Why become a member? ×

Low and fat or tall and skinny ?

JohnFitzgerald

I've yet to wheel out the newly acquired trace cabs (1153 and 2102) and have it in mind that I'll be going for vertical orientation. Primarily so the top 10" speaker on the 2102 is at lughole height, or as close as is practical given the actual size of the cabs.
It seems to be the preferred way for the likes of TC Electronics and their cabs.

So, what's it to be ?

[attachment=124791:post-16213-1304256474.jpg]

[size=6]Or.[/size]

[attachment=124792:Trace Elliot Cabs and Head (2).JPG]

There will be those of you with an ability to give a scientific reason why one or the other would be better.

Last questions. Were I to be stupid enough to liberate a bit of funds and pick up the other two matching cabs currently for sale on here, would it cause issues to have them side by side, i.e a pair of matching stacks.

I'm here for a good time, not a long time. Shove yer wee light cabs up yer a**e. B) :P

Don't see the point of unbalancing the cabs by stacking vertical.
You will get the usual guff as to why you should, but the TC thing is taking it to a limit...
I can just see that lot crashing down quite easily... and tbh, I'd say you'd deserve it..

If you really can't hear your rig..then I'd look at the reasons why from an EQ/sound POV.
I don't swallow the off axis issue for lower frequencies either, but to deal with the whole thing from my standpoint,
I don't need to do it..plus it looks as silly as f*** :lol:

If your bass isn't also going through the PA, then I'm with Pete.
Putting your cabs vertically gives a better sound dispersion over the audience (there's a few threads already about this) & also it puts the sound closer to you & your audiences ears.

I prefer the vertical look too. :)

Takes up less floor space but still the cabs are squat enough to be stable, gets the speakers closer to your ears, you get a little benefit in terms of mid-range dispersion, AND the TE badges are the right way up! :P What's not to like about the vertical stack?

If you got a second set of cabs, then 1. It wouldn't be technically ideal to have them side-by-side but 2. It's hard to see how to do it otherwise and 3. You probably wouldn't notice or care about the sonic difference

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1355256512' post='1896092']
Takes up less floor space but still the cabs are squat enough to be stable, gets the speakers closer to your ears, you get a little benefit in terms of mid-range dispersion, AND the TE badges are the right way up! :P What's not to like about the vertical stack?

If you got a second set of cabs, then 1. It wouldn't be technically ideal to have them side-by-side but 2. It's hard to see how to do it otherwise and 3. You probably wouldn't notice or care about the sonic difference
[/quote]

I could have a stack either side of the drummer.
He'd love that....

Not.

And yes, you're right, I wouldn't notice or care about the sonic difference.
It's all just furniture after a certain point.

Edited by JohnFitzgerald

You have a similar rig that I had 16yrs ago (albeit with a AH500X head). It was a belting rig and my first proper pro backline. I always mounted the cabs vertically so that I could hear the 210 a bit more clearly. LOL...I will always remember the guitar player (whom I lived to annoy at any given chance because he was an utter t*t) in the band I was playing for at the time freaking out when I did that because it made his crappy, puny little 40w Marshall Valvestate combo look like a lunch box! Ahhhh...happy times!

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1355272453' post='1896350']
Horizontal dispersion is inversely proportional to the width of the source, so having the two tens vertical will double the dispersion angle compared to having them horizontal.
[/quote]

Bill
Might this explain the logic behind the slot opening in the old Trace BLX combos ?

P.S. Thanks for your's and others' input. I was always going for vertical stacking, just didn't want to miss out on something else obvious.

Edited by JohnFitzgerald

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1355317933' post='1896808']
Might this explain the logic behind the slot opening in the old Trace BKLX combos ?
[/quote]

The old BLX80? It certainly had that effect, they were a 4th or 6th order bandpass design I think? The slot acted as a port that also allowed a proportion of direct radiated sound out to improve the bandwidth. Still a very scooped sound though! Real oddball design, but it worked surprisingly well in some contexts.

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1355317933' post='1896808']
Bill
Might this explain the logic behind the slot opening in the old Trace BKLX combos ?
[/quote]Slot loading makes the cab a bandpass, so that kills highs and mids anyway. But to the extent that they still are there a vertical slot will give wider dispersion than a horizontal slot. Diffraction is the mechanics in this particular instance, how it works is shown here:
http://www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk/feschools/waves/flash/diffractionslider.swf

While the diffraction model doesn't precisely explain the benefits of vertical placement, or for that matter the wider dispersion of a smaller driver, it's close enough.