Why become a member? ×

70's Glam Rock set list ?

dmccombe7

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1354555082' post='1887308']
It'd be a tough call who could shatter a wine class the quickest; Alan Williams or Andy Scott - and they're both as capable of hitting them notes now as they did back then.
I heard a story that "Showaddywaddy" got their name from the background lyric to that Rubettes song.
[/quote]As I (almost) said, [i]Alan[/i] was aided by a swift kick to the nads ;)
The Showaddy thing isn't quite right.
Sugar Baby Love was originally offered to the Waddys but they turned it down. The writers then formed a band for it, mostly consisting of the musicians that did the demo.

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1354486551' post='1886631']
How about a bit of Be Bop Deluxe - Axe Victim, 3rd Floor Heaven?[/quote]

As a bit of a fan, I didn't think of Be-Bop Deluxe being in any way Glam Rock at the time, but listening now to 'Jet Silver and the Dolls of Venus' does reveal a certain [i]Mott The Hoople[/i] feel I hadn't previously noticed... for me that band were always about 'Maid in Heaven', a perfect little pop creation. They never really made it big... a seriously underrated band, IMHO.

Great idea to have a set list of that stuff, it really is. 72 & 73 were great years for classic songs.

Pity it was just so uncool to buy it, or to admit to liking it at the time. 'cool people' only bought albums back then, and some people sort of wore albums, carrying them around under their afgan coated arm like a sort of statement about who they were. You wouldnt be seen dead carrying a Sweet album or a Slade album. they were for schoolgirls.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1354560125' post='1887392']
Pity it was just so uncool to buy it, or to admit to liking it at the time. 'cool people' only bought albums back then, and some people sort of wore albums, carrying them around under their afgan coated arm like a sort of statement about who they were. You wouldnt be seen dead carrying a Sweet album or a Slade album. they were for schoolgirls.
[/quote]

He he that's true. I would never put an album in a bag cos I wanted everyone to see what impeccible taste I had. (Even when a schoolgirl, ahem)
I expect all the commuters on the 203 bus to Staines were dead impressed. :rolleyes:

And of course the reason we had to carry them around in the first place was because we were all lending them to each other cos you couldn't get stuff off tinernet in those days, oh no.

I remember people walking round with lps under their arms when I was young , too . I was very young at the time though , and didn't really understand what joss sticks were . There were some hippies who lived in the big house across the road and me and my friends thought they looked like cowboys . Glam rock was definately a girlie thing , though . For most men back in the 1970s to be accused of being camp , or even more terrible ,being gay , was about the worst epithet that could be thrown at you . Make up and flamboyant outfits for men were not commonplace , contrary to popular stereotypes of that decade .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1354560125' post='1887392']
Great idea to have a set list of that stuff, it really is. [b]72 & 73 were great years for classic songs.[/b]

[/quote]Indeed they were! Not strictly 'songs' but, you could try sticking [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfQbkFp16cw"]this in yer set[/url], or [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGaVUApDVuY"]even this[/url]... Although, I'd be seriously impressed if anyone could even approach doing them justice.