Why become a member? ×

I'm really here for a bit of a rant

GreeneKing

Okay so we're not very original but we're 3 committed musicians and a drummer who have worked hard to get a reasonably tight set. We do the 'old classic rock' thing and around here (Kendal in the Lakes) there's not a big music scene. The drummer is great, rock solid and loud making my job easy. The lead guitarist is a talented guy who's really into his 'classic rock' (hence the band's direction) and the rhythm guitarist is great. A good reliable band.

Except the singer who cancels at short notice, doesn't learn his songs, turns up pissed and at times fails to show at all.

Tonight I'd arranged for two of the lads at school where I work to come along to watch (an autistic residential school for boys). They are both musicians themselves. I needed to make some arrangements, get permission, a risk assessment done and clear it with the opposite shift.

Just after I'd loaded the bass gear and the PA into the van I get a text, singer has cancelled.

We've tried long and hard to find another singer and we're supposed to have our 1st gig in 3 weeks time :rolleyes:

If anyone knows of a singer in these parts who may be interested please pm me.

Grr.......

Edited by GreeneKing

It is tough to find committed reliable musicians generally, but the mentality of those who often fancy themselves as singers (whether they can sing or not) tends to be less reliable than other instrumentalists. I see that in students as well.

I may know some teachers up your way with students game for that sort of thing - what sort of age bracket and material are you doing?

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1355386795' post='1897556']
My point is, we really don't have an alternative. No singer and we probably fold. This is the 2nd band I've been in where a lack of singers prevents us moving forward.

Frustrating it is.
[/quote]

There's always an alternative, and by thinking the way you do, you're just enabling him to be a cliched lead singer and mess you about unchallenged.

Sack him off and up your game as a band and a singer will come along.

We're in the same situation with our rock band. Our singer was sacked for being unreliable, smoking dope at rehearsals and gigs, and not contributing to band expenses. That was 8 weeks ago. Manchester's a busy music scene so we thought we'd find a replacement fairly easily. No - we've auditioned 7 people and either they couldn't sing or they were too cock-sure, sometimes both. So, we've had to be a bit creative in our search:

- Contact local singing teachers and ask if they have any promising pupils who might be interested. Two teachers put themselves forward.

- Contact local agents and ask if any solo singers on their books are looking to sing with a full band.

- Write an "anti-ad" and post it on the usual websites under a new user name; "Talentless singer wanted. We are a haphazard group of immature X-Factor wannabes currently making an utter hash of songs by....."

- Female singer? Trawling through the muso websites suggests that there are more female singers available than males. I found a singer for my second band - a funk outfit - fairly easily, even though the band wanted a male.

Good luck to you. Good, reliable, friendly, audience-aware, non karaoke-expert, help-with-carrying-drums singers are rare indeed.

Steve

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1355347006' post='1897321']
..... we're 3 committed musicians [b]and a drummer [/b].....[/quote]

Loved the quote ...lol :D

Regarding the singer....goodbye! As others have mentioned try doing the songs between you and dont dismiss the option of a female singer who can really belt out a toon!

I used to suffer with that - I could never get my head around things like playing the riff to Daytripper and singing at the same time. All it takes is some training. Get something like "Transcribe!" and take a track you know on bass and would like to sing. Slow it down real slow and really focus on where the words land in relation to where the bass notes are. After a while, you gain the independence you need between your voice and your hands. It will become second nature. Stick with it - one day the switch will flick where your vocals and bass will seperate.

It used to be a nightmare - even talking to the drummer midset, my playing would drag to the rhythm I was speaking in!

All good now though.

• 5 weeks later...

Coming back to this forgotten thread. We did indeed sack the singer and lost our first gig on New Year (that he'd organised mainly to get his leg over with the pub landlady) in the process.

He then told us he was going solo after the gig anyway (more money in his pocket being the motive I suspect) and that he didn't give a toss about how well the gig went. He failed time and again to turn up, failed to learn his songs and when he did turn up he was always at least half an hour late/pissed. It was all our fault evidently :rolleyes:

We are still hunting and advertising for a new singer and if one doesn't materialise soon I can see our drummer walking. He's good and that would be a shame. Bands eh <_<

Edited by GreeneKing

Bloody Singers eh Pete. Some great advice from Steve, (Solo4652), another suggestion is to check out any Karaoke going on in any local pubs.
2 bands i have been involved in found vocalists this way. Most of the time you are listening to a "cat being strangled" but you can come across the odd gem.

Well, we've found a new singer after 4 months of searching - and that's in Manchester where there are loads more people than the Lake District. We've had deluded people who couldn't sing one note in tune, karaoke singers who could only sing a maximum of 4 songs before their voice gave out, plenty of people who just failed to turn up at all, three people who really wanted to play guitar, one chap who wanted us to be his backing band for his solo act and one chap who arrived as high as a kite. It's been comical, dispiriting and frustrating in equal measures. We'd decided to split the lead vocals between everybody else in the band and we were getting on with adjusting the setlist accordingly when our ad on Partysounds brought the right person in.

It may be that everybody else in your band will have to take on some singing while you continue looking for a lead singer.

Good luck to you - I know full well how elusive good singers are.

Edited by solo4652