant shops will do it if you ask, I have done it in the past when I was at school/college to stop me spending the money. Obviously be aware that we are in uncertain economic times, 3 of our local shops have got white wash over the windows and no sign of any instruments anymore which is not good if they owe you money or a bass! :(

One of those tins that you cant get the cash out of unless you use a can opener might work?

savings account linked to main account monthly transfer you cant spend the money unless you log in or phone up to transfer it back :) works for me once the monies out of my current account i dont spend it

Edit no idea of any that do layaway most offer 0% credit for short term with that theres a legal contract involved so neither party should lose out

Edited by mushers

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1356193714' post='1907817']
I'm the sort of person who likes to have a firm goal to work towards. Setting things aside gives me a clear goal.
[/quote]

Why not set aside the monthly payments then? Isn't that a clear goal? Combined with a 0% credit deal that would seem to be the best of both worlds. AND, your credit rating will be boosted by making the regular monthly payments. Win-win-win??

Edited by flyfisher

[i]I'm the sort of person who likes to have a firm goal to work towards. Setting things aside gives me a clear goal. [/i]

That's fair enough , [b]BUT[/b] , have you considered that if you save the money without committing yourself to a particular peice of gear at a set price then in the interim period you could change your mind about what you want , or you could see the same item at a better price ? Admittedly , the item could also go up in price , but to me the benefits of not committing yourself far outweigh that risk . The reason so few stores do lay-away nowadays is that most people don't wan't it because it makes no real sense , not just because of the free availability of credit .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1356195895' post='1907862']
I know what items I want. I guess I'm just really nervous about them being discontinued or something in the time it takes me to save the money. Neither item comes up on the used market very often. I don't want to miss out.
[/quote]

In that case , if you are determined that lay -away is best , you can always approach a shop that has the item in stock and ask them if you can put a deposit on and then pay the balance off before taking the goods away . They can only say no , and will probably say yes because they have nothing to lose as it is no risk to them .

I've done this in private sales before. Never had a problem.

I work at BassGear one day a week to help out my friend who owns the store. Pretty sure he'll be happy to agree something along these lines for you.

Check his stock and see if there's anything that takes your fancy :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1356217761' post='1908183']
I've done this in private sales before. Never had a problem.

I work at BassGear one day a week to help out my friend who owns the store. Pretty sure he'll be happy to agree something along these lines for you.

Check his stock and see if there's anything that takes your fancy :)
[/quote]

Private sales? As in you and another individual, not a shop?

Bass Gear is an amazing store! But one of the things I'm after is a Squier, I'm sure they don't stock those ;)

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1356218074' post='1908187']

Private sales? As in you and another individual, not a shop?

Bass Gear is an amazing store! But one of the things I'm after is a Squier, I'm sure they don't stock those ;)
[/quote]

I've done it at least three times on a private sale with someone else here from BC :)

BG doesn't get a lot of Squiers in but they did pick up a funky MIM Jazz in PX today if that's any help.

Yeh - get it on some sort of 0% credit card or similar deal. I know you say you don't want credit but one day you might *need* credit and then you'll have no credit history. Assuming you don't want it on principal rather than you know you have no self-control btw?

In the current economic climate, I wouldn't just give a shop money and hope they were still there in 6 months. Too risky!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1356250968' post='1908316']
Yeh - get it on some sort of 0% credit card or similar deal. I know you say you don't want credit but one day you might *need* credit and then you'll have no credit history. Assuming you don't want it on principal rather than you know you have no self-control btw?

In the current economic climate, I wouldn't just give a shop money and hope they were still there in 6 months. Too risky!
[/quote]

Spot on. A store asked me for 50% deposit on a 4 month bass order. Walked away. In this climate its too risky, especially considering it used to be 10-20% and I know for a fact the store doesn't pay for the bass until it actually ships to them. They then have the usual 30 days as well.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1356254901' post='1908353']

Spot on. A store asked me for 50% deposit on a 4 month bass order. Walked away. In this climate its too risky, especially considering it used to be 10-20% and I know for a fact the store doesn't pay for the bass until it actually ships to them. They then have the usual 30 days as well.
[/quote]

Depends which brand - deposits vary by supplier. There are certainly some that demand 50% up front before they will begin to build a bass.

There's also loads of suppliers who will not give any credit and insist on advance payment before shipping.

In fact of the, better, ones I've worked with recently I can think of only one that gives any form of credit.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1356255427' post='1908360']

Depends which brand - deposits vary by supplier. There are certainly some that demand 50% up front before they will begin to build a bass.

There's also loads of suppliers who will not give any credit and insist on advance payment before shipping.

In fact of the, better, ones I've worked with recently I can think of only one that gives any form of credit.
[/quote]

All of which is a very good reason for using a credit card. I know many people are 'scared' of using credit cards but used correctly they can offer many advantages. In the example of a deposit, paying it by credit card gives you a contract with the card company and so it the shop goes bust before delivering the ordered product you can get your money back from the card company. If you pay be cash or cheque then you have to join the queue with all the other creditors when a retailer goes bust - meaning you'll get virtually nothing back and have to wait for years even if you do.

Plus, as been mentioned before, sensible use of a credit card will enhance your credit rating. Using a credit card doesn't mean taking on debt. All you have to do it pay off the full balance every month and there is no interest to pay, even though you get 4-5 weeks of free credit and, with the right sort of card, 1% cashback for everything you spend.

So really, unless you are hopelessly useless with money, credit cards give you many advantages.