Why become a member? ×

I'll Do Anything

bass_ferret

I should hate this stuff on principle, but I've been sucked in. Was the same last year with the Joseph one.

Jessie's going to win, that's as obvious as it was that Lee was going to win last year - she's in a different league to all the others. But I like Jodie. Then again, I have a thing for loud Northern lasses! :)

[quote name='Russ' post='197526' date='May 12 2008, 09:22 PM']I should hate this stuff on principle, but I've been sucked in. Was the same last year with the Joseph one.

Jessie's going to win, that's as obvious as it was that Lee was going to win last year - she's in a different league to all the others. But I like Jodie. Then again, I have a thing for loud Northern lasses! :)[/quote]

Is Jessie the Irish 18-year old one? Do you think Lord Lloyd Webber is hoping she literally would do anything?

[quote name='The Funk' post='197532' date='May 12 2008, 09:31 PM']Is Jessie the Irish 18-year old one? Do you think Lord Lloyd Webber is hoping she literally would do anything?[/quote]

That's her... the redhead with the wonky mouth. :) Although somehow I don't see her becoming the next Sarah Brightman...

[quote name='Muppet' post='197533' date='May 12 2008, 09:32 PM']Kevin Spacey's got a point though! Weeks of licence payers money spent on advertising Lloyd Webber's latest rehash, whilst serious productions get nothing...[/quote]

It's not ALW's musical this time - Oliver is Cameron Mackintosh's show. I must admit to being a little disappointed with the choice of Oliver as the musical for this year though, as the role of Nancy isn't hugely demanding from a vocal perspective. It would have been far more interesting to keep the ALW theme and cast a new Christine for Phantom, or Eva Peron for Evita - both far more demanding vocal and acting roles.

I take Kevin Spacey's point - it's giving a load of extra free publicity for ALW/Cameron Mackintosh's shows, but, to be fair, having TV auditions for roles in the plays that Spacey puts on wouldn't make for very good telly. :)

[quote name='thinman' post='197668' date='May 13 2008, 07:54 AM']Yet another John Barrowman! John Barrowman! John Barrowman! vehicle. They've only got to bring him back into Dr Who and he'd be in three programmes in a row.

That Jessie seems a lovely girl but born 40 years too late.[/quote]

He will be back on DW at the end of the series for the last couple of episodes (bring on Davros!). If I'd Do Anything and that game show he's on with the kids were still on by then, he would be on three shows in a row... luckily, I think both the other shows finish before the DW finale.

I like John Barrowman, but that's just over-exposure...

Edited by Russ

Completely hooked!

Been away for 2 weeks and only just watched the episode when Sarah got kicked out - I thought she was one of the favourites. Bit too smiley though.

Have to own up that the missus & I have booked tickets for the show next February!!

Although the BBC would not dare rig the vote like ITV did, the song choice has a significant impact on the voting and some of the girls had really crap songs this week.

I would like to see Jodie in the ridiculously high heels and short skirts some of them had to wear this week. But then again, maybe not :)

It's probably very non-PC of me, but both the future Mrs Zero and myself were rather tickled when the question for a programme featuring John Barrowman and Graham Norton was "Who will be my Nancy?"

That, admittedly, is as far as we've ever watched...

[quote name='tauzero' post='198566' date='May 14 2008, 10:50 AM']It's probably very non-PC of me, but both the future Mrs Zero and myself were rather tickled when the question for a programme featuring John Barrowman and Graham Norton was "Who will be my Nancy?"

That, admittedly, is as far as we've ever watched...[/quote]

You missed this week's classic line from Mr Norton then:

"So there you are just getting into the bath and six nancies turn up - who would have thought a thing like that might happen" :)

[quote name='Russ' post='197546' date='May 12 2008, 09:43 PM']I take Kevin Spacey's point - it's giving a load of extra free publicity for ALW/Cameron Mackintosh's shows, but, to be fair, having TV auditions for roles in the plays that Spacey puts on wouldn't make for very good telly. :)[/quote]

Whereas... :huh:

There aren't many sights I loathe more than that of the botoxed mug of ALW.

[quote name='Russ' post='197546' date='May 12 2008, 09:43 PM']I must admit to being a little disappointed with the choice of Oliver as the musical for this year though, as the role of Nancy isn't hugely demanding from a vocal perspective. It would have been far more interesting to keep the ALW theme and cast a new Christine for Phantom, or Eva Peron for Evita - both far more demanding vocal and acting roles.[/quote]

It's all dependent on what musical is next to be recast/hashed a bit like 70's tv series being re-done for cinema etc.

Why do the Beeb do this kind of stuff better than ITV? Their shows always seem much more tacky.

For the record I can't stand hearing contemporary pop/rock music sung in a theatrical/West-end-Wendy style.
Makes my skin crawl.

[quote name='Russ' post='197546' date='May 12 2008, 09:43 PM']I must admit to being a little disappointed with the choice of Oliver as the musical for this year though, as the role of Nancy isn't hugely demanding from a vocal perspective.[/quote]

On the other hand, there are probably more good tunes in this one musical than in ALW's entire lifetime output. Composed by Lionel Bart, who deserves a namecheck.

[quote name='chardbass' post='198799' date='May 14 2008, 03:08 PM']For the record I can't stand hearing contemporary pop/rock music sung in a theatrical/West-end-Wendy style.
Makes my skin crawl.[/quote]

Having played Bass for the West end Wendy Community on several show's ...
I cant agree more....
Soul less Bollock's :huh:
Shouting and Straying from the tune.. :huh:
Ad lib's all over the place :)
Back phrasing [ 'Cause they aint go not time] :huh:
And they think all that is Rock and Roll :huh:
And the tuning....what's that all about... :huh:

Thank god the Band / Orchestra is F..K..G Brilliant.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='199265' date='May 15 2008, 08:07 AM']I just feel really uncomforatble watching ALW...there is something not right there.[/quote]
Myself and Mrs Thinman were pondering the same. We then decided that anyone who's had kids will recognise that he bears a worrying similarity to a baby in a bouncer seat that surprises itself with its own belches.

[quote name='Muppet' post='197533' date='May 12 2008, 09:32 PM']Kevin Spacey's got a point though! Weeks of licence payers money spent on advertising Lloyd Webber's latest rehash, whilst serious productions get nothing...[/quote]
+_1

And on top of that, Graham Norton slowly morphing into a cross between Bruce Forsyth and Larry Grayson..