Why become a member? ×

This Jake Bugg kid- really the next big thing?

MiltyG565

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1355494328' post='1899201']
But Cheryl Cole still can't sing, no matter how many takes she does.
[/quote]

And? She's a musical ready meal. You serve a well made ready meal to your friends, the fact you didn't cook it doesn't mean they will not enjoy it, until maybe they find out the truth which may sour the taste somewhat. It doesn't matter that CC can't sing, that's only a tiny part of her money making enterprises.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1355494670' post='1899210']
And? She's a musical ready meal. You serve a well made ready meal to your friends, the fact you didn't cook it doesn't mean they will not enjoy it, until maybe they find out the truth which may sour the taste somewhat. It doesn't matter that CC can't sing, that's only a tiny part of her money making enterprises.
[/quote]

Very true. But i still won't listen to her on the grounds of principle.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1355494328' post='1899201']
But Cheryl Cole still can't sing, no matter how many takes she does.
[/quote]
*facepalm* Multiple albums would suggest otherwise, unless you have some different definition to singing I don't know about.

[quote name='andyjingram' timestamp='1355494357' post='1899204']
Very intersesting video, I'm off out now but I will try to rememebr to come back to that.

There are indeed some terrible artist who get the big push. The product still has to be good, or perhaps I should say 'have some discernable merit'.

The Gun 'n' Roses thing would suggest that anyone who bought the first record the first time round only did so due to seeing the band at a gig or or from their own flyers or such. I'm sure they did work extremly hard, as I assume the namesake of this post has, and many artist who are successful, but much of that early work is part of the lead up to gaining the chance for widespread exposure. People can't possibly like what they don't know about, and no band can possibly play to the entire world just by being on the road all the time. G'n'R no doubt worked their arses off, and cetainly had the product to back it up, but until they were 'in the media' the casual record buying public would not have been aware of them, or at least not percieved them as a big band.
[/quote]
I don't really understand what your point is now. Are you saying 'promo is a big help, but the act has to be of discernible merit for people to want it?' if so, that's what I've been saying since my first comment, so I don't know what we are arguing about?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1355493167' post='1899168']
Maybe she should look at other careers that would use those attributes and skills without forcing her to mime all the time?
[/quote]

Why in god's name would you do that when you could make millions and millions of pounds like she does, doing what she does already? It would be a terrible decision and let's face it, any qualms about integrity are usually the first thing to go when you get offered the kind of money we're talking about.

I think you might be viewing the industry with rose-tinted specs on because it is largely a myth that artists will appear on the airwaves, the top 40 and on TV etc based on merit. Certainly not nowadays and never directly in the 60's, 70's 80's either. The people that bring you music are the people that run the industry, they're the people that want to generate a profit from what they do and like a lot of big business integrity doesn't even creep into the equation. They want to squeeze profit from an artist, with Cheryl Cole it's like shooting fish in a barrel with young girls because everybody wants to look like her, sing like her, be her etc.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1355498740' post='1899290']
Why in god's name would you do that when you could make millions and millions of pounds like she does, doing what she does already? It would be a terrible decision and let's face it, any qualms about integrity are usually the first thing to go when you get offered the kind of money we're talking about.

I think you might be viewing the industry with rose-tinted specs on because it is largely a myth that artists will appear on the airwaves, the top 40 and on TV etc based on merit. Certainly not nowadays and never directly in the 60's, 70's 80's either. The people that bring you music are the people that run the industry, they're the people that want to generate a profit from what they do and like a lot of big business integrity doesn't even creep into the equation. They want to squeeze profit from an artist, with Cheryl Cole it's like shooting fish in a barrel with young girls because everybody wants to look like her, sing like her, be her etc.
[/quote]

I don't think i am looking at it through rose tinted glasses, i know what goes on. But money = the corruption of any person, organisation or industry. That's where the entire thing fell down really, seeing that they could sell more than just music. Personally, i wouldn't mind recording and putting out my own CD, and not worrying about any of that PR stuff, and just letting whatever money it makes come to me. Doesn't matter to me. If somebody wants to listen to me, they will buy my CD.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1355499337' post='1899306']
I don't think i am looking at it through rose tinted glasses, i know what goes on. But money = the corruption of any person, organisation or industry. That's where the entire thing fell down really, seeing that they could sell more than just music. Personally, i wouldn't mind recording and putting out my own CD, and not worrying about any of that PR stuff, and just letting whatever money it makes come to me. Doesn't matter to me. If somebody wants to listen to me, they will buy my CD.
[/quote]

I honestly think you do have the rosy specs on mate :)

[/quote]

Be prepared to have a lot of CDs left over after you've sold your few to friends and family.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I've done it myself in the past. But I've sold a lot more CDs when I've actually made an effort to promote and market them.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1355499655' post='1899312']
I honestly think you do have the rosy specs on mate :)
[/quote]

I don't, i just think there are a lot of people in the industry who couldn't care less about music.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1355499824' post='1899320']
Be prepared to have a lot of CDs left over after you've sold your few to friends and family.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I've done it myself in the past. But I've sold a lot more CDs when I've actually made an effort to promote and market them.
[/quote]

As with anything.

[/quote]

Ok assuming you get your cd's printed. Lets assume you get 500 printed for whatever reason :

500 x [url="http://www.discwizards.com/duplication-printed-sleeve.htm"]cd's[/url] = around £340 (lets ignore artwork costs, recording, mastering)
You sell around 20 cd's to friends and family at £5 each = £100

With no further PR you have 480 cd's left, and you're £240 out of pocket.

With good PR you might sell all of your cd's, lets assume you're giving them 10% (I know nothing about how this works), that's £4.50 made for each cd.

500 x 4.50 = £2250 - printing costs £1910 profit.

I know which makes more sense to me :D

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1355500457' post='1899332']
Ok assuming you get your cd's printed. Lets assume you get 500 printed for whatever reason :

500 x [url="http://www.discwizards.com/duplication-printed-sleeve.htm"]cd's[/url] = around £340 (lets ignore artwork costs, recording, mastering)
You sell around 20 cd's to friends and family at £5 each = £100

With no further PR you have 480 cd's left, and you're £240 out of pocket.

With good PR you might sell all of your cd's, lets assume you're giving them 10% (I know nothing about how this works), that's £4.50 made for each cd.

500 x 4.50 = £2250 - printing costs £1910 profit.

I know which makes more sense to me :D
[/quote]

Yes, very good, but then i might think "I made a lot of money there, maybe i could make more with a second album". I don't want the motivation for any of my albums to be money. It's just something that i will do when i'm ready.