Why become a member? ×

EHX Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi

jaydentaku

As I predicted, the switch on the crossover and you get a volume drop. Therefore as you won't be doing this mid song they should have made that a toggle switch and made the second footswitch do something useful like a feedback loop. Also those filters sound quite resonant - something which sounds good for a wah or a synth, but not on a crossover!

• 4 weeks later...

So I spent quite some time playing with it yesterday... The blend control is an awesome addition, even if set at 3 o'c as I have it right now... The added bite from the clean attack makes all the difference in making the Bass Big Muff a really useable pedal! It's such a simple thing I feel it should have been in the normal version all along, even if it meant it would cost a few more quid. Well worth it.

As for the other additions... DI... yeah nice to have but wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there, might never really need it. Personally don't need the pad switch either, but definitely useful for a lot of bassists. Gate also nice to have but this pedal is pretty quiet anyway... with sustain at 3 o'c I only need the gate at 9 o'c... so if it wasn't there it wouldn't make much difference, I expect noise from fuzz pedals and can live with it anyway. It's also not a gate that will choke your notes like the gate in the Zoom Ultra Fuzz, or the Zvex pedals... Only really acts on the hiss as far as I could hear (and does that well).

And the crossover... what do you guys think about this one? Personally, I can see it being useful as a tone-shaping tool at mid to low sustain / blend settings, but at high it just sounds harsh and horrible. At best can get a setting for a second more guitar-like sound, or a more telephone-like or muffled sound, to use as an odd effect at some part of a song, things you'd otherwise use an EQ pedal for... But don't really see much point.

In my view, the ideal approach would be to simply change the normal version to have an added blend knob and replace that switch with a pad switch. Leave DI, crossover and gate out, keep it cheap.
In the end I feel EHX always has to add some off-the-wall feature to their pedals to make them 'unique', in this case it's the crossover. But then how many people will REALLY use those things? Part of their branding and philosophy I guess, good on them to try to innovate, but now I have a massive pedal on my board and paid an extra 20 or 30 quid for it just because I want a blend control on my Bass Big Muff. :P

Edited by 1976fenderhead