Why become a member? ×

This Jake Bugg kid- really the next big thing?

MiltyG565

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1355500701' post='1899335']
Yes, very good, but then i might think "I made a lot of money there, maybe i could make more with a second album". I don't want the motivation for any of my albums to be money. It's just something that i will do when i'm ready.
[/quote]

Look, I'm sorry to say this, but you are sounding rather naive. Most of us here have music and integrity as the priority, of course we do, but we also want to sell a lot of our music and tickets to our shows so we can at least cover expenses and preferably make a profit to plough into more musical projects.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1355502559' post='1899379']
Look, I'm sorry to say this, but you are sounding rather naive. Most of us here have music and integrity as the priority, of course we do, but we also want to sell a lot of our music and tickets to our shows so we can at least cover expenses and preferably make a profit to plough into more musical projects.
[/quote]

Very good, that's all fine, but i just don't want to do that. I want to learn.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1355502769' post='1899382']
Very good, that's all fine, but i just don't want to do that. I want to learn.
[/quote]

To learn, you must listen and question and develop.

I think you are stuck in a philosophical hamster wheel, so there's no point in us carrying on with this. I have no idea why you started this thread now because you are clearly not interested in how the music industry works. You been told, but you still argue the bleedin obvious.

Best of luck with your album mate.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1355503030' post='1899389']
To learn, you must listen and question and develop.

I think you are stuck in a philosophical hamster wheel, so there's no point in us carrying on with this. I have no idea why you started this thread now because you are clearly not interested in how the music industry works. You been told, but you still argue the bleedin obvious.

Best of luck with your album mate.
[/quote]

No, i'll see sense someday. I'm just not in the best frame of mind.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1355499337' post='1899306']
I don't think i am looking at it through rose tinted glasses, i know what goes on. But money = the corruption of any person, organisation or industry. That's where the entire thing fell down really, seeing that they could sell more than just music. Personally, i wouldn't mind recording and putting out my own CD, and not worrying about any of that PR stuff, and just letting whatever money it makes come to me. Doesn't matter to me. If somebody wants to listen to me, they will buy my CD.
[/quote]

'Money = the corruption of any person, organisation or industry'. Kind of an ironic statement don't you think? Money is industry, period. You're obviously passionate about music and I really like that but I think you're struggling to separate what constitutes good music from the industry that deals with music as a commodity.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1355505554' post='1899435']
'Money = the corruption of any person, organisation or industry'. Kind of an ironic statement don't you think? Money is industry, period. You're obviously passionate about music and I really like that but I think you're struggling to separate what constitutes good music from the industry that deals with music as a commodity.
[/quote]

Yeah, sorry, i'm just a bit of a state today.

[quote name='andyjingram' timestamp='1355504619' post='1899421']
I wasn't considering it an argument- hope it didn't come across that way! B)

I'm not doing a very good job of saying what I mean, but I guess my core point is that any act which has mass, sycnhronous exposure has achieved that by aquring the services of PR professionals to arrange the whole thing. A situation in which every form of media is pushing an artist all at the same time as 'the next big thing' (or the next record from your favourite band) doesn't happen by chance. Certainly, related to the question of why Mssr. Bugg has all this fuss about him, it is that PR 'big push' that we are seeing.

Of course, if an act really is terrible, then people won't buy it. And if they're great, then all the better that they were given the chance to reach so many people.

Online conversations can get very conlvoluted sometimes. I'm sure if we were having this discussion over a beer it would have flowed much better! :D
[/quote]
Ahh. No worries, I'm sure I wasn't being especially clear at times either. My apologies either way! I think in a real-life conversation we'd have got through multiple topics of conversation and put the world to rights over a couple of pints by now :D

MiltyG565, what you rather be doing playing music or something else that you have to do in order to put a roof over your head and food on the table. I know which one I prefer. Every hour spent having to do the second takes time away from doing what I really love. It would be great to be able to make a living playing music and in order to do that I have to get my music out the maximum number of people possible.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1355505893' post='1899440']

Yeah, sorry, i'm just a bit of a state today.
[/quote]

It's fine, it's not my intention to browbeat you into accepting this stuff so sorry if it came across as such. BRX said it all, music should be something you love, and it sounds like we're similar in our passion for music so that's what really matters. The big suits will forever be the people that carve up the takings.

I think when I was 15 or so I would have said its all about the music and not the money. But when u go up and down the country playing sh*tty pubs and clubs and being told you should be greatful for the £5 they pay you, or playing crap holiday parks (especially the haven in hastings) infront of large amounts of pissed/ horney Jeremy Kyle-anites, who got a weeks worth of quality static caravaning for £20 and 10 coupons from the sun, then money really does matter a lot more. Why should it just be about the music when you have beer spilt on you and having pissed people shout mustang Sally every 2 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I love gigging but there are to many sh*t gigs to make me want to do it for love of music and not the money. So if some record company big cheese signed me up and told me to dress up like lady gaga for a massive amount of wonga..... Ide think about it.

Also it's funny how some examples have been used like rage against the machine and Simon Crowell, In ways that say ones better than the other, when at the end of the day they have the same bosses.

[quote name='andyjingram' timestamp='1355535774' post='1899808']
Ah, The Haven. That's a hometown one for me. You and I are sort of sh*thole exchange students- I played a genuine one-man-and-his-dog in Taunton a few years back! We should have swapped gigs and saved the petrol.
[/quote]

Lucky for me I was living in Bournemouth at the time and got a lift :). Taunton a Somerset as a whole s pretty crap for gigging. You'd be lucky to cover cost in most places. It's bad to think that most of my gigs are 80 miles away and I still earn more than double than I can around here after petrol.

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1355931889' post='1904658']
Don't mind his music to be honest, though I kind of pity him because he's destined to be another record company puppet.
Anyway - there's a BBC video of him playing live, and his bass player has a rather nice Musicman....
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqZY26E3wWI[/media]
[/quote]

That was alright TBH, but your right about the puppet part i think.