Why become a member? ×

reference albums

darkandrew

Following on from a post i've just made in another thread (about duran duran) where I confessed that Duran Duran's Rio is my "go to" reference album when recording or mixing pop tracks, I just wondered what other recordings people turn to as a reference when recording or mixing various genres of music.

Edited by darkandrew

I ahven't got as far as recording or mixing as yet , but one of my favourite albums for sound and mix was always ABC Lexicon of love , I thought it was about perfect , at least on the stuff I was listening through , that was Vinyl, I got the CD but it didn't seem quite as crisp .

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1355613707' post='1900680']
One of my favourite albums for sound and mix was always ABC Lexicon of love , I thought it was about perfect
[/quote]
You can't go wrong with most of Trevor Horn's productions. Last year's Yes album, despite what you may think of it musically, is one of the best recorded albums i've heard in a long time.

In step - Steve Ray Vaughan, particularly 'Crossfire', and Kind of Blue by MIles Davis - although I think you have to actually play something for reference which is akin to the music you will be looking to 'judge'. It also depends on what sort of sound you want : warm, analogue and natural, or digital and very clean and clinical...........or somewhere in the thousands of steps that sit between? The Robert Plant/Alison Krauss album 'Raising Sand' is a great record from a recording pov imho, and done very old school - as is Tom Jones album 'Praise and Blame', which was recorded with Tom and the band playing/singing together as it would have been 50 years ago. I like 'natural' sounding recordings, but also have a soft spot for ABC's Lexicon of Love, which is light years from that! No right answers - your music, your ears.

I use In Absentia and Deadwing by Porcupine Tree for a lot of things, as well as Absolution (MUSE), Sacrament (Lamb of God) and Last Kind Words (DevilDriver).

I also use Death Magnetic, St. Anger (Metallica) and Vapor Trails (Rush) as 'negative' references - if my mixes sound like these albums, start again!

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1355657319' post='1900935']
Think beyond the genre. We play Americana but the band who got mentioned most in the studio last week for us was The Beatles. I think the trick is to beg, borrow and steal from the best of everything to give your music more of an edge
[/quote]

Over the years I've been asked on more than one occasion to "make my drums sound like Ringo's" but to be honest I've got no idea what Ringo's drums sound like! At the risk of offending loads of people, to my ears most of the George Martin produced songs have terrible drums (all rattle and no tone) while the only decent drum sound can be found on "Let it be", the only recording that he didn't produce. In the end I just side mic'd the snare and recorded the rest of the kit as dry and as damped as possible.